HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by raglafart, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:53 PM
Joined Mar 2013
51 Posts
Emma Frames or almost all of them

The help is appreciated. I've corrected the 'inaccurate' pieces and overlaid them on the plan as you will see. I didn't get to #'s 9 & 8. Hope to do those tomorrow. Let me know if I'm on the right track.. I use to build houses not ships. I'm not sure about the slots on the bottom of the frames yet. I have to lay them on the keel to check so be careful there.
Skipper_52 is offline Find More Posts by Skipper_52
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:38 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
Nice work Skipper. Great to see the plan coming together. This will be a nice boost to the model plan.
**Neons** Bob
**neons** is offline Find More Posts by **neons**
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:09 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,532 Posts
Welll she's a fat little boat I see. Bet she hauled a lot of fish in her day. pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 01:38 AM
Joined Mar 2013
51 Posts
Emma

Making headway. I had to adjust the frames just about everywhere and fix the keel for the slots. So as promised here's the frames. Print them full size 1:1 on 36 x 48"
paper. The same with the keel.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:11 AM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
This is for me is a great feat to have accomplished by you Skipper. I am not a good draftsman so the work you accomplish will be the icing on the cake. At some point I will have to make changes on the posts I did with the difference of the 1933 original hull lines to the Sterling Emma hull lines. You have done a great service for the many interested builders of this nice model. Maybe somewhere on your redraw you can note the printing instructions.
Thank you
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:31 PM
Joined Mar 2013
51 Posts
Emma Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
This is for me is a great feat to have accomplished by you Skipper. I am not a good draftsman so the work you accomplish will be the icing on the cake. At some point I will have to make changes on the posts I did with the difference of the 1933 original hull lines to the Sterling Emma hull lines. You have done a great service for the many interested builders of this nice model. Maybe somewhere on your redraw you can note the printing instructions.
Thank you
**Neons** Bob
What I'm eventually going to do Bob is a complete pdf set of drawings and instructions. I'm going to wait though until I finish cutting and assembling the skeleton. I'll make any necessary tweaks before I publish the book.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2013
51 Posts
Images

I hope you don;t mind posting 'too' much. If I'm being a pest let me know. As I said before I'm redrawing the entire Emma in Autocad. This will allow me to correct the frames and other problems I encountered on the 1st build and scale it to whatever size I want. I built a cnc router that can cut 45x x 40y so when the plans are done I can cut my pieces with accuracy. Any slight beveling will still have to be done by hand. The enclosed jpg is a rendering of the 3d model. I will use all of the hardware from the original kit when I start the build.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 05:33 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
Skipper.
That looks great. I can't wait to see your finish. Have you given thought to starting a Build Log in the boat groups? Ideally I think if you did that as the Dock Talk Groups protocall it would work work out preseving this thread as intended for the Vintage Boat plans. If you decide please leave a link here for all and I will subscribe to your Build Log if you choose to do that. You could refer to pages also here ih this Forum.
Just suggesting.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 14, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined Mar 2013
51 Posts
Build Log

Quote:
Originally Posted by **neons** View Post
Skipper.
That looks great. I can't wait to see your finish. Have you given thought to starting a Build Log in the boat groups? Ideally I think if you did that as the Dock Talk Groups protocall it would work work out preseving this thread as intended for the Vintage Boat plans. If you decide please leave a link here for all and I will subscribe to your Build Log if you choose to do that. You could refer to pages also here ih this Forum.
Just suggesting.
**Neons** Bob
Can you please point me to the correct spot? Thanks Bob
Old Mar 14, 2014, 08:55 PM
USA, MA, Swansea
Joined Mar 2003
2,679 Posts
Skipper
1: Go to the page top under where it has My RC Groups/Forums,etc.

2:Below it click the Thread - Boats/Dock Talk/Vintage..... Click - Dock Talk.

3:Right below the big Hobby King ad click .....New Thread.

4:A new page opens with a Title bar. Give your project a name. Upload all you want related to your project and how and what you are doing. Descibe it if you want to with photos to further show how you are doing it. Many people like to know how you are doing things so they can learn from you. They will also give you good ideas while building your model. It is almost like writing a book . You can do it all overtime as you feel your time alots you to. Take your time an use the first page to fill up with info and links. Take the 2nd page or more and reserve (Reseved) it also for yourself for future info. The opening pages can always be Edited anytime to add or change info if needed. You can copy and use anything I posted in here if needed. Whatever you want to do. It is your page. You will attract followers.

5: Just to the left of the Title there is a Category/Discussion. Click it and select what your Forum is going to be. Build Log or whatever.
**Neons** Bob
Old Mar 15, 2014, 08:04 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,532 Posts
Post a picture of your CNC nachine. Was it difficult to buid/ Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: What's a blog for?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:04 AM
Joined Mar 2013
51 Posts
CNC Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by norgale View Post
Post a picture of your CNC nachine. Was it difficult to buid/ Pete
I purchased the plans for the 1st machine from www.solsylva.com. The guy really had it together. It was an inexpensive (under $800.00) to build and was an excellent starting machine to teach you the basics. Over a period of 4 years it became a lil sloppy when the screws started to wear in and the backlash on the lead screws increased. For wood it was fine, it left a lil to be desired for aluminum. This video shows the 1st machine cutting a guitar body for my nephew.
MAKING A GUITAR (part one) (4 min 8 sec)

I decided to build the 2nd machine because I wanted a larger cutting area 40" x 45" and tighter tolerances. I completely designed the 2nd machine. It took me about 3 months to build it working in my spare time. My rapids increased to 60ipm. I designed it to hold a 1/2" router (Porter Cable) variable speed to better cut metals and take deeper cuts in wood. I cut anywhere from 10 ipm to 60 ipm.
New Machine at 90ipm.wmv (0 min 26 sec)

I gave the old machine to my son who is in the process of building a 3rd machine the same size but with a better rail/ drive system. We can post pics of that too if you want when we start assembling it.

For those of you that need to shake paint, watch this video of a paint shaker I built.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=3&theater
Last edited by Skipper_52; Mar 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM.