HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:41 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,587 Posts
Hey Reef_rc,

I asked you about the type of battery you are using to fly the model.

I am well aware of your Power System setup.

The Battery.....the Battery.....!

What Brand, the capacity and the discharge rate????

Thanks!
Carlos
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:42 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
carlos -

damn...sorry. That's what i get for being up late and surfing instead of getting my ZZZs.

Battery - mix of:
  • HK Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 30C Lipo Pack
  • Tenergy 25C 2200mAh 11.1V 3S
  • PZ 3S 2200mAh 25C
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:02 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,587 Posts
Reef_rc,

Those batteries do seem to be up for the Job to power everything on your model, unless of course some cell is weak or going bad.

Like a few others that have suggested earlier, I high recommend to acquire the needed tools for Electric RC flying such as a Watt Meter, and Li-POLY cell checker and balancer assuming your charger does not balance.

A hand held Propeller RPM digital meter is optional but, also highly useful.

Please consider calling MIKE at Hobby Services at the number in my previous postings.

Carlos
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:45 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Appreciate the help.

btw - I am using imax quattro b6 charger and charge all my batteries on balance every time so I know it's not the battery or the charger would have alerted me.

Watt meter is on it's way...hopefully by this Friday.

will keep you posted.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 10:51 AM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
(typically I just plug the darn thing in and go). .
Mee too! Prop (size?) balanced? This sometimes can tame some issues.
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Oct 30, 2011, 01:00 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
R.I.P

May my brief but fun Super Stearman rest in. She was a looker but had internal issue which was the cause of her demise.

-----------------------------

Short story, used the watt meter and amp was 30 - 32 AMP WOT. Thought maybe my timer was too long and there reduced flight time down to 6 minutes. Flew her a few times yesterday without issues. Flew her again 1 time this morning but 2nd time power went out again as I was heading to take her in for a landing. Hard landing on gravel and bump on concert block broke the bottom wingand motor mount. Landing gear also broke loose. I am definitely not a happy camper. I seemed to had servo control when she went down but she was going down so fast I couldn't get her to glide to slow down. I also tried restarting ESC in case the ESC shut her down but I didn't get any power back. It was only after the crash when I tested the motor again that the motor spinned again. I am pretty sure it's an ESC now. Looking hindsight, I wished I had changed the ESC as I had planned...somewhere 40-45 AMP to be sure instead of the 35 AMP (30-32 is too closed for my comfort).
Old Oct 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash, Reef. It is really aggravating when they crash because of electronic failures.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Oct 30, 2011, 10:43 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Me especially. Really would had like not to had damge her so soon. This one had been bad charma since the beginning. Will be a while before I'll consider putting this together again.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:34 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
418 Posts
I use a Castle ESC, Hitec Servos, Spektrum or JR receivers (at least one satellite with antenna at 90 deg angles). I use a 50A ESC for this size plane. I use a separate 10A Castle BEC if I have a heavy servo load. I never use a linear BEC. I allow margin. I have never had an equipment failure with these parts in 4 years of flying 10 different planes most weekends all 4 seasons.
I did have one old off-brand battery freeze and quit in 20 degree weather that caused a panic landing. My thought is to spend some extra on parts and never crash, crashes are expensive and discouraging.
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Last edited by GCplane; Oct 31, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2011, 09:45 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
I am going to give the benefit of the doubt that this was just a one off since I used every new parts as recommended by GP exception for Spectrum receiver and HK battery. I've never had issues in the past. That's also b/c of this that's bugging me. Everything should have worked. My time is limited and so when I used parts per recommendation, I expect stuff like this doesn't happen. I don't have time to call help desk or customer support when I have to work 10 hrs day. But enough of gripping....I am just going to move on and be very cautious next time if and when I decide to use a similar recommendation. AMP parameters are just too close to max AMP to give me peace of mind that it wasn't the ESC. I like your 50 AMP buffer. 45 seems an ideal balance. But I am no ESC pro, just an average RC pilot.

I apologize for the rant but this really chaps my hide
Old Nov 03, 2011, 08:45 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,257 Posts
Sorry to hear that Reef.

So far mine is fine. We have the same setup, except I used a GP battery pack. I know, the hk stuff is .01's on the 1.00 but I don't trust it. I'll get it out again and try to punish it to see what gives....

Recapping, 30-32 amps in (similar to my draw) on a 35 amp continuous esc. Now even if you boiled the throttle 100% of your flight, draw would reduce as volts diminish. OTOH, esc with little airflow will heat up. But you never mentioned magic smoke.

If you can call & tell c.s. your story, they may help you out since you bought such a nice sized package from them. You may have to talk and eat simultaneously on your break, but that's what they do lol.
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:07 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Hey MICKEL,

I am going to call Hobby Service today since I am working from home today and have some time. Will keep you posted. thx.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:56 PM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,675 Posts
FINALLY got around to testing my BP A2810-11 1200 kv motor that I got for this model. I used an APC 10 x 5E and I'm pulling 23.5 amps and 273 watts on a 3S lipo - I'm using a Phoenix 35 ESC. I ran it 30 seconds at WOT and the motor barely got warm - this setup seems to be ideal.

Was going to start working on it, but all I have in the servo bin is a bunch of HS55s - need to get some servos
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:51 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
8,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
FINALLY got around to testing my BP A2810-11 1200 kv motor that I got for this model. I used an APC 10 x 5E and I'm pulling 23.5 amps and 273 watts on a 3S lipo - I'm using a Phoenix 35 ESC. I ran it 30 seconds at WOT and the motor barely got warm - this setup seems to be ideal.

Was going to start working on it, but all I have in the servo bin is a bunch of HS55s - need to get some servos
Good power selection. It will zoom with zest appeal!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 03:12 PM
Manassas, Virginia
Joined May 2008
418 Posts
I almost finished my Stearman. I cut about 1/2 inches out of the middle of the wooden motor mount box and glued it back together using 1/4 by 1/4 inch pine blocks in the inside corners and little pieces of plywood on the outside sides. This made room for an Eflight power 10. The recommended motor is slightly weaker than a 480 size (according to Scorpion's comparison chart). The rudder control rod tube has a sharp bend in the last 3 inches at the tail of the plane and causes the rod to bind. I pulled it with a spring scale and it takes 6 oz to move it. Elevator rod moves freely. Did you notice your rudder rod binds?
GCplane is offline Find More Posts by GCplane
Last edited by GCplane; Nov 27, 2011 at 04:20 PM.