HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2013, 06:56 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,665 Posts
I'm not planning to always upload the latest mods. Give it a lot of shelf life first. A small programming mistake and you've lost a plane if not damaging something on the ground.

Taranis is meeting just about all of my requirements: lots of models (infinite), good gimbals, telemetry, voice indication, model memory, more channels, reasonable RX prices, module slot for DSM or whatever you have, reasonable starting price.

I haven't checked Aloft in a while since they didn't think large stock wouldn't come in until February or later. I've heard HobbyKing has it once in a while. I was waiting for Aloft though.
dude_109 is online now Find More Posts by dude_109
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2014, 07:48 AM
Always Fly 2 Mistakes High!
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,398 Posts
I have my Taranis all ready to go with my T-28 just to check it out. It's fairly logical on the programming. I'm not good at it yet but they include "Wizards" to get started. Like I used the "Simple 4 Channel Wizard" to get the T-28 up and running.
An upgraded Taranis is due out in March or so I hear...mostly hardware upgrades and the addition of tactile feedback.

Here is a video I took of Mike flying his B-25 a couple of weeks ago...
Mike Laible's B-25 (6 min 24 sec)
RGS2010 is offline Find More Posts by RGS2010
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Catch Up 2013-2014
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:43 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,665 Posts
I'm on the waiting list with Aloft but might waive it if my turn comes up before the new version comes out even if it means going to the back of the line again.

I'm in Denver this week and heard that my kid accidentally dropped heavy stuff on my B-25 so I'll have to see how much fixes when I get home
Old Jan 30, 2014, 07:50 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
I'm on the waiting list with Aloft but might waive it if my turn comes up before the new version comes out even if it means going to the back of the line again.

I'm in Denver this week and heard that my kid accidentally dropped heavy stuff on my B-25 so I'll have to see how much fixes when I get home
Apparently they are shipping quickly...my production date on mine was December 2013...they aren't sitting on the shelf!

If I knew at the time that the new one was coming out, I would have waited. But, I love the way they think at FrSky. They are supposedly producing all the parts to upgrade old to new if you want to do it yourself...great support with FrSky and the OpenTx community so far. None of my FrSky branded Futaba FASST receivers have ever given me any trouble at all.

Cecil said your B-17 was beautiful in flight the other day!
He just put his P-38 up for sale at Samano's Hobby Shop @ El Camino & 518.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2014, 05:14 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,665 Posts
Didn't know there was a hobby shop there. 99% of my buying is online anyways unless I'm in quick need of a prop or something simple.

I lost count of how long my P-38 has been in the box

The B-17 had one gear that is bothering me. Other than that it is awesome.

I'm too lazy to work on the Taranis' hardware upgrade. I'll just let the factory do it for me. Telemetry and timer based on throttle are my biggest want from that TX, else DX-7 is fine so no hurry for me.
Old Feb 02, 2014, 07:41 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,398 Posts
Just maidened the Taranis today and it worked great. It "spoke" the battery timer each minute and the timer starts when the throttle starts. It's COOOOOL. Tx/Rx reaction time was fast and the range feedback worked well. I haven't gotten the voltage sensor hooked up yet to sense individual battery cells to check for voltage sags in flight.

I like it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2014, 01:29 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,398 Posts
Hung,

Check out this Battery backup for rx/servos...I just ordered one!
I crashed my F-86 this weekend due to what I believe was the battery wire coming unsoldered. It was a total loss. When I think back to a couple of planes that I thought were radio signal problems even though they had multiple seconds to reconnect but didn't...it makes more sense that it was loss of power in the battery. If it was just the ESC, then the separate BEC would kick in...which has never happened to me.

If the battery wire comes off, you have no ESC/BEC ...nothing, right?

Well here is a battery backup and 10 amp BEC all in one. Now it's for medium to large planes (not 50mm jets for sure).

Check it out:
http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...n-Backup-Guard
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2014, 02:39 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,665 Posts
Sorry about your loss...again. Interesting item. I assume it plugs right into the RX. If so, how does the RX know to draw juice from that or from the ESC/BEC? Unless the 500mah is so low that the main ESC/BEC will always top it off since the flight battery is most likely bigger (except for my smaller planes of course )

Looks like its also has regulated output to be 5V so older RX and older/cheaper analog servos won't burn out either. That Lucien guy at Scorpion is one smart cookie so his products should be solid.

I've only had 1 loss of signal in all of my flying but I suspect that it was the RX antenna rubbing on a control rod. I had just moved the RX prior to that final flight. I did have 2 more instances but those were from my TX running out of battery
Old Feb 25, 2014, 03:06 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,398 Posts
Yes it plugs into open RX slot or on a y-cable.

It has electronics that don't activate unless rx is below 5 volts. So it only needs charging occasionally when it needs to be charged. It also won't allow charge back down connector for obvious reasons so it's safe.

I can see me velcro-ing it to a flight battery to save room on some tight models.

Now I can buy cheap ESC's and not worry about separate BEC's or losing control from a power standpoint anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2014, 04:59 PM
Addicted to RC
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
2,686 Posts
Hey guys...

Just chiming in to make sure everyone is reading Terry's articles over at TESTED.COM. Cool article about the Space Shuttle.

Support the old club member and leave a comment (or two).

http://www.tested.com/science/space/...ch-abort-plan/
yarsmythejr is offline Find More Posts by yarsmythejr
Old Feb 27, 2014, 05:59 PM
Terry Dunn
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Jan 2001
748 Posts
Thanks for the marketing Lee

As Lee mentioned, I'm now doing some work for Tested.com, in addition to the stuff I've been doing for Model Aviation. The plan is for me to have 1 RC and 1 NASA article on Tested each month. I'm honored if you read any of it. And feel free to comment (good or bad) if you feel so compelled. However, I don't want any false praise just to bump stats.

I hope all of you guys are doing well down there. It's about to be the windy season here, so I'm not sure how much flying I'll be doing...not that I've done much flying at all lately.

Terry
mopar_man is online now Find More Posts by mopar_man
Old Feb 27, 2014, 08:16 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2010
3,398 Posts
Hi Terry and Lee...thanks for the link...always enjoy Terry's writing but sure miss Terry's flying!

Looks like you better find an indoor venue during the windy season...or competition kite flying?
RCG Plus Member