HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,014 Posts
Cool
Picked this up at the post office last night. The Quanum 2.4ghz lipo telemetry unit

Comes with the LCD receiver, and one 2.4ghz dsss transmitter.
I purchased the optional wire antenna to replace the standard ant to keep weight down a little. HC says the wire ant give better results than the stock ant.

With some preliminary testing, I've not seen any sort of interference whatsover when placed right next to my FUT receivers and the TX.

Since FUT uses FHSS and this unit uses DSSS, I don't see how there could be freq interference, HOWEVER, it may be a different story for you SPEK users.

Web site price lists the unit with one TX for $99, but when you add it to the cart, it drops to $69.99. The wire ant was a $5 option.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...try_(1km_Range)
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Last edited by cryhavoc38; Feb 13, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:30 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,638 Posts
ooh I think I want one.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Feb 12, 2010, 03:43 PM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mortimer View Post
ooh I think I want one.
I'd been thinking about buying this unit since it hit Hobbycity's web site.
Finally decided to pull the trigger when I saw it was actually $69 in my cart and not $99.

Mainly going to use this for larger planes that pull alot of power, but the TX is so light that I will use it for DF Jets as well. Gotta keep an eye on power levels in amp hungry planes.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 04:15 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,534 Posts
Neat gadget, man, something else I "need".

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:20 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Ohhh, I always wanted something like that.

So... who's going to be the first to test it with a Spektrum radio?
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:23 PM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer View Post
Ohhh, I always wanted something like that.

So... who's going to be the first to test it with a Spektrum radio?
I'm going to sometime next week when my 9303 i just bought arrives.

I'll put it up in a cheap depron foamy to see what happens and will also just set the parts side by side and see what happens.

Should be fun to see if it glitches on Spektrum.
Its rock solid next to Fasst though
Old Feb 12, 2010, 05:51 PM
Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
538 Posts
Great fuel gauge

I'm sure glad to see these things starting to catch on. I've been using a poormans version of this for awhile. But when I show it I get laughed at. You don't fly a real plane or drive a car with a stopwatch. But watch how many neg posts this comment gets. I think these should be somehow incorporated into the rx tx itself. Maybe when it gets into the 30.00 price range I'll get one.
p51p51 is offline Find More Posts by p51p51
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:19 PM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,049 Posts
All you should have to do to get it to work with spektrum is turn on the telemetry unit first and then turn on your radio. Spektrum will scan for 2 open frequencies and when it sees the telemetry it should skip that channel.
dfrazier is offline Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old Feb 12, 2010, 06:58 PM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrazier View Post
All you should have to do to get it to work with spektrum is turn on the telemetry unit first and then turn on your radio. Spektrum will scan for 2 open frequencies and when it sees the telemetry it should skip that channel.
This is what I am expecting. With the talk and testing of 2.4ghz video systems swamping the entire bandwith, hopefully this telemetry device is more tightly controlled since it is FCC approved.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 07:51 PM
Oopss. Oh well.
In the tropics
Joined Jan 2006
3,614 Posts
I've been flying with these the past few months. Now can't imagine flying without them. Now I know exactly how much 'fuel' I have on board.

I previously had video telemetry showing voltage and MAH used. But I much prefer the simple display of the quanum unit.

The power consumption to the Tx unit is extremely low. I've forgotten to disconnect the battery to the Tx a few times and left it connected for hours. On re-check, the voltage remains more or less the same!

Thanks for the OP for the info on changing to lighter antenna. Something I've been thinking of doing.
borneobear is offline Find More Posts by borneobear
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:07 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
This is what I am expecting. With the talk and testing of 2.4ghz video systems swamping the entire bandwith, hopefully this telemetry device is more tightly controlled since it is FCC approved.
I hope it is FCC approved, but the FCC ID Search doesn't show any results for FCCID VR9V003.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:32 PM
Joined Jun 2009
252 Posts
Quote:
I'd been thinking about buying this unit since it hit Hobbycity's web site.
Finally decided to pull the trigger when I saw it was actually $69 in my cart and not $99.

Mainly going to use this for larger planes that pull alot of power, but the TX is so light that I will use it for DF Jets as well. Gotta keep an eye on power levels in amp hungry planes.
Cant wait to hear your results! Id get one of these in a heartbeat if it doesnt affect spektrum radios
Nickbm3 is offline Find More Posts by Nickbm3
Old Feb 12, 2010, 08:56 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,369 Posts
I want one and I do not even care if it can not be used with a RC system at all really.

I have wanted manufactures to provide something like this in their chargers for years. Now if I can just convince myself to spend the bucks. My only concern / reservations is if it will effect balancing . My guess is that it shouldn't as long as it draws power equally from all cells. It should be able to be used with a Y harness .

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:01 PM
Love my Raven's!
Joined Mar 2007
8,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
I want one and I do not even care if it can not be used with a RC system at all really.

I have wanted manufactures to provide something like this in their chargers for years. Now if I can just convince myself to spend the bucks. My only concern / reservations is if it will effect balancing . My guess is that it shouldn't as long as it draws power equally from all cells. It should be able to be used with a Y harness .

Charles
Charles,
I was actually using this last night while doing a storage discharge on some lipo's that weren't going to be used for the next few days. I had the receiver with me in my office here, so I could watch the cell displays slowly go down. Its like my wireless thermometer for the bbq.

Old Feb 12, 2010, 09:06 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
Quote:
Charles,
I was actually using this last night while doing a storage discharge on some lipo's that weren't going to be used for the next few days. I had the receiver with me in my office here, so I could watch the cell displays slowly go down. Its like my wireless thermometer for the bbq.

Wow... thats a interesting idea.

I am to assume you have the load pulling only on the 12V leads? By that I mean my charger also doubles a s a discharger. However the "highest" state of discharge is 3.6 VPC. So normally I let it run down to 3.6, then I charge back to 3.85.

Point I'm making is the balance connector is employed by the charger dis-charger. I wonder if I could make a "Y" connector between them to watch the state of discharge.

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D