HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2014, 03:58 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Discussion
To buy or not?...

Hi guys/girls. I'm new to the whole RC scene, was looking for something to buy and came across this and wanted your advice

http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/rc-jet/64m...Fafnwgod_w4AQQ

Is it worth the price? can I find better??.
Oh and needing RTF lol.
RCNoobb is offline Find More Posts by RCNoobb
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:17 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,550 Posts
New to RC? Watch this before buying it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1386682

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:30 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
ty ^
Last edited by RCNoobb; Oct 05, 2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:36 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,519 Posts
Roger gave you very good advice.

You need to visit the Beginner Training Area
http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...ft-electric-8/
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:40 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
ty ^^
Listenin. lol.
Last edited by RCNoobb; Oct 05, 2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:08 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,227 Posts
Gee Willikers!!!, you just joined and posted and got a reply already. Standard advice to beginners who seriously want advice on how to get started:

Try to find somebody with a RC flight simulator and practice taking off, flying and landing a simulated high wing trainer model with ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle controls. Don't try to teach yourself, few can do it successfully. Some clubs are beginner friendly and have simulator and a club instructor who will teach you how to fly and help you select a good trainer model and the other stuff you will need including a proper battery charger.

Most clubs will require you to join the Academy of Model Aeronautics ( AMA) before you can join their club. Go to AMA website and find out how to join and about membership fees. You get a monthly model magazine and good liability insurance for your annual membership fee. Most clubs charge something for membership, some have junior rates.

Buy a quality high-wing foamie trainer model that has ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle control and learn to fly it with an instructor on a buddy-box setup. Foamie models are fairly easy to repair with epoxy. Some models come ready to fly with "everything you need". It's usually cheap stuff. Some models come almost ready to fly (ARF), you use your own name brand receiver and transmitter, battery charger and battery packs. Get advice on what to buy. Sometimes club members will offer good deals on their used stuff when they want to upgrade. Go to the beginners forum and get advice.

You get out of this hobby what you put into it. There is a lot to learn and new stuff to learn all the time. Buy from a reputable hobby shop or online suppliers that give decent customer service and support. Don't just go for "cheapest" or you will be disappointed.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Gee Willikers!!!, you just joined and posted and got a reply already. Standard advice to beginners who seriously want advice on how to get started:

Try to find somebody with a RC flight simulator and practice taking off, flying and landing a simulated high wing trainer model with ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle controls. Don't try to teach yourself, few can do it successfully. Some clubs are beginner friendly and have simulator and a club instructor who will teach you how to fly and help you select a good trainer model and the other stuff you will need including a proper battery charger.

Most clubs will require you to join the Academy of Model Aeronautics ( AMA) before you can join their club. Go to AMA website and find out how to join and about membership fees. You get a monthly model magazine and good liability insurance for your annual membership fee. Most clubs charge something for membership, some have junior rates.

Buy a quality high-wing foamie trainer model that has ailerons, rudder, elevator and throttle control and learn to fly it with an instructor on a buddy-box setup. Foamie models are fairly easy to repair with epoxy. Some models come ready to fly with "everything you need". It's usually cheap stuff. Some models come almost ready to fly (ARF), you use your own name brand receiver and transmitter, battery charger and battery packs. Get advice on what to buy. Sometimes club members will offer good deals on their used stuff when they want to upgrade. Go to the beginners forum and get advice.

You get out of this hobby what you put into it. There is a lot to learn and new stuff to learn all the time. Buy from a reputable hobby shop or online suppliers that give decent customer service and support. Don't just go for "cheapest" or you will be disappointed.
Thanks for your post. I've been looking about and was either going to buy this for my first time -->

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/champ-rtf-HBZ4900

As most people start out with a champ it seems :P.

Was also looking at this

http://www.wirelessmadness.com/hobby...to-fly-hbz7900

Do you think I could just go for the Delta Ray instead since it has panic mode and beginner options? . Let me know what you think :P.

I'll see if I have anyone in my area who is an instructor, thanks :P. and will check it all out now
Old Oct 05, 2014, 05:53 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,023 Posts
yeah. go for the Delta Ray. Champ is good but the Ray will handle more wind. and you have SAFE on it (although the Champ really doesn't need SAFE).

if you're willing to consider (budget + flying space constraints), you can look up the Apprentice S and the Super Cub S.

ps - when you do advance enough to fly an EDF, check reviews on that product. i recommend going with better known brands or at least a plane that has a dedicated thread here on RCG (so you can ask reviews there). use the Search feature to find the dedicated thread for a plane/product. the thread with the most number of posts is the dedicated thread.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:07 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
yeah. go for the Delta Ray. Champ is good but the Ray will handle more wind. and you have SAFE on it (although the Champ really doesn't need SAFE).

if you're willing to consider (budget + flying space constraints), you can look up the Apprentice S and the Super Cub S.

ps - when you do advance enough to fly an EDF, check reviews on that product. i recommend going with better known brands or at least a plane that has a dedicated thread here on RCG (so you can ask reviews there). use the Search feature to find the dedicated thread for a plane/product. the thread with the most number of posts is the dedicated thread.

Thanks man will look them up .

I bought the Delta Ray. Can't wait to get it, ty guys.
Last edited by RCNoobb; Oct 05, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 08:25 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCNoobb View Post
Thanks man will look them up .

I bought the Delta Ray. Can't wait to get it, ty guys.

I think the Delta Ray is probably a good choice.
I have only seen one & that was a few months a go.
A beginner pilot had it & it seemed to be working out good for him.
He had a couple of fairly hard landings with no damage, so it must be pretty durable.
Clive66 is offline Find More Posts by Clive66
Old Oct 05, 2014, 08:36 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive66 View Post
I think the Delta Ray is probably a good choice.
I have only seen one & that was a few months a go.
A beginner pilot had it & it seemed to be working out good for him.
He had a couple of fairly hard landings with no damage, so it must be pretty durable.
Seems like a decent choice based on reviews and video, Just glad I didn't go ahead and purchase something outta my league & thats great lol
Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:14 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2013
233 Posts
Wow, this is refreshing. A guy knows that he doesn't know. Posts asking for advice, and takes the advice.

With this type of attitude/approach the OP will be ripping up the sky with an EDF before we know it!
bstanley72 is offline Find More Posts by bstanley72
Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:32 PM
Joined Oct 2014
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstanley72 View Post
Wow, this is refreshing. A guy knows that he doesn't know. Posts asking for advice, and takes the advice.

With this type of attitude/approach the OP will be ripping up the sky with an EDF before we know it!
Heh. Here is hoping anyway. I should receive it on Tuesday. Can't wait to test it out
Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:40 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
9,023 Posts
congratulations on your purchase. dedicated thread for the Ray: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1963305
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:13 PM
<><><><><>
Joined Aug 2013
87 Posts
Yeah the Delta Ray is a great trainer and very durable too (I know from experience) but did you buy it off the official HorizonHobby website or not? If not they wont help you out too much (no warranty or anything either) when you call their airplane support number but hopefully you wont have to.
Crasher248 is offline Find More Posts by Crasher248