HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:52 AM
United States, CO, Broomfield
Joined Jun 2005
350 Posts
Discussion
Drone used to go down sinkhole which swallowed up several Corvettes

There was a huge sinkhole at the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green KY.

This occurred at 5:41 AM on 2/12/14

It swallowed up several Corvettes. A quad was used to go down into the sinkhole and get some video.

Check these videos out!

Sinkhole Video 4 - Helicopter Shots (6 min 43 sec)

Sinkhole Video 2 - Helicopter shots (3 min 51 sec)

Sinkhole Video 3 - Helicopter Shots (2 min 41 sec)

Sinkhole Video 5 - Helicopter Shots (4 min 10 sec)
VintageSlots is offline Find More Posts by VintageSlots
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:43 PM
United States, NY, Saratoga
Joined Apr 2013
364 Posts
Awesome! In the comments to the initial-- somewhat disappointing-- video, I saw someone mention that that video was a test flight and there was more footage so I was hoping more would pop up eventually.

NBC Nightly News showed a short clip from one of the quad's videos on their coverage earlier tonight. Quick, someone sic' the FCC on them!
mjru is online now Find More Posts by mjru
Old Feb 13, 2014, 07:52 PM
park city
Joined Jul 2004
1,232 Posts
Yeah I live 20 miles from the museum...
The wku college class flew the multi copter in the vid....
My friend teaches the class...I talked to the geologist and tried to persuade them for me to fly my phantom in the hole as I could get in their a little more confidently but they wouldn't let me in
taildragger21 is offline Find More Posts by taildragger21
Old Feb 13, 2014, 08:24 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjru View Post
NBC Nightly News showed a short clip from one of the quad's videos on their coverage earlier tonight. Quick, someone sic' the FCC on them!
There are no FAA restrictions on such a shoot because it was indoors. The FAA does not control airspace inside closed buildings. This could have been done on a commercial basis and there is nothing the FAA could say or do about it.
CG Photo is offline Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Feb 13, 2014, 09:49 PM
Soil Penetration Tester
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Jun 2003
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo View Post
There are no FAA restrictions on such a shoot because it was indoors. The FAA does not control airspace inside closed buildings. This could have been done on a commercial basis and there is nothing the FAA could say or do about it.
That is very interesting. I always wondered how people were able to fly those R/C Blimps in indoor sporting events dropping t shirts, hats, coupons, etc. without FAA involvement. Learn something new here everyday.

Thanks,
Rick
rtp70 is online now Find More Posts by rtp70