SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,163 Posts
Static testing today shows more thrust, higher efflux, and very slightly less A and W draw compared to the stock 80mm outrunner. So more power, lighter and longer flight times...

And it's a few grams lighter too. A win win win...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Well I was bored and instead of working on one of my float planes I was eyeing the F-86 and an old V1 F-18 90mm fan and motor. Looked like a easy swap... It was easy, about 3 hours and some slicing and grinding and it's in. Time for dinner now but I'll charge up a pack and see how it pulls tomorrow. It was 70A and 1600W in the F-18 which is a little less than the 80mm was but its a more efficient 6 blade and bigger diameter so I'm hoping for a little more static thrust and significant more Eflux.
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM
Joined Dec 2013
3,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
The F-16 is truly a thing of beauty, but those minuscule wheels will unfortunately preclude it from operating off grass. Shame.
Not on 8s & a JF it won't..
HellHathNoFury is online now Find More Posts by HellHathNoFury
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
Joined Feb 2014
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanman55 View Post
By the way...I get a solid 4:30-5 min. of flight time and have gotten 6 min..I use the admiral 60c 4000 . I use full throttle on take off and then slightly over half for the rest of the flight..and have usually around 30% left in battery..the 6 min flight had about 22% left...
4.5 to 5 minutes...Wow. Some of you guys are getting head scratching long flight times. I use the same battery and when I get the 30 second warning before my 3 minute timer sounds off I start making plans to land. Three minutes max and when I land I have 3.77 ish 34% left. And that is with no taxi for take off. I set it down on the 'runway' I use and get it in the air, fly for two and a half minutes, make a couple lazy passes setting up for a final and land right about the 3 minute mark... 3.77 Volts. I don't dare try to push it a full 4 minutes much less FIVE?!

This is flying mostly 3/4ish throttle with 3 WOT passes at the most, that don't last longer than 6 seconds or so.

By comparison I fly my FMS P-51 aggressively for a full 5 minutes before I land and I have about 3.7 left on those 3600mAh batteries. Sure wish I got 5 (decent) minutes out of this Sabre.

Time for a telemetry module so I can really get crazy and push for three and a half minutes lol
Maj.Duty is offline Find More Posts by Maj.Duty
Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
Joined Jan 2014
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaguy View Post
Sorry that this is a little off topic, but at least it's a Freewing!

For those of you who can't wait to get your hands on their new F-16......

http://www.pw-rc.com/product_info.php/products_id/3626
Pw-rc used my photos (without my knowledge) I shot of my pre-production prototype. For the sake of keeping customers informed, please be advised that the pylon details, paint color, and several other aspects of the production model will differ from those photos on their website link above. Both the photos on pavement (mine) and in studio (Freewing's) are of the pre-production model.

The differences are slight, but it still bares citing. Just a friendly heads up.
Alpha.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Alpha.MotionRC
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM
Joined Jan 2014
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Static testing today shows more thrust, higher efflux, and very slightly less A and W draw compared to the stock 80mm outrunner. So more power, lighter and longer flight times...

And it's a few grams lighter too. A win win win...

I'm eager to hear your flight report, Evan!
Alpha.MotionRC is offline Find More Posts by Alpha.MotionRC
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maj.Duty View Post
4.5 to 5 minutes...Wow. Some of you guys are getting head scratching long flight times. I use the same battery and when I get the 30 second warning before my 3 minute timer sounds off I start making plans to land. Three minutes max and when I land I have 3.77 ish 34% left. And that is with no taxi for take off. I set it down on the 'runway' I use and get it in the air, fly for two and a half minutes, make a couple lazy passes setting up for a final and land right about the 3 minute mark... 3.77 Volts. I don't dare try to push it a full 4 minutes much less FIVE?!

This is flying mostly 3/4ish throttle with 3 WOT passes at the most, that don't last longer than 6 seconds or so.

lol
Now sticking to the 5000Mah packs for mine for about a minute extra flight time security on mixed throttle sorties.

Also on basis of no pre take off taxi time with similar WOT as yourself and a 4 minute warning count down to start a landing plan preparation to include a couple of missed approaches and go arounds as required..... leaving a operational time of 5 to 6 minutes using the 5000's.

I also notice that my lower 4500 pack is a noticeably less "Punchy" on Thrust with initial use and onwards into the flight and its lighter weight does not make any overall performance gain either on this Sabre.

Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,163 Posts
My timer, using 5000mA packs is set to 6 minutes. When I use a 4000 I know I have to be down by then but I just start setting up landing then with the 5000's.

Btw I get 6.5 minutes on 5.8a packs in my hopped up Stinger 90 and 5 on the hopped up F18, I do much more aerobatics on it. And 4.5 on 8s 4000ma in the hopped up Mirage.
Old Yesterday, 08:37 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2013
695 Posts
I have my counter set at anyting over 25%. Tomorrow im gonna bump it up to 5 min and fly it hard till it goes off then taxi a couple times and land. Curious to see what my voltage will be around the 6 min mark on my 5450 packs. Cant wait for the new 7 and 9 channel as3x receivers to hit in february. Looking forward to having real time full range integrated telemetry so I can set it to alarm at 3.5v and land around 3.3v. Not sure why everybody only runs their packs to 3.7 or 3.8 a cell. I do it just to be safe and have plenty in reserve. There is no harm in running down to 3.2v as long as you dont have a cell with a resting voltage below 3.0v and even then it is not guarenteed to scuttle the pack. I used to race rc cars a lot and always ran my packs hard all the way down to 3.2v and never ever had an issue. There is a lot if extra flight time between 3.8 and 3.2.
Bhodi11 is offline Find More Posts by Bhodi11
Last edited by Bhodi11; Yesterday at 08:44 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Los Angeles Intl, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly72 View Post
Hello, just picked up the F86 and love how she flies. My only disapointment is with the vertical performance. I planning on upgrading to get better vertical and maybe a small increase in top speed.

I was wondering if you guys can give me suggestions on what worked for you. I do not want to spend a lot so hopefully it will be an inexpensive power plant. I have also thought of carving some foam and converting to 90mm.

Also, if you have the Freewing 3665 motor it I would love to hear from you.

Thanks everyone for your help!
To improve the vertical performance of this power system I got a duplicate wrapped in the Mirage 2000. It goes way higher in that airframe.

Much like I would tell my children - I love them equally, except for the one that naps - I love that one more.
mikester is offline Find More Posts by mikester
Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,163 Posts
8s in the mirage is bettaa.
Old Yesterday, 11:25 PM
Joined Feb 2014
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11 View Post
There is a lot if extra flight time between 3.8 and 3.2.
Where I could likely get that extra minute....
Maj.Duty is offline Find More Posts by Maj.Duty
Old Today, 12:11 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
I'm eager to hear your flight report, Evan!

Will it sound the same interesting to see that too..... hopefully you wont loose too much of that special sound quality for an offset of performance gain in thrust and endurance which may be worth it for you anyway, in final outcome of your flight assessment of the upgrade.
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Last edited by Hondajet; Today at 12:18 AM.