HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:54 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,038 Posts
Hi Eddie

Back in the day i built a Gemini MTS wing and put it on a sharp pointed round glass fuse with fin, looked like a missile so i called it ' Missiles ' in laten for missile.

Try to come up with your own name for your design as you just used Blane's ribs, think outside the box!! for something trick

G Don
granada don is offline Find More Posts by granada don
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:44 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
I finished her. I like it.

Here's a couple pictures. You can see more pictures if you want in the Thermal thread under "Mirage customized personalized build.

Hog
hog2soar is offline Find More Posts by hog2soar
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:03 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
545 Posts
Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by hog2soar View Post

Here's a couple pictures. You can see more pictures if you want in the Thermal thread under "Mirage customized personalized build.

Hog
Eddie:

You have created a very beautiful custom Mirage.

a few questions:

1. What is all up weight ?

2. Are you using full or half elevator

3. What is your motor and battery ?

4. What material did you cover it with ?

5. How does she fly ?

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:20 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:
For those of you who may not be following my build of a Custom Mirage in the Thermal section,here's a couple pictures.

I'm making it an electric and will probably use it for ALES.

I custom built and stretched the fuselage. Custom built the tail feathers,and made the wing a 5 panel wing with custom tips. The stock Mirage is a 3 Panel wing with square tips.

Therefore,shouuld this be called a Mirage,even though the box it came in says Mirage. It doesn't resemble a Mirage and probably won't fly like a Mirage.

So what should it be called?

Eddie
Awesoome work...

Fantasa ...; ( Phantasy in spanish .. ) ? My two cents about name.
Congratulations Eddie.
Manolo.
ultimatetwo is online now Find More Posts by ultimatetwo
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:18 AM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr View Post
Eddie:

You have created a very beautiful custom Mirage.

a few questions:

1. What is all up weight ?

2. Are you using full or half elevator

3. What is your motor and battery ?

4. What material did you cover it with ?

5. How does she fly ?

Craig
Hi Craig,

It's all up weight is 46 ounces. I posted 44 ounces on my build log,but that was a typo error.

It has a half elevator.

Motor is the same as you used. KDA 22-20L I hope it has enough power. I was hopping to keep it's auw a little lower. But considering I stretched the fuse and glassed it then stretched the wing and added custom tips to make it 120",I don't think it's too bad. The Battery is a 30C 3s, 2200 Lipo. I needed it for the nose weight and still had to add a little.

The covering is Ultracote black and transparent red.

I don't know how she flies yet. You should bring yours up here to Visalia and show me how it flies.

Eddie

Eddie
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:41 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
545 Posts
Quote:
Hi Craig,

It's all up weight is 46 ounces. I posted 44 ounces on my build log,but that was a typo error.

It has a half elevator.

Motor is the same as you used. KDA 22-20L I hope it has enough power. I was hopping to keep it's auw a little lower. But considering I stretched the fuse and glassed it then stretched the wing and added custom tips to make it 120",I don't think it's too bad. The Battery is a 30C 3s, 2200 Lipo. I needed it for the nose weight and still had to add a little.

The covering is Ultracote black and transparent red.

I don't know how she flies yet. You should bring yours up here to Visalia and show me how it flies.

Eddie

Eddie
Eddie:

Thank you for the information.

Considering your mods, 46 ounces sounds good; and with your stretched wing, the loading should be low.

I think the motor should suffice. Nice to have a beefy
30C LiPo, especially as the battery ages and looses capacity. I also use 2200mah 3s; usually 40 minutes is easy in poor/marginal lift. Visalia lift may require occasional visits to the chiropractor. I would love to fly in your neighborhood.

My next bird will use Ultracote; I was just worried about wing flutter and heard that Monokote might minimize flutter. But I really don't know.

I REALLY THINK YOUR NEW BIRD IS GORGEOUS.

Wishing you a long enjoyable Mirage life

Craig
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:35 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Hey Eddie, please, can you tell me the size of the prop and nose cone of your ship..? Im doing a Mirage e-conversion an plan to use a similar or the same motor that you...
Tx for granted and have a really good maiden flight.
Manolo.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:20 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetwo View Post
Hey Eddie, please, can you tell me the size of the prop and nose cone of your ship..? Im doing a Mirage e-conversion an plan to use a similar or the same motor that you...
Tx for granted and have a really good maiden flight.
Manolo.
I have a KDA 22-20L Motor from Hobby King. It's the same Motor that Craig,above has in his Mirage. However his Mirage only weighs 41 ounces.

Hobby King has been out of stock with that Motor for a long time. It's been back ordered.

The prop is an Aeronaut Cam 10x6 folding prop.

Hope that helps.

Eddie
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:28 PM
Central California
Joined Jan 2010
965 Posts
Craig,

I have Ultracote on an Oly III and a custom Pod and boom Sig Riser. I haven't had any problem with wing flutter. Oh,I take that back. When I was triming my Sig riser I put it into a dive to see what it would do. It was a little steeper than 45 deg. I don't know how fast it was going,much faster than it should and it was really waveing to me to stop. I pulled her out of the dive and she survived.

Ultracote is really easy to use in my opinion. Just make sure your iron temps are correct.

Eddie
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:38 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:
I have a KDA 22-20L Motor from Hobby King. It's the same Motor that Craig,above has in his Mirage. However his Mirage only weighs 41 ounces.

Hobby King has been out of stock with that Motor for a long time. It's been back ordered.

Hope that helps.

Eddie
Tx Eddie for the tip. Yeap, Im checking HK daily for that motor and ...
If they continue without it, my idea is to use a E Max GT 2218-09 or GT 2820-7 that are avaliable on my local hobby shop. Im now involved in the wing build but maybe on two weeks or so I will need the motor to plan to fuse nose area...
Checking to your maiden and flight report, mate.
Manolo.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:40 PM
Fly to live- Live to fly
ROTA-CADIZ-SPAIN
Joined Jan 2008
1,086 Posts
Quote:

Hope that helps.

Eddie
If they continue without it, my idea is to use a E Max GT 2218-09 or GT 2820-7 that are avaliable on my local hobby shop. Im now involved in the wing build but maybe on two weeks or so I will need the motor to plan to fuse nose area... How about the diameter of the spinner ?..
Manolo.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:24 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatetwo View Post
If they continue without it, my idea is to use a E Max GT 2218-09 or GT 2820-7 that are avaliable on my local hobby shop. Im now involved in the wing build but maybe on two weeks or so I will need the motor to plan to fuse nose area... How about the diameter of the spinner ?..
Manolo.
Manolo:

I use the KDA22-20L with a Graupner CAM 10-6 folder; it draws 21.1 amps, 249 watts with a 3s LiPo.
I am using a 30mm diameter spinner on the 3mm motor shaft (HobbyKing, $6)
With a 10-8 folder it draws 32.4 amps, 365 watts. This is above the recommended max amps, but might be ok with our short run times.

I also would like to buy a few more of these wonderful $14 motors for spares. I am on my second motor; the first one lasted over 400 soaring hours. They are reliable, long lasting motors; hope they will return to Hobby King.

Craig
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:05 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,327 Posts
Quote:

Hog
That looks awesome.
Trisquire is online now Find More Posts by Trisquire