HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:28 PM
Germany, HH, Hamburg
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Hi, I am new to the Nano CPX and have a problem with the swashplate. While the main motor is off, all channels working well. If I throttle up the swashplate goes forward left, and aileron and Elevator won't work anymore.
Does anybody have an idea to fix it?
ezzy100 is offline Find More Posts by ezzy100
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:31 PM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helipilot23 View Post
It wouldn't be that bad. I wouldn't ruin a billion main boards.

What do u think of it?
Heavy and the throttle response won't be linear. Still have to mod the frame, just don't have to do any soldering. WAY better to just get an Astroid kit and find someone to do the soldering for you if you aren't confident you can do it yourself.
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:31 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
Check to see if the swashplate is cracked.
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:32 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
Soldering is a big no no for me.
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:38 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
SR helis are not supposed to spin & spin without other input. All SR birds hover at a slight angle to compensate for tail rotor drift. The angle is dependent upon tail-rotor thrust. To maintain lateral position during a piro, some cyclic input will be required.
The old flybarred (SR) msr will spin and spin without input. You can spin it non stop through an entire battery.

The old msr also tilts (for the obvious physical reasons), but the frame is designed with a main shaft off center, so the body 'looks' like it's hanging vertical when in fact the blades and main shaft are tilted like every other micro heli. As it piros, the main shaft wobbles around a vertical center line.

Other than the appearance of the body hanging vertical, the only real difference between the old msr and the new msrx/nano is that the tail rotor axis is horizontal with the ground and not tilted with the rest of the body. Well, that and one has a mechanical flybar and one is an electronic flybar.

So either the electronic flybar just can't handle the piro and that will never change, or it might be as simple as tweaking the angle of the tail rotor so it sits level in flight (even though the rest of the heli body is tilted). Something to try this week end.
ruzam is offline Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Feb 01, 2013, 05:40 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Its hard to reply to you without knowing what you don't understand. You may need the context of theimacman's video and his explanation as to why you need to use the hold throttle. He didn't encourage the use of cutting power with the throttle stick but the explanation leaves it open for use if you happen not to be in stunt mode. This isn't the case.
I'm not sure why you feel the need to pick apart my explanation, but you are clearly missing the point.

My video is about flying in Stunt Mode. I am not trying to teach people about what to do no matter what mode they are in. That would be way too broad of a video.

So, it's not about "happening to be in stunt mode"... the entire point of my video is about being in stunt mode, as the title of the video clearly suggests.
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:38 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
...If I get the nano in a perfectly flat (hands off) hover, then hit the rudder I can get a few rotations before it wanders off. Put if I'm sticking it around and it's not quite settled when I punch the rudder it's all over the place before it's even half way around..
Same with mine. Two is about all I can pull off in a room, sometimes 2.5.
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:15 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Ok. That's all I wanted to know. I thought it was just my nano that was piroing out of control Thanks everyone!
kidlat is offline Find More Posts by kidlat
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:43 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzam View Post
The old flybarred (SR) msr will spin and spin without input. You can spin it non stop through an entire battery.

The old msr also tilts (for the obvious physical reasons), but the frame is designed with a main shaft off center, so the body 'looks' like it's hanging vertical when in fact the blades and main shaft are tilted like every other micro heli. As it piros, the main shaft wobbles around a vertical center line.

Other than the appearance of the body hanging vertical, the only real difference between the old msr and the new msrx/nano is that the tail rotor axis is horizontal with the ground and not tilted with the rest of the body. Well, that and one has a mechanical flybar and one is an electronic flybar.

So either the electronic flybar just can't handle the piro and that will never change, or it might be as simple as tweaking the angle of the tail rotor so it sits level in flight (even though the rest of the heli body is tilted). Something to try this week end.
As I noted - the main rotor tilt in hover is caused by the side-force of the tail rotor. Angling the tail rotor won't change the amount of thrust required to offset the rotor torque, so it won't make the heli hover when the rotor disk is level. Besides, doing that would screw up FFF flight, inverted flight, and inverted hovering. Certainly not the right way to go on an aerobatic heli, where the goal is neutral stability. You need to just learn how to fly the bird, and give it the proper inputs to make it go where you want it to go.

Also - the flybarred mSR is a mechanically self-stabilizing, non-aerobatic beginner's heli. It essentially flies itself. This is a neutrally-stable 3D heli that simply goes where you point it. As such, the nCPX has zero self-stabilizing capability. Flybarred 3D birds behave the same way. It's best to learn to piro the proper way - which means starting out with very slow piros so you can learn the cyclic inputs required to hold position.

RC Helicopter Training - Basic Pirouettes (0 min 38 sec)

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 01, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:46 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,895 Posts
Just snagged 6 more flights in the living room. 90 Total now.

Flt 6 lasted about 3 minute and I had a sudden power drop and then surging. I thought there it is! The motor finally went! Nope, Batt #6 apparently failing. One of the G-Force, but they all 4 have been solid to this point. For a $1.69 who can complain!

Charging up the DX7 Lipo because we are going to be snowed in the next two days. Starts tomorrow 10AM through Sunday 7PM. 4 - 6", maybe more. Already a half inch out there from yesterday.

Might be flying in a Gym at 11AM if the snow holds off...
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:15 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Piro compensation is not a feature of the AS3X system. I believe it is now incorporated into the BeastX system.
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:21 PM
Gaui X3, RTF Mini Quad
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
Piro compensation is not a feature of the AS3X system. I believe it is now incorporated into the BeastX system.
+1
Correct. AS3X has none.
BladeScraper is online now Find More Posts by BladeScraper
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:36 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,853 Posts
i believe we are all in agreement here

So, I finally flipped mine today outside for the first time! Held an upside down hover for about 5 seconds, then flipped over again, then hit LVC, haha. Hyperion 160 must have gotten a little cold after charging it. I feel like I sorta know how to fly RC helicopters for real now, pretty exciting. I am probably going to try it inside now and screw up. Outside I took her up to about 30 feet in a stable hover in high rates, idle up, and gave her throttle and positive pitch and up elevator and did a back flip and gave it full negative and she flipped right over into an upside hover. Wasn't quite sure what to at that point, so I just pulled up again into right side up hover. Pretty amazing to do for the first time I say again.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:44 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
mild kits are available at asteroid. I set up a notification but already got one elsewhere.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:48 PM
Joined Nov 2010
321 Posts
Same here already ordered one from PJACQ123. Like the 3D printed servo spacers more anyways so it works out for me.

Now the long wait until Monday when it's expected for delivery...
iTz Nicholas72 is offline Find More Posts by iTz Nicholas72