HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Feb 2012
129 Posts
Discussion
Floating Ground on an ESP114A

I have seen the post showing how to float a ground on a standard ESP114 PSU
The ESP114A has a slightly different PCB design and lacks the R381 location of its counterpart.

There are 6 screws that connect the lower PCB to the case and it appears that two of them are for grounding (screws come in contatct with solder) IF I isolate both screws with fiber washers on the top and bottom am I headed in the right direction?

How would I go about with my DMM to prove to myself that I have indeed floated the ground? Ohms between case and DC Ground? power it up and test for voltage between 12vdc and case?
zhavener is offline Find More Posts by zhavener
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,844 Posts
I don't think you will insulate if you put fiber washer on top/bottom of PCB. Usually the through hole will have solder in/around it that can touch the screw.
I test case ground to 12V ground via ohm setting, then 12V + to case ground. Expect an open.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:11 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
If you really need to put screws in the holes use plastic screws and of course fiber washers.

But can't you just leave them out?
Aren't there other screws holding the PC board in the case?
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Mar 17, 2012, 02:00 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,438 Posts
Cut the land between chassis ground and DC return on the bottom of the circuit board as shown in attached photo. Some have R381 and some don't (as you have determined). Those that don't need to have the copper land severed. Use either a very sharp knife or a dremel with a cutoff wheel (easiest and fastest). Verify isolation by probing with DMM or continuity tester.

Once you've done the above, there is no need for any isolation washers and chassis ground is preserved.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:55 PM
Ninjineer
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
I did this today, it worked exactly like described above. I cut the copper on the board just like the picture, tested continuity on that supply using the AC ground terminal in the back and the each of the 4 DC grounds had no continuity. Then I tested the unmodified supply the same way and obtained continuity between the AC Ground and DC Ground.

My question is, if I intend to run these two power supplies in series, do I need to do the modification to both of them? Is there a good picture of how the supplies are wired after this modification? I assume you no longer float the AC Ground, thus you connect a black AC grounding wire to both of the supplies AC ground terminal?
blackaa is offline Find More Posts by blackaa
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:11 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
No, Just one PS.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter