HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:03 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
Except smoke and more than 6 min flight times Tuning the gas motor shouldn't give you much trouble. I don't think it will require much more maintenance than a lawn mower unless you are breaking stuff At least a gas motor won't throw a couple magnets just because it's mad at you for doing a couple pop tops I'm angry at my Hacker right now lol.
that's what i'm talking about I wanna smoke it up for 15 minutes!!!

My only fear is dead sticks. My only experience with fuel motors is the older guys at my local club and the seem to dead stick quite frequently... a lot of them are on glow though... do the gassers run better?

I mean I know a 4 stroke 4-wheeler is easier to keep running than a 2 stroke 4-wheeler... is it basically the same difference? I guess i need to do some reading.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6Amp View Post
Look at the rationalization skills. You guys are masters.
Yeah see how i didn't mention the fact that i'm easily $5000 dollars in to the hobby and the only thing i have that flies at the moment is a 32" EPP foamy.

Let me tell u though... That icharger 3010B will charge them 450mah 2s batteries in no time
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:15 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post

My only fear is dead sticks. My only experience with fuel motors is the older guys at my local club and the seem to dead stick quite frequently... a lot of them are on glow though... do the gassers run better?

I mean I know a 4 stroke 4-wheeler is easier to keep running than a 2 stroke 4-wheeler... is it basically the same difference? I guess i need to do some reading.
In general gassers run much better than glow. I went with a PTE 36cc from ibcinyourc.com. Mike gave me a pretty good deal and got it shipped the same day. It will arrive tomorrow so I don't have any reports yet but it sounds good.
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:20 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
I like to think of it as a relatively inexpensive hobby, compared to lets say racing motorcycles, restoring cars, flying full-scale, or boating. All of those tend to involve moving the decimal to the right at least one digit compared to r/c flying.
Yeah, agreed. I'm getting into motorcycle racing a bit, and it's way worse than RC.
quadracer is online now Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Yeah, agreed. I'm getting into motorcycle racing a bit, and it's way worse than RC.
Yea... and the crashes hurt more too!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Quote:
Yeah see how i didn't mention the fact that i'm easily $5000 dollars in to the hobby and the only thing i have that flies at the moment is a 32" EPP foamy.

Let me tell u though... That icharger 3010B will charge them 450mah 2s batteries in no time
Well, Im not saying this hobby is cheap, however, a new dirtbike (450) starts at $7k...and thats without gear to ride it. So moving from that to RC flying has been quite easy on my wallet. Its all relative, but to me this has been the most bang (fun) for your buck as far as hobby's go.
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:53 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Yea... and the crashes hurt more too!
Now there's an understatement! I had an 85 mph lowside last year, and a small ditch stopped me in a matter of about 25'. I felt fine the next day, but the succeeding days were god-awful. Luckily I had only a slightly torn pectoral, a bruised ego, and uber-expensive repair bills. Aprilia parts don't come cheap.

My buddy caught it on video. First time through was a success. Second time, not so much....
Crash the Tuono (2 min 55 sec)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Jan 2011
666 Posts
Those quads got you...broke ur concentration
GetSome! is offline Find More Posts by GetSome!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:08 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,196 Posts
yikes that didn't look like much fun
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:34 PM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadracer View Post
Now there's an understatement! I had an 85 mph lowside last year, and a small ditch stopped me in a matter of about 25'. I felt fine the next day, but the succeeding days were god-awful. Luckily I had only a slightly torn pectoral, a bruised ego, and uber-expensive repair bills. Aprilia parts don't come cheap.

My buddy caught it on video. First time through was a success. Second time, not so much....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9X99...e_gdata_player
And since its on Youtube, you'll be getting a speeding ticket.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:42 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:

Gassers seem to be a lot more reliable than glow. There are a ton of IMAC guys at my field, and usually the only times I see deadsticks are when something is physically wrong with the engine, not just from tuning. Usually the ignition module went bad or the ignition battery got too low. The gas engines generally don't just die in flight due to being tuned wrong, they just run poorly. I don't want to stir the pot, but it's pretty rare to see someone with a DA have a deadstick due to engine tuning, whereas a couple guys with DLEs have had several deadsticks until they got them tuned just right.

My DA-60 was the first gasser I've had, and it ran great on the factory recommended needle settings. I was really worried about it at first, but after the first weekend of flying it I'm not worried anymore. Other than it likes shaking the muffler off of it.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Mar 28, 2012, 03:07 PM
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,973 Posts
I think my poor body position got me more than the quads, and I'm working on that. I've also learned to back off a bit on the road, now that I've got some track time in. It happened last July, so if I haven't been sent a ticket by now, I doubt it happens. Besides, other than a simple guestimation, they can't confirm my speed. I guess they could do an on-site recreation, but all that for a speeding ticket? Nah.

Anywho, I'll hopefully get to burn through some packs on the Edge this evening. The weather here is gorgeous today!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:41 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,994 Posts
Quote:

But the Hyperion "Super DUO lll" will do two at a time... as well as 65C 6S 5000 packs.... (two at a time that is)...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Mar 28, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,704 Posts
two at a time?

old news dude.....six at a time is easily accomplished on any capable charger with a $15 paraboard.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Old Mar 28, 2012, 04:52 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
two at a time?

old news dude.....six at a time is easily accomplished on any capable charger with a $15 paraboard.
Yeah, I know...I just don't do parallel charging.....so, two Super DUOs, and a DUO lll I can charge six packs at a time...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...