Old Oct 31, 2011, 08:39 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Discussion
Corona Digital Servos from BP Hobbies

Anyone using these?
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...2&pid=D3925416
Just bought a set as they were fairly cheap and have had good luck with other Corona products. thanks, Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:54 AM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
512 Posts
Plastic gears, looks like. Not really all that great as far as specs. Far too slow for anything but throttle duty. Torque is good, but speed is too slow for cyclic and WAY too slow for tail rotor. Any your really do want metal gears on cyclic--and tail rotor, IMHO.
thenodemaster is offline Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:51 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenodemaster View Post
Plastic gears, looks like. Not really all that great as far as specs. Far too slow for anything but throttle duty. Torque is good, but speed is too slow for cyclic and WAY too slow for tail rotor. Any your really do want metal gears on cyclic--and tail rotor, IMHO.
Its metal geared. Too slow for cyclic? .14 at 4.8? Ok. Don't think so but thanks. Jim
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:42 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
0.13 at 6v is pretty slow today but ok for a sport flyer. A review shows that it's not very well made however.

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/ds538mg_review.shtml
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:51 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
0.13 at 6v is pretty slow today but ok for a sport flyer. A review shows that it's not very well made however.

http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/ds538mg_review.shtml
It's .14 @4.8, but thanks anyway.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:04 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45cn View Post
It's .14 @4.8, but thanks anyway.
It's .14 at 4.8v and .13 at 6v... but thanks anyway for your condescending attitude...
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Old Nov 02, 2011, 09:01 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
It's .14 at 4.8v and .13 at 6v... but thanks anyway for your condescending attitude...
Not really trying to be condescending. I only saw the .14 at 4.8, the webstore I bought these from, BP hobbies, only listed that speed. Guess I am a little disappointed in the review. Think I just wasted 64 dollars. Jim
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:38 PM
Whoops was it always in 2 bits
United Kingdom, England, Rotherham
Joined Oct 2008
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45cn View Post
Not really trying to be condescending. I only saw the .14 at 4.8, the webstore I bought these from, BP hobbies, only listed that speed. Guess I am a little disappointed in the review. Think I just wasted 64 dollars. Jim
Glad I read this first, I was about to swap out the Turnigy MG958's on the HK600 for these as I thought they would be faster and better

+1 then on the disappointment, oh well I'll strip them down and check the gears out first and then put them through my usual 2kg bag of sugar test and see what happens.

Luckily, only paid around $8 each so it could be worse.

Kev
bionicbone is offline Find More Posts by bionicbone
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:48 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,365 Posts
Then again, I just read that he gives the Turnigy MG958's a slating too, mine have done over 100 flights on the HK600, so maybe he's not happy unless he has the best of the best?

So I'm going to put these through their paces, after all one mans rubbish is another mans cost effective solution that allows them to continue with this expensive hobby.

Kev
Old Nov 05, 2011, 09:32 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbone View Post
Then again, I just read that he gives the Turnigy MG958's a slating too, mine have done over 100 flights on the HK600, so maybe he's not happy unless he has the best of the best?

So I'm going to put these through their paces, after all one mans rubbish is another mans cost effective solution that allows them to continue with this expensive hobby.

Kev
Well, I am not giving up on them just yet either. I tore one down and it's all metal gears that I could see, so maybe they fixed the problems with the earlier ones? Gave them a brief test and all seemed fine. Had one that was a little noisy so I took him apart. Had grease in it but added a little more anyway. I am going to give them a try. They seem ok to me. We will see. Good luck with yours. Jim
Old Nov 06, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Oct 2008
1,365 Posts
Did a few tests today with one of these.

1) Lifting up and then down 2kg for two mins, start temperature 21c, finished at 39c, max current draw 0.93 amps.
2) Holding 2kg at neutral position, 0.15 amps.

No plastic in these gears either, but the grease inside was not well placed so I have to move it around a little and add some more.

I've seen nothing to put me off though, indeed they look pretty good inside.

Kev
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:13 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bionicbone View Post
Did a few tests today with one of these.

1) Lifting up and then down 2kg for two mins, start temperature 21c, finished at 39c, max current draw 0.93 amps.
2) Holding 2kg at neutral position, 0.15 amps.

No plastic in these gears either, but the grease inside was not well placed so I have to move it around a little and add some more.

I've seen nothing to put me off though, indeed they look pretty good inside.

Kev
Exactly. some grease needed to be moved, no plastic. Jim