HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:43 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
3m Dual lock is not velcro and it does not need to a huge piece like we put on our batteries. I haven't seen the bottom of the PL6. But on the PL8 there are two "feet" that each could take small piece of dual lock and they could put a third on the bottom front.
i've acutally used that stuff before. it's pretty heavy duty...

can you clarify on your statement, "third on the bottom front"?

thx
teeforb is offline Find More Posts by teeforb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 05:59 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,246 Posts
Take a look at the PL8 and PL6 in these pictures. My comments were about the PL8 which has two feet in the rear. For the front area of the charger I was going to only add one small square of dual lock, right in the center on the bottom. But now I think about it, the charger would probaly rock side when using the buttons. So after rethinking it, I'd either use two in the front (one on each corner), or nothing at all since the rear ones may be strong enough. I need to get the case together first then I'll start testing to see what works.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
i can't recall where i got my dual lock from. where are u getting yours?

thx
Old Nov 28, 2011, 06:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
this will work, correct?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103345

i believe it's the same as 3m dual lock.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:02 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
also, are there any issues plugging/pulling the power supply while connected to the charger? My charger will be always connected to my PSU, and the PSU does not have an on/off switch...

thx
Old Nov 28, 2011, 07:56 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeforb View Post
also, are there any issues plugging/pulling the power supply while connected to the charger? My charger will be always connected to my PSU, and the PSU does not have an on/off switch...

thx
Hi:

You bought Meanwells, right? Shouldn't be any problem with those.

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:18 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,246 Posts
Quote:
i can't recall where i got my dual lock from. where are u getting yours? thx
Target seems to have the best prices but it can be found all over. Hardware stores, fabric stores, etc. It comes in clear or black.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 08:31 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Hi:

You bought Meanwells, right? Shouldn't be any problem with those.

Tim Marks
Yes, RSP.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:41 PM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Hey guys, i think this is the weakest link of my project. Im not confident that can hand 15AMPs. Maybe it can, you tell me. Should i solder?

thx

Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:46 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,246 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, i think this is the weakest link of my project. Im not confident that can hand 15AMPs.
To be honest, it will probably be fine. If were me, I'd solder. I like overhead when its comes easy and inexpensively. Now that you've gone to all that trouble, with the crimps and nice coverings, I'd test at 15 amps and take a measurement with your IR gun. If you get some heating consider soldering. Otherwise you are good to go. Are you running both supplies through that one plug? Or do you have two plugs?
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:13 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
To be honest, it will probably be fine. If were me, I'd solder. I like overhead when its comes easy and inexpensively. Now that you've gone to all that trouble, with the crimps and nice coverings, I'd test at 15 amps and take a measurement with your IR gun. If you get some heating consider soldering. Otherwise you are good to go. Are you running both supplies through that one plug? Or do you have two plugs?
Yes, I'm going to solder those joints. The crimps seems pretty secure. Better than those joints in the pics.

Yes, both supply on one AC cord.

I talked to a rep at meanwell. He says my power supply runs on AC at 10.1A each at full throttle (1000w). Since the power supply is 27v, the max I can occupy with the pl6 is around 816w. Which is around 80% of 1000w. So Im thinking around 16A (8A each) with the chargers full power, using those 816w each. Also, I'm sure (I hope) I won't be maxing both chargers at the same time.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:38 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,246 Posts
Those IEC connectors are only rated for 15 amps. But that is not where the problem is. PC power cords are typically rated at less than 15. Some as little as 8 amps. I did notice some warming on my smaller cords. Which is why I going with this thing and a heavy duty extention cable on my next case.

Old Nov 29, 2011, 01:26 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Hey guys,

I believe i am finished my setup. I haven't even charged a battery yet and i'm in shock in awe. You guys are right, this charger is very VERSATILE when connected to the computer! Can't wait til my first charge. Hope all goes well. I have been SLOWLY working on this system Nov 10th, when i first inquired about it. Since then, 92 posts full of questions. You guys are extremely helpful and I really appreciate it!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:43 AM
Joined Nov 2011
117 Posts
Hi Tim,

i finally was able to start some charging. However, i am finding a few issues. as you know, i have two power supplies (RSP-1000-27) and two PL6 (each on their own power supplies). One charger charges just fine. But the other charger, i seem to have problems with. It keeps on resetting, saying SVS reset or something like that. I tried turning off the charger and turning it back on, same thing.

another issues i am having, i can not series charge. I got the series charge system from EPbuddy.com. I checked the voltages, and everything seems fine and connected. WHen it check for cell count, it errors out and says something about FMA wire and i believe it says voltage HI/LO...

please help!

edit: I tried swapping power supplies, and the issue still exist for the same charger..

thanks
Last edited by teeforb; Nov 30, 2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 06:51 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,892 Posts
Quote:
Hi Tim,

i finally was able to start some charging. However, i am finding a few issues. as you know, i have two power supplies (RSP-1000-27) and two PL6 (each on their own power supplies). One charger charges just fine. But the other charger, i seem to have problems with. It keeps on resetting, saying SVS reset or something like that. I tried turning off the charger and turning it back on, same thing.

another issues i am having, i can not series charge. I got the series charge system from EPbuddy.com. I checked the voltages, and everything seems fine and connected. WHen it check for cell count, it errors out and says something about FMA wire and i believe it says voltage HI/LO...

please help!

edit: I tried swapping power supplies, and the issue still exist for the same charger..

thanks
Have you tried reloading the firmware on the PL6 that gives you the SVS? error?

I don't think your EPBUDDY adapter is series. It's parallel. Have you wired it to the FMA balance connector correctly?
Have you set the PL6 Node wiring to XH/EH mode? See the Options tab in the CCS.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1