Old Apr 13, 2010, 02:09 PM
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,158 Posts
Rant
Sick and Tired Of Futaba's Poor Service

I've had it with Futaba's Services form Product repair/replacement

I purchased a brand spankin new 8FG and after only a couple hours of operation I discovered that the touch pad would work intermittently. Cycling the power would resolve the issue, but on the next power up it would fail again. No, I didn't inadvertently lock the pad.

I let Futaba Support know about the issue, and they asked me to send it in for warranty repair. I went ahead and used the transmitter for several weeks because of the shows and events I wanted to attend. The problem continued.

I explained in my work request that it happens intermittently. I also requested on the work order form to save my data, there's a spot form it on their form for just such a request. But of course thereís a disclaimer. I sent it out along with a fubar R6008HS for core exchange.

After a couple weeks I received the transmitter back along with a new receiver, and a $100 bill. To my dismay several new scratches were present on the transmitter, especially around the variably knobs at the top. Oh well, it happens. I flipped the transmitter on to find that all my model memories had been errased! Hours of programming and difficult test flights lost! Ok, fine. Maybe they had to replace a major component, and it erased the memory. NOPE. Nothing. They ran a diagnostics and determined proper function, scratched it, erased the memory and sent it back to me. Wow! And all I had to pay was shipping there and back. And guess what, it's still broken!

Did they think I took the time and spent the money to have it shipped out there, missing a couple weeks of flying, just to screw them out of some warranty money?

They did replace my R6008HS with a new one. For $90 Ouch! Thatís the same cost as my CC PH-110HV was to replace. And the PH-110HV is worth more than 2x as much new. Maybe Castle is being really generous with their flat rates, and Futaba is normal. I dunno, seems a bit high to me, but this is another debate.

3/25/2010 Sent email to Futaba Service informing them of my dissatisfaction.

No reply

4/1/2010 Sent same email to Futaba Service informing them of my dissatisfaction.

4/2/2010 Received non apologetic reply asking if I wanted a return label for return.

4/5/2010 I replied back asking for label

no reply

4/8/2010 I sent another email asking for label

4/9/2010 They sent the label to my Mom and Dad's email address?? What the heck for? I wasn't talking to them through my parents email, I was talking to them via my email. Darn good thing Mom was paying attention and forwarded it to me.

So now, I have the email and the freaken link wont work to access my UPS label. I need to get this done because I have a show in mid-May and I need to test fly and program 3 new aircraft.

I called Futaba support and they informed me that I needed to update my account. What account? This is the first Futaba product (besides a servo) that I've owned. What account are you talking about? Oh, it's my Tower Hobbies account. Like I was supposed to know that it was all one giant company. So rather than taking 5 minutes to transfer the information from my work order request to the computer, they typed in my last name, found my Dad's account and lumped me in with him. Wow, what a personal touch.

Now I'm waiting for them to email my label, I'll let you know how it turns out...

I switched from JR to Futaba for this? I spend $1500+ on a transmitter and receivers for this? JR's support has always been outstanding. Don't make the same mistake I did. Stick with your JR.

Ok, there. Now, lets here all of those great success stories about their service to discredit me.

I feel better, kinda

-Joshua
Joshua Wesley is offline Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2010, 04:13 PM
Dangerous with CA
B'ham, AL
Joined Sep 2008
226 Posts
and thank your lucky stars for the free market system...
AtTheMet is offline Find More Posts by AtTheMet
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:54 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
No problems with Airtronics or JR...dumped Futaba in the 70's. Sorry to hear about your situation. art
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Apr 14, 2010, 09:47 PM
Quincy IL
Joined Jul 2006
528 Posts
Same here, will not use their stuff and our LHS will not sell Futaba equipment, only JR, Spectrum and Hitech.

Horizon screws up occasionally but they will fix the problem once it's brought to their attention.

Hugh
Hugh P is offline Find More Posts by Hugh P
Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:34 AM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,158 Posts
It's gotten a little better.

Since calling them they did get my account updated and sent me a new UPS label.

I also proved the failure to them as I captured it on video and posted is on youtube.

Let you know how it turns out.

-Joshua
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:38 PM
Zak
Serial plane killer
Joined Jun 2002
402 Posts
The 8FG was high on my list but not anymore.

I will stick with JR and go with the 11X when its available.

At least when we need service, we all know that Spektrum/JR/Horizon
are top notch and willing to help.

Thanks for the report.

Sylvain
Zak is offline Find More Posts by Zak
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:53 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
The 8FG was high on my list but not anymore.

I will stick with JR and go with the 11X when its available.

At least when we need service, we all know that Spektrum/JR/Horizon
are top notch and willing to help.

Thanks for the report.

Sylvain
It really happens with all brands. I had a problem with a new 12X that took three trips back to Horizon to resolve, including one "no problem found" trip.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:02 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
It really happens with all brands. I had a problem with a new 12X that took three trips back to Horizon to resolve, including one "no problem found" trip.

Azarr
I understand what you are saying. But the lack of promptness with replying to my concerns is what has me all fired up. Everyone make smistakes, and intermittent issues are very difficult to troubleshoot. I know, when a Citation comes in with an intermittent problem that I can't duplicate in the hangar I pull my hair out. But I tend to the customer and drop everything to help him until it's resolved. That's what makes the difference, and that's the service I expect from a company like JR or Futaba.

-Joshua
Old Apr 17, 2010, 01:24 PM
Zak
Serial plane killer
Joined Jun 2002
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post

Azarr

In this case, Futaba should have replaced the radio, and if they are so confident about the 'no problem found', then sell it as a refurb unit.

Shipping the radio back to the customer with scratches and memory erased is crazy enough in itself, but on top of that they tell you 'your radio is fine, idiot', and they add another layer of stupidity with a 100$ bill!

Just my 2 cents, you may disagree, and I respect that.

Sylvain
Zak is offline Find More Posts by Zak
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:48 AM
Joined Oct 2000
197 Posts
I can't understand why they charged you $100 for warranty work. Joshua, thanks for taking the time to share what happened to you on the forum here.
Kenneth is offline Find More Posts by Kenneth
Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:46 PM
Pa.
Joined Mar 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wesley View Post
I've had it with Futaba's Services form Product I spend $1500+ on a transmitter and receivers for this -Joshua

you all have heard ((((you get what you pay for)))) one more sales pitch some times you get more problems
dude7422 is offline Find More Posts by dude7422
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:41 PM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth View Post
I can't understand why they charged you $100 for warranty work. Joshua, thanks for taking the time to share what happened to you on the forum here.
In their defence, it was $10 for the warranty, and $90 flat rate on the 8Ch RX.

Still waiting on Futaba to update me on the status of my system.

-Joshua
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:16 PM
Pa.
Joined Mar 2009
837 Posts
joshua ya they have the slaves in china or child labor build there radios for 5 cents a hour... there is videos of workers making these radios here on rc groups... then want us to pay the full price as if it was made in japan or usa using labor rates 20 plus a hour reminds me of BLOOD DIAMOND
dude7422 is offline Find More Posts by dude7422
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:40 AM
Joined Apr 2010
43 Posts
Ya Get What Ya Pay For, Not Always

Futaba always chit and crap running RC cars and trucks, worse situation possible try to use them for flying and hands down you know your Trucked or mucked up
SlicTrix is offline Find More Posts by SlicTrix
Old May 02, 2010, 11:49 AM
Faster!
Joined Oct 2004
1,158 Posts
Update!!!

I got the 8FG back with no charge. They replaced the case because of the scratches and replaced a circuit board that activates the touch pad. I pulled it out of the package and it looked good! I turned it on and behold, my programming did not get deleted! Wow! They really can save your programming, and all it takes is getting a little tough with them.

Time will only tell if the problem is solved. I will know after the first weekend of flying. Overall I'm satisfied with the service this time.

However I'm a bit insulted. In the box was a printed section of the manual with the "pad lock" function highlighted. Did they bother to watch the video I sent them? You can clearly see the little key character is not on, and the pad still fails to work. Ya, I'm just that stupid.

Futaba 8FG Improper operation (0 min 27 sec)