HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:17 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
Can someone using the DM4330 on the 78 confirm the standoff length? I'm seeing 57mm, 60mm and 64mm in past posts. I'm using 50mm with the Hacker A60 and the DM4330 is 14mm shorter than the A60. Shorter is always easier to fix, but I'd rather not be 7mm off.
Aeroplayin is offline Find More Posts by Aeroplayin
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:22 PM
United States, VA, Great Falls
Joined Jun 2013
16 Posts
I used 59mm for my mounts and had about 1mm of cowl/firewall overlap.
DCDave is offline Find More Posts by DCDave
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:26 PM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
Thanks, Dave.

FYI -- I have some stock 50mm aluminum standoffs from Evolution on the A60 on Tom's 78 Extra.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2014, 03:34 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,391 Posts
I measured mine last night and I'm not sure why but the back of the spinner plate is 163mm from the firewall. Which is 2mm longer than it should be since my standoffs are 48mm. On my first 78" I was annoyed about the spinner gap but never checked if the motor dimensions on the Hacker spec sheet were correct. 2mm would have made it better if not perfect. On the new 78" I have at least a 5mm spinner gap maybe as much as 7mm. Looks like crap! I'm going to order some new standoffs probably 44mm to make this look better. I have 0mm overlay on the canopy so I have no more adjustment in that.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:43 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
Thanks, Alan. I posted this on the power thread but maybe someone here would be interested to know that I did buy the stock 60mm DLE-55 stand offs. They are actually 15g lighter than the 50mm standoffs in my previous post, all up with bolts and washers. It also looks like the 60mm will fit tighter than the 64mm I originally thought I would need. They were $21 including shipping from Valley View and got here in 4 days.

I will have to plug the holes drilled for the A60-7S and redrill for the DM4330 pattern, which is a smaller footprint -- 4mm hardwood dowels and either epoxy or CA, depending on the gap. Less gap = CA.

The swap in motor, standoffs, and going from a 10S 40C 5200 battery pack to a 12S 40C 3300 pack will mean that I'll save 12.5 ounces, get about 400 more RPMs from my 21x10 prop, at 25 fewer Amps, and I'll still get over 6 minutes in flight time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2014, 09:44 AM
3D-Lishus
North Carolina
Joined Nov 2009
62 Posts
Isn't a lot of this talk about spinner gap a function of cowl/canopy overlap? I normally figure the amount of overlap I want, measure the length of the motor, add the necessary spinner gap and then figure the length of stand-offs needed. With these cowls that don't have a ring I typically see around an inch of play forward and aft that the cowl can be adjusted.
I guess I'm not understanding why this is so critical when you have so much room for adjustment. What am I missing?
Brashair is offline Find More Posts by Brashair
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:10 AM
Not as Good as The Kid
South Pasadena, FL
Joined Sep 2009
7,247 Posts
Nothing, and I agree with you. The problem is that the cowl had been mounted already and since I needed new standoffs anyway for the shorter motor, I either would have custom standoffs made, or try to buy stock standoffs that would fit so that I would not have to reinforce the cowl mounting holes and remount.

With this size airplane that does not have a cowl ring, I typically insert a small grommet into the whole used for cowl mounting bolts. I didn't want to have to screw around with that and since custom standoffs are not that much more than stock, it was just a matter of figuring out what I needed, and I asked before I took the old motor off.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:13 AM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,391 Posts
In theory I agree but in reality I couldn't measure what I didn't have. I ordered the standoffs based on the spec, not in hand measurements. I went with the mfg posted dimensions and they all added up long. The manual says 5-1/8" which should have meant 48mm standoffs which I ordered. This resulted in a 5mm spinner gap with zero overlap on my first 78". On this one with the cowl again set with NO overlap on the left side of the canopy I have 6.5mm gap and it looks like crap. I measured from the bulkhead and like before the motor on standoffs is 2mm longer than 5-1/8" . I'm ordering new standoffs at 42mm so I can slide the cowl back and get about 1mm overlap and since the spinner opening is bigger than the spinner I can have zero spinner gap. Pretty much exactly like Brashair posted
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:07 PM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
978 Posts
A buddy was at the field today (around these parts he goes by the name Liberty10) and he brought his new 78" V2 Extra. I thought you guys might like to see a comparison of the new EXP sized elevators compared to my old V1 elevators. I'll definitely be purchasing the upgraded elevators as soon as they become available on the EF site.
Warbirds Rule is online now Find More Posts by Warbirds Rule
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:35 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbirds Rule View Post
A buddy was at the field today (around these parts he goes by the name Liberty10) and he brought his new 78" V2 Extra. I thought you guys might like to see a comparison of the new EXP sized elevators compared to my old V1 elevators. I'll definitely be purchasing the upgraded elevators as soon as they become available on the EF site.
Those should put a smile on your face
Ohio AV8TOR is online now Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR