SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:48 PM
Registered User
United States, NY, Rocky Point
Joined Jan 2005
247 Posts
Discussion
Climate skeptic scientist received 1.2 million from fossil fuel industry.

Ever wonder why 3% of climate scientists disagree with the other 97% ?

**************************************************

For years, politicians wanting to block legislation on climate change have bolstered their arguments by pointing to the work of a handful of scientists who claim that greenhouse gases pose little risk to humanity.

One of the names they invoke most often is Wei-Hock Soon, known as Willie, a scientist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics who claims that variations in the sun’s energy can largely explain recent global warming. He has often appeared on conservative news programs, testified before Congress and in state capitals, and starred at conferences of people who deny the risks of global warming.

But newly released documents show the extent to which Dr. Soon’s work has been tied to funding he received from corporate interests.

He has accepted more than $1.2 million in money from the fossil-fuel industry over the last decade while failing to disclose that conflict of interest in most of his scientific papers. At least 11 papers he has published since 2008 omitted such a disclosure, and in at least eight of those cases, he appears to have violated ethical guidelines of the journals that published his work.

snip

Though often described on conservative news programs as a “Harvard astrophysicist,” Dr. Soon is not an astrophysicist and has never been employed by Harvard. He is a part-time employee of the Smithsonian Institution with a doctoral degree in aerospace engineering. He has received little federal research money over the past decade and is thus responsible for bringing in his own funds, including his salary.

Though he has little formal training in climatology, Dr. Soon has for years published papers trying to show that variations in the sun’s energy can explain most recent global warming. His thesis is that human activity has played a relatively small role in causing climate change.

Many experts in the field say that Dr. Soon uses out-of-date data, publishes spurious correlations between solar output and climate indicators, and does not take account of the evidence implicating emissions from human behavior in climate change.

Gavin A. Schmidt, head of the Goddard Institute for Space Studies in Manhattan, a NASA division that studies climate change, said that the sun had probably accounted for no more than 10 percent of recent global warming and that greenhouse gases produced by human activity explained most of it.

“The science that Willie Soon does is almost pointless,” Dr. Schmidt said.

The Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, whose scientists focus largely on understanding distant stars and galaxies, routinely distances itself from Dr. Soon’s findings. The Smithsonian has also published a statement accepting the scientific consensus on climate change.

Dr. Alcock said that, aside from the disclosure issue, he thought it was important to protect Dr. Soon’s academic freedom, even if most of his colleagues disagreed with his findings.

Dr. Soon has found a warm welcome among politicians in Washington and state capitals who try to block climate action. United States Senator James M. Inhofe, an Oklahoma Republican who claims that climate change is a global scientific hoax, has repeatedly cited Dr. Soon’s work over the years.

In a Senate debate last month, Mr. Inhofe pointed to a poster with photos of scientists questioning the climate-change consensus, including Dr. Soon. “These are scientists that cannot be challenged,” the senator said. A spokeswoman for the senator said Friday that he was traveling and could not be reached for comment.

As of late last week, most of the journals in which Dr. Soon’s work had appeared were not aware of the newly disclosed documents. The Climate Investigations Center is planning to notify them over the coming week. Several journals advised of the situation by The New York Times said they would look into the matter.

CONTINUE READING THE MAIN STORY
209
COMMENTS
Robert J. Strangeway, the editor of a journal that published three of Dr. Soon’s papers, said that editors relied on authors to be candid about any conflicts of interest. “We assume that when people put stuff in a paper, or anywhere else, they’re basically being honest,” said Dr. Strangeway, editor of the Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics.

Dr. Oreskes, the Harvard science historian, said that academic institutions and scientific journals had been too lax in recent decades in ferreting out dubious research created to serve a corporate agenda.

“I think universities desperately need to look more closely at this issue,” Dr. Oreskes said. She added that Dr. Soon’s papers omitting disclosure of his corporate funding should be retracted by the journals that published them.


http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/us...pgtype=article
knowair is offline Find More Posts by knowair
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 08:57 PM
Registered User
United States, NY, Rocky Point
Joined Jan 2005
247 Posts
more from the article


The documents shed light on the role of scientists like Dr. Soon in fostering public debate over whether human activity is causing global warming. The vast majority of experts have concluded that it is and that greenhouse emissions pose long-term risks to civilization.

Historians and sociologists of science say that since the tobacco wars of the 1960s, corporations trying to block legislation that hurts their interests have employed a strategy of creating the appearance of scientific doubt, usually with the help of ostensibly independent researchers who accept industry funding.

Fossil-fuel interests have followed this approach for years, but the mechanics of their activities remained largely hidden.

“The whole doubt-mongering strategy relies on creating the impression of scientific debate,” said Naomi Oreskes, a historian of science at Harvard University and the co-author of “Merchants of Doubt,” a book about such campaigns. “Willie Soon is playing a role in a certain kind of political theater.”

Environmentalists have long questioned Dr. Soon’s work, and his acceptance of funding from the fossil-fuel industry was previously known. But the full extent of the links was not; the documents show that corporate contributions were tied to specific papers and were not disclosed, as required by modern standards of publishing.

“What it shows is the continuation of a long-term campaign by specific fossil-fuel companies and interests to undermine the scientific consensus on climate change,” said Kert Davies, executive director of the Climate Investigations Center, a group funded by foundations seeking to limit the risks of climate change.
knowair is offline Find More Posts by knowair
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:01 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2005
2,762 Posts
All you need know about profiting from the climate change lottery can be summed up in two words, Al Gore.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:02 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
RumRunner_1492's Avatar
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
How many billions/trillions do the believers get for their reports and altered data?
RumRunner_1492 is offline Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:04 PM
Multirotor geek
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Mar 2013
818 Posts
So the OP just posted evidence that who ever pays the bills, the studies get shown to be in the payees interest.

Outstanding, it's what we've been saying since this was called Global Warming.

Clyde
kenpoprofessor is online now Find More Posts by kenpoprofessor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:17 PM
Native American
BE77 Pilot's Avatar
Joined May 2010
433 Posts
LOL I WISH global warming was real I am freezing my off.
BE77 Pilot is offline Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:27 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
It proves something, but it ain't what the op thinks it is.
robogizzard is offline Find More Posts by robogizzard
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:46 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
LOL I WISH global warming was real I am freezing my off.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:51 PM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
LOL I WISH global warming was real I am freezing my off.
If these guys lived long enough they claim the next ice age is caused by global warming. They're in so deep they can't admit that just maybe they might be wrong.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:52 PM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowair View Post
Ever wonder why 3% of climate scientists disagree with the other 97% ?

**************************************************

For years, politicians wanting to block legislation on climate change have bolstered their arguments by pointing to the work of a handful of scientists who claim that greenhouse gases pose little risk to humanity.

One of the names they invoke most often is Wei-Hock Soon, known as Willie, a scientist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics who claims that variations in the sun’s energy can largely explain recent global warming. He has often appeared on conservative news programs, testified before Congress and in state capitals, and starred at conferences of people who deny the risks of global warming.

But newly released documents show the extent to which Dr. Soon’s work has been tied to funding he received from corporate interests.

He has accepted more than $1.2 million in money from the fossil-fuel industry over the last decade while failing to disclose that conflict of interest in most of his scientific papers. At least 11 papers he has published since 2008 omitted such a disclosure, and in at least eight of those cases, he appears to have violated ethical guidelines of the journals that published his work.

snip

Though often described on conservative news programs as a “Harvard astrophysicist,” Dr. Soon is not an astrophysicist and has never been employed by Harvard. He is a part-time employee of the Smithsonian Institution with a doctoral degree in aerospace engineering. He has received little federal research money over the past decade and is thus responsible for bringing in his own funds, including his salary.

Though he has little formal training in climatology, Dr. Soon has for years published papers trying to show that variations in the sun’s energy can explain most recent global warming. His thesis is that human activity has played a relatively small role in causing climate change.

Many experts in the field say that Dr. Soon uses out-of-date data, publishes spurious correlations between solar output and climate indicators, and does not take account of the evidence implicating emissions from human behavior in climate change.

Gavin A. Schmidt, head of the Goddard Institute for Space Studies in Manhattan, a NASA division that studies climate change, said that the sun had probably accounted for no more than 10 percent of recent global warming and that greenhouse gases produced by human activity explained most of it.

“The science that Willie Soon does is almost pointless,” Dr. Schmidt said.

The Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, whose scientists focus largely on understanding distant stars and galaxies, routinely distances itself from Dr. Soon’s findings. The Smithsonian has also published a statement accepting the scientific consensus on climate change.

Dr. Alcock said that, aside from the disclosure issue, he thought it was important to protect Dr. Soon’s academic freedom, even if most of his colleagues disagreed with his findings.

Dr. Soon has found a warm welcome among politicians in Washington and state capitals who try to block climate action. United States Senator James M. Inhofe, an Oklahoma Republican who claims that climate change is a global scientific hoax, has repeatedly cited Dr. Soon’s work over the years.

In a Senate debate last month, Mr. Inhofe pointed to a poster with photos of scientists questioning the climate-change consensus, including Dr. Soon. “These are scientists that cannot be challenged,” the senator said. A spokeswoman for the senator said Friday that he was traveling and could not be reached for comment.

As of late last week, most of the journals in which Dr. Soon’s work had appeared were not aware of the newly disclosed documents. The Climate Investigations Center is planning to notify them over the coming week. Several journals advised of the situation by The New York Times said they would look into the matter.

CONTINUE READING THE MAIN STORY
209
COMMENTS
Robert J. Strangeway, the editor of a journal that published three of Dr. Soon’s papers, said that editors relied on authors to be candid about any conflicts of interest. “We assume that when people put stuff in a paper, or anywhere else, they’re basically being honest,” said Dr. Strangeway, editor of the Journal of Atmospheric and Solar-Terrestrial Physics.

Dr. Oreskes, the Harvard science historian, said that academic institutions and scientific journals had been too lax in recent decades in ferreting out dubious research created to serve a corporate agenda.

“I think universities desperately need to look more closely at this issue,” Dr. Oreskes said. She added that Dr. Soon’s papers omitting disclosure of his corporate funding should be retracted by the journals that published them.


http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/us...pgtype=article
Do you think the believers would be satisfied with that little amount? Believe me, they get way more than that from other sources including Governments who have a whole lot more money than some corporation does.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:56 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2013
284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
Do you think the believers would be satisfied with that little amount? Believe me, they get way more than that from other sources including Governments who have a whole lot more money than some corporation does.
I guess we'll just have to take your word for it.... and believe you.
Sonny McGhee is offline Find More Posts by Sonny McGhee
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 09:57 PM
Registered User
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
and we're in the middle of an 18 year "pause" that none of the climate change experts can explain or model.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:01 PM
Registered User
mikefast's Avatar
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee View Post
I guess we'll just have to take your word for it.... and believe you.
All you have to do is look at one man, Your hero, Rev. Algore, who has already made over a hundred million from this global warming hoax. When he left office, he was worth a couple of million dollars. Now he is worth 300 million. I guess if I could figure out how to milk the hoax I'd do it too. Now multiply that times all of your so called scientists that are getting Govt. grants to study the "problem" and you get into some really big bucks.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ore-net-worth/
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:03 PM
Registered User
Joined May 2014
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
and we're in the middle of an 18 year "pause" that none of the climate change experts can explain or model.
Do you know how you know you are dealing with a person who worships co2? They will tell you how changes in air and ocean currents, and the related oscillations are "common sense."

Nevermind the fact that they think it is common sense that any changes in the climate or weather are caused by co2.
robogizzard is offline Find More Posts by robogizzard
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:05 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
Pipemajor's Avatar
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
All you have to do is look at one man, Your hero, Rev. Algore, who has already made over a hundred million from this global warming hoax. When he left office, he was worth a couple of million dollars. Now he is worth 300 million. I guess if I could figure out how to milk the hoax I'd do it too. Now multiply that times all of your so called scientists that are getting Govt. grants to study the "problem" and you get into some really big bucks.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/ric...ore-net-worth/
Perhaps it is the politicians who get the bucks after all...

The Daily Show - Burn Noticed (10 min 38 sec)
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Harvard students sue over fossil fuel investments Ron H Life, The Universe, and Politics 4 Feb 21, 2015 08:31 PM
Discussion Climate change skeptic sees the light Gerald Life, The Universe, and Politics 71 Aug 05, 2012 01:57 PM
Discussion Climate scientists vs climate denialists Jim Thomerson Life, The Universe, and Politics 161 May 25, 2010 10:22 AM
Discussion Open Letter from German scientists– Climate Change MtnGoat Life, The Universe, and Politics 39 Jan 13, 2010 08:13 AM
Discussion Portrait of a local climate skeptic MtnGoat Life, The Universe, and Politics 41 Dec 14, 2009 06:22 PM