HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by maguro, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:01 PM
Father Francis, formerly Apach
Joined Oct 2006
2,028 Posts
My 2000th post.

I had always wondered what my 2000th post would say and I had hoped it would say something worthwhile. But....

I still visit the forums from time to time when not building, designing, teaching and offering a helping hand elsewhere in my community. I am like most, (I believe) in these threads and that is that I look at things from a laymens point of view. Over the years I have picked up on some of the high polluting language used by those far more advanced than myself, but call it hard headedness or indesire I keep it simple. The kF airfoil has opened a whole new world to builders and pilots alike that would never have gotten as far as they did in this wonderful hobby without it. Regardless of the numbers, this concept works. Plain and simple, it has been used in different variations on a multitude of model aircraft and now propellers. The ease of building, the lessened time versus built up structures and the overall cost to monetary and time constraints has made the kF airfoil the number one choice by many, in which ever variation. I will let all you who are definately more intelligent regarding the numbers here continue the debate and I will watch and learn. But, while you do the scientific I will be enjoying the realistic in that the kF airfoil works. I like to keep it fun...

Father Francis
ApachePilot is offline Find More Posts by ApachePilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2015, 03:10 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,224 Posts
Jack...

It has been pointed out to me that the comparison between the KFm1 and the NACA4415 is not a very good test because the NACA4415 is a rather poor airfoil. However, the KFm1 is not nearly as good lift-to-drag wise as a KFm2 which was not tested.

I still feel that the KFm1 did not come out looking like a dog.

I have been in contact with Dylan Anderson, who is away on assignment, and he told me that he was not able to produce any further results on the KF because of needing different parameters for the computer to handle. He hopes to wrap things up with his conclusions soon.

Apparently testing a step/vortex requires a whole new set of parameters.
Nothing is simple.
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jan 20, 2015, 02:37 AM
Joined Jun 2011
126 Posts
Hi Dick,
your Icon inspired me, togheter with other things, to develop this deceptively simple airplane model. I called it the Hexaring.
Enjoy !

Hexaring Flugbereich 01 (1 min 47 sec)

Hexaring SP04 (2 min 57 sec)

Hexaring maiden flight (5 min 10 sec)

Hexaring indoor SV06 (6 min 12 sec)
Blendedwing is offline Find More Posts by Blendedwing
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:00 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,224 Posts
[QUOTE=Blendedwing;30534521]Hi Dick,
your Icon inspired me, togheter with other things, to develop this deceptively simple airplane model. I called it the Hexaring.
Enjoy !

Blendedwing.....

I did enjoy those videos very much. They were very enjoyable to watch. It's a great looking aircraft that performs very well.

Thank you so much!

~ Dick
Dickeroo is offline Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:48 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo View Post
Jack...

It has been pointed out to me that the comparison between the KFm1 and the NACA4415 is not a very good test because the NACA4415 is a rather poor airfoil. However, the KFm1 is not nearly as good lift-to-drag wise as a KFm2 which was not tested.

I still feel that the KFm1 did not come out looking like a dog.

I have been in contact with Dylan Anderson, who is away on assignment, and he told me that he was not able to produce any further results on the KF because of needing different parameters for the computer to handle. He hopes to wrap things up with his conclusions soon.

Apparently testing a step/vortex requires a whole new set of parameters.
Nothing is simple.
No, the KFm1 looked OK. it was fine. But I'll bet the KFm2, 3 or 4 would have looked even better yet, don't you?

The KFm1 has always sort of baffled most of us simply because we think the step is on the wrong side of the wing. But there is no arguing with success.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 09, 2015, 01:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
31 Posts
did any oder have a Data xy file for the kfm 6? I want to generate a dxf file to cut it with my milling machine
druckgott is offline Find More Posts by druckgott
Old Feb 09, 2015, 02:57 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,401 Posts
There is not one wing plan or design that is used for that wing, each builder would used sheets of foam and build that wing to suit his dimensions and needs.

As an example, if I were to build it with sheets of 1/4"/6mm foam I most often use it would be five layers of foam contact glued together. The red lines in the image shows how the layers would be stacked. The nose would be cut or sanded to the round shape or maybe one with a little sharper leading edge.

To cut that from a single sheet of thicker foam would be possible I suppose. The location and height and of each step would define the cutting paths for making it on a milling machine.

There may be an advantage to buiding the wing in layers as the ccontact glued layers will be stiffer than most single layer foam of the same thickness. And building that way also allows for adding spars between the layers.

But don't let me discourage you from trying it, come back and show us your wing if you make one. We are always interested in new techniques and designs.

Jack
Old Feb 09, 2015, 03:02 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by druckgott View Post
did any oder have a Data xy file for the kfm 6? I want to generate a dxf file to cut it with my milling machine
KFm airfoils are more of a concept rather than accurately defined shapes.
Anyone wishing to make a, say, Selig 4233 could find the data to make exactly that.
Not so with any of the KFm series.
Anything with 2 symmetrical steps on both surfaces is a KFm 6.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Feb 09, 2015, 03:09 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,401 Posts
If you want to see some KFm6 wings in use, you can search the forums for that word, it will produce a number of planes that have been build that way, some may have plans, but I think making a dxf file should be pretty simple, basically a collection of straight line cuts.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...871&query=KFM6

Jack
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:25 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,546 Posts
Yeah, that's one of the advantages of the KF modified series. It's really easy to put together a wing that is composed of straight cut sheets laminated together. The fact that the KF step requires a straight up-and-down trailing edge to work right is a gift from heaven.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Feb 10, 2015, 04:03 PM
2.4GHz systems, Electrics, FPV
New Zealand, Otago, Alexandra
Joined May 2006
129 Posts
Plans???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blendedwing View Post
Hi Dick,
Enjoy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayAV...mbRkAhyNAIeKjA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CDk...mbRkAhyNAIeKjA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgAQ...mbRkAhyNAIeKjA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUel...mbRkAhyNAIeKjA
I enjoyed the videos and was wondering about plans..it looks good for flying in a small area aka park...Thanks...Laurie
Laurence Carroll is offline Find More Posts by Laurence Carroll
Old Feb 10, 2015, 05:00 PM
Joined Nov 2007
1,803 Posts
Me too Me too!

Plans, or a sketch with some dimensions would really be appreciated.
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Old Feb 11, 2015, 03:52 AM
Joined Jun 2011
126 Posts
Laurence, Steve,
thank you for your enthusiastic words.
Unfortunatly there are difficulties with the plan.
On one side the Aerodynamik is still work in progress: improving on certain undesired carachteristics that are non visible in the videos.
On the other side the model is steered through a nightmärisch programming of the sender.
That is also being work upon, would be difficult to replicate in another sender ...
Please consider it like a DARPA projekt: interesting but not ripe for reproduction ...
Blendedwing is offline Find More Posts by Blendedwing