Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 26, 2014, 09:51 AM
United States, WA, Twisp
Joined Sep 2013
364 Posts
Discussion
HK Turnigy Hercules, NOT feeling the love...

I realize this is a fairly new frame, AND it's from Hobby King, but I really don't understand why there isn't more chatter about it. There's a thread for it, but near as I can tell, only about 10 of us have bought one, and on the rare occasions it gets posted to, it ends up back on page 5 within an hour. HEY, PEOPLE, WAKE UP, THIS IS A COOL BIRD AND DESERVES A SERIOUS LOOK !

It's a good size, 500mm, looks cool, goes together fast and easy, and it flies pretty nice. Would make a good AV platform for a Mobius (what I intend to do with it), but could also work well for FPV, or maybe even a GoPro. It's relatively heavy, 460 grams bare frame, and mine is 1210 AUW with SS V2216-12 800 KV motors, Q-Brain ESC, GWS EP10x6 3 blade props, and a 3S 3300 mAh Nano-tech battery. Hovers just under 50% throttle, and although not a rocket, it'll go vertical in a hurry if I punch it. All in all, a pretty nice frame, and one I'm looking forward to spending more time with. And just to make it easy to check it out, here's the link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...pter_KIT_.html Later.

Dave
daved20319 is online now Find More Posts by daved20319
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2014, 11:04 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2013
494 Posts
I have one too and like it, it's a well made frame. But I think it looks a little silly with the fossilized reptile head and everything. I think most people who build their own multi want something more industrial or prototype looking. The other thing is that you have to order it from the china warehouse, which scares some away, even tough it took only about 11 days until I received mine. Then there is the missing spacer/ standoff thing that everybody sees in the reviews.

To this day I have not gotten the two missing standoffs. I had to fill out a form on the HK site, make a bunch of pics to show which ones were missing, even though they knew exactly which ones were missing, since pretty much all kits miss the same parts. A couple of days later they contacted me offering me a $5 dollar store credit, and that I should get back to them to accept the offer if I want, which I did but have not received the store credit. Honestly, I don't even want their $5. I ordered some 18mm standoffs on ebay.
Made in Austria is online now Find More Posts by Made in Austria
Last edited by Made in Austria; May 26, 2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:59 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made in Austria View Post
I have one too and like it, it's a well made frame. But I think it looks a little silly with the fossilized reptile head and everything. I think most people who build their own multi want something more industrial or prototype looking. The other thing is that you have to order it from the china warehouse, which scares some away, even tough it took only about 11 days until I received mine. Then there is the missing spacer/ standoff thing that everybody sees in the reviews.

To this day I have not gotten the two missing standoffs. I had to fill out a form on the HK site, make a bunch of pics to show which ones were missing, even though they knew exactly which ones were missing, since pretty much all kits miss the same parts. A couple of days later they contacted me offering me a $5 dollar store credit, and that I should get back to them to accept the offer if I want, which I did but have not received the store credit. Honestly, I don't even want their $5. I ordered some 18mm standoffs on ebay.
I bought one and started to assemble it, and also bought the HK X650 F quad copter. When the latter arrived I started to assemble that too and liked the frame much better, it was bigger and much stronger and more rigid, so I stopped working on the Hercules and put my equipment into the X650F.

I have now cannibalised the Hercules, using the landing gear on a new HK Alien 560 and the reptile canopy on an Armattan V-tail, where it looks much cooler!.

The remainder of the Hercules frame is looking sad and sorry for itself.. But I would be interested in seeing someone finish it and fly it.

Hobbyking Alien 560 Quadcopter - kit first impressions. (3 min 37 sec)

Frakkin' Cylons!! (0 min 52 sec)

Mods to the V-Tail (0 min 58 sec)
Rob2160 is offline Find More Posts by Rob2160
Last edited by Rob2160; May 27, 2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old May 27, 2014, 11:03 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2013
494 Posts
^ Looks great man!
Made in Austria is online now Find More Posts by Made in Austria