Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:02 PM
Bunbury, WA, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
53 Posts
Thanks for all that info, too old and cranky to go for the 12 Ch, will get an 11X Zero less module, which looks a nice easy changeover. Should keep me going until......

George
GEORGE III is offline Find More Posts by GEORGE III
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:06 PM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,373 Posts
Just tried swapping modules. Had the JR 2.4 module in. Pulled module out. Turned on tx into setup menu. Switched models to one that uses XPS. Went back to the setup menu. Turned off transmitter. Plugged in XPS module. Turned on and it works. Checked the monitor screen and could move all 12 output channels. My XPD is currently in the room my birds are in and they are asleep, so can not say what it would read but I'm sure there are 12 channels coming out. The screen does say 2.4 on it.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:54 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
But does your transmitter have a location for a full length 72MHz antenna? There is a difference between the DSM/2/X 12x and the 36/40/50/72MHz version.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:00 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,373 Posts
Yes, my 12X MV transmitter has the antenna mount for the 72MHz antenna, which is stored in a slot near the bottom of the transmitter.
GBR2 is online now Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:34 PM
Bunbury, WA, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
53 Posts
FR Stuff

Seeing that this thread is being used for any old thing, will a module/board be available for Frsky Taranis?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6206&page=301?

As the release date for a Tx is uncertain, might not people see this as an alternative? I am not going to buy one, just asking.
GEORGE III is offline Find More Posts by GEORGE III
Old Jun 30, 2013, 11:10 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
We won't be making a module specifically for transmitters made by companies other than Futaba, JR, Spektrum, and Hitec. However, our Universal Module works with anything made in the last 40 years.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2013, 07:00 AM
Australia, QLD, King Scrub
Joined Jun 2005
1,367 Posts
JR module will fit the Taranis I believe, Ive got one waiting......
twang is offline Find More Posts by twang
Old Jul 01, 2013, 04:48 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,431 Posts
JR module works fine in the 9X, so should work in the Taranis.

(With the 9X the JR standard "6 volt" pin is grounded, but unless your XPS module is very, very old and was not updated it won't use the 6 volt pin at all.)

And unless FrSky has done their homework the XPS module could possibly be the "out of the box" lowest latency 2.4 module setup with the transmitter.
(DX4e hack module could/would be faster, but only capable of 6 channels)

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Last edited by pmackenzie; Jul 01, 2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jul 01, 2013, 08:04 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
If you are basing latency figures out the RunRyder info, then expect even better results because that was done prior to the Nano - which by itself removes 7ms of latency compared to the original 8/10 channel receivers. There were also other improvements through the years that dropped the transmitter module side latency as well. I am pretty sure we have the fastest modules on the market.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2013, 09:21 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
If you are basing latency figures out the RunRyder info, then expect even better results because that was done prior to the Nano - which by itself removes 7ms of latency compared to the original 8/10 channel receivers. There were also other improvements through the years that dropped the transmitter module side latency as well. I am pretty sure we have the fastest modules on the market.
I did my own testing actually, using the nano.
Similar method to runryder, but I analyzed the result a bit differently.

XPS was definitely the best of the 2.4 I tested (XPS,FrSky,FlySky and Spektrum DM9 and also FM with various receivers and JR PCM)
Not a big list, but based on what I saw I don't think it would be possible for a PPM based system to be any faster than XPS. (XPS was basically as good as an FM system using a shift register receiver - so does not really add any latency worst case)

FrSky I think has the same problem that XPS had originally - not syncing the RF with the PPM.
Main difference is that once the problem was pointed out to you in the early runryder testing it was fixed, FrSky have so far done nothing to fix their slow system.

Also tested an SD10G, which is a very fast system. I will test the Taranis when I can finally get one to see if they have listened/understood how slow their existing stuff is.

I look forward to testing an integrated XPS system someday as well.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jul 01, 2013, 09:35 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,671 Posts
The direct connect modules, like the EVO (and Aurora 9 if they ever fix their internal latency) offer the least amount of latency because there is no PPM stream to decode - it's straight data. Likewise, our transmitter is a direct connect internal system with even better performance because there is no inter-communications between the calculated data and the RF module.
RCG Plus Member