Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 29, 2013, 12:27 AM
Australia
Joined Jan 2010
29 Posts
No Good

Well the parts turned up from Reginald yesterday and they looked all good until I fitted the Con Rod to the Crankshaft, a loose fit!

The diameter of the hole through the bottom of the Con Rod (where it attaches to the Crankshaft) is 0.250". The pin on the crankshaft that the Con Rod attaches to is 0.216", that's a difference of 0.034", bugger! It would appear that it is missing it's brass bush but in saying that the top end of the Con Rod (where it attaches to the piston) doesn't have a brass bush either but in this case it doesn't need one as the 'wrist pin' fits nicely.

I'm at a lose as to what to do now other than looking for a 2nd hand engine off eBay?

The dimensions of the Con Rod that Reginald sent me is as follows:

Con Rod Length: 1.600"
Piston Pin Hole Dia: 0.196"
Crank Shaft Attach Pin Dia: 0.216"

I'm thinking of making a bush for the lower end but that's going to be time consuming. I've emailed some eBay sellers to look at their current Con Rods that they have for sale to see whether they will fit. Failing that I'll be posting back Reginalds parts for someone else to be able to use.

If your reading this forum Reginald, thank you for your help.

If anyone has other options I'm all ears!
Sheriff_1969 is offline Find More Posts by Sheriff_1969
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2013, 01:32 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,434 Posts
Must be another model OS since I did try fit the conrod onto the crankshaft pin
and it was a perfect fit, NO brone bushing on my new engine neither, OS did not always fit bushings, just look at their early 120 twin : NO bushings alu direct onto steel, there was no other way.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:23 AM
supreme being of leisure
Tel Aviv, Israel
Joined Jul 2004
2,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
As well as the engines that belong to engineMagnet , of my own engines (and I'm not going to strip them all down just to check) there's the Enya 45, Enya 60, Taipan 61, Mercos 49/61 and K&B61.
i have a veco 61 and there are no bushings in the piston. maybe they had problems in that area so K&B added them?
ZAGNUT is online now Find More Posts by ZAGNUT
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:44 AM
Sweden, Stockholm
Joined Jan 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff_1969 View Post
Well the parts turned up from Reginald yesterday and they looked all good until I fitted the Con Rod to the Crankshaft, a loose fit!

I'm at a lose as to what to do now other than looking for a 2nd hand engine off eBay?

The dimensions of the Con Rod that Reginald sent me is as follows:

Con Rod Length: 1.600"
Piston Pin Hole Dia: 0.196"
Crank Shaft Attach Pin Dia: 0.216"

If anyone has other options I'm all ears!
Sheriff,

As Downunder stated in post #2, there are two models of MAX-H 40. I believe yours is the newer model, with dual ball bearing, shown in my previous post. That one has bushed con rod.

The older has smaller/narrower Perry port. The older is the one in the pics here.

But if you are out in the market for used, my choice would be Webra Speed 40 or even 50 (less wieght and more power compared to Webra 40), usually going in the 30-50 range, may be a bit less from US. Not saying there are no other good used engine options...and I also love my OS-s

Cheers,
/Rui
engineMagnet is offline Find More Posts by engineMagnet
Last edited by engineMagnet; Mar 29, 2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: ugly typo
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:46 AM
Australia
Joined Jan 2010
29 Posts
Pain in the ar$e!

Have ordered some new rings off the RingMaster and I have gone out and purchased new bearings for it also. I honestly thought that the Con Rod from Reginald would fit as the part number matched as per post #8.

It's looking more and more like I'll have to make a bush for the lower end of the Con Rod in order to get this little 'beasty' up a running again. Oh well!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:58 PM
Australia
Joined Jan 2010
29 Posts
Success!

Received today a brand new ConRod from Robair81 from eBay and it fits like a glove. OS Engine Part number is #24205001. It is listed as fitting onto the 40R/C, 40FSR, 40FSR-S.

I have the new rings from The RingMaster, just need to get some new bearings which have been discussed to deat on another post.

Thanks to everyone for their valuable input.

Reginald-I'll be posting back the parts you sent me. Thanks for your help!