HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:57 PM
Mikalle
Woodbridge NJ
Joined May 2010
24 Posts
Question
where to find retracts

Hi, I purchased my 1st plane that has retractable landing gear, a E flite hurricane 25E. It's sold by Horizon Hobby and the landing gear is 15 - 25 90-Degree Main Electric Retracts by E-flite (EFLG200). They want $90 plus shipping which I think is pricey. My question is do I bite the bullet and buy the landing gear from them or can I find another brand cheaper or find E flight landing gear cheaper elsewhere?

Mike
Mikalle is offline Find More Posts by Mikalle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:40 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikalle View Post
Hi, I purchased my 1st plane that has retractable landing gear, a E flite hurricane 25E. It's sold by Horizon Hobby and the landing gear is 15 - 25 90-Degree Main Electric Retracts by E-flite (EFLG200). They want $90 plus shipping which I think is pricey. My question is do I bite the bullet and buy the landing gear from them or can I find another brand cheaper or find E flight landing gear cheaper elsewhere?

Mike
A little research would have shown you that $90 is not pricy, it's the going rate. You won't find E-flite's any cheaper elsewhere, bite the bullet. If you really want cheatp, look at Hobby King! Remember, you get what you pay for!!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:48 AM
Mikalle
Woodbridge NJ
Joined May 2010
24 Posts
While I have no problem paying for quality I think $45 for a servo that retracts is ridiculous.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:38 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,383 Posts
I dont follow where you're coming from and I think from your statement you might not understand retracts. EFlites are servoless, they plug directly into the receiver. Mechanical retracts use a retract servo, and $45 isnt a bad price for a good metal gear retract servo. The two better ones on the market are JR 791 ($60) and the newer Spektrum proportional retract servo at around $45. Cooler is right, you dont want gear problems on your plane. It just causes damage. Spend the money.
Edwin
Had another thought, something to consider. Retracts are usually the 2nd highest price, or the highest price part on my planes. I learned my lesson years ago about using cheap retracts.
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:20 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,502 Posts
All retracts are made in China so the word Eflite means nothing. Your paying for the name . The Eflite ones are no better then the ones HK sell
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:23 PM
Mikalle
Woodbridge NJ
Joined May 2010
24 Posts
I can understand Eflite,s retracts being somewhat better than the ones you might get at Hobby King. But $45 versus $7.50, the retracts that Eflite,s sells are 600% better than hobby Kings! I'm buying a pair of retracts from Hobby King, will see what happens.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:04 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
I presently use these on 3+ lb vintage balsa .25 sized pattern ships with no problems at all including the occasional hard landing.

The price includes shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DY-1023-Elec...item3cc526f24a

I actually bought these same units for 15 bucks a pair shipped last year, but cannot find that source anymore. Quite a bargain.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is online now Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:42 PM
Mikalle
Woodbridge NJ
Joined May 2010
24 Posts
Spadcat,

check out these retracts on hobby King:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...stem_1pc_.html

They look very similar and I have ordered a pair for my plane.

Mike
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:51 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikalle View Post
Spadcat,

check out these retracts on hobby King:

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...stem_1pc_.html

They look very similar and I have ordered a pair for my plane.

Mike
Yes they do and the price is good, even when you include shipping. I do have a nose gear version that is that size and a smaller lighter pair for smaller planes. The length is about 53mm while the larger size is about 64mm.

I have many flights and landing cycles with no problem. I think the E-Flights are way overpriced and probably made by the same manufacturer.

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is online now Find More Posts by SpadCat2000