HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:23 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Maiden fight of the 717???.........ehhhh....not exactly.

Took the 717 out for an attempt at a maiden today. I had all my ducks in a row, did my taxi check in the driveway, all systems were go. Called a couple of mates to lend a hand, one to help with any possible trim, the other to shoot video. .... Got the field about 11:30 am and there was a slight breeze crossing from the SW but nothing to keep me from giving it a go.

Hooked her up, taxied down to the end of the runway (parking lot) and noticed she was crabbing a hell of a lot more than she had at home. Started the TO run and about 15 feet into the wind up the right truck came apart....

Apparently there was simply too much play in the main trucks and my buds convinced me that discretion was the better part of valor. I got some advice on how to rebuild the trucks, spent the rest of the afternoon doing just that and hopefully, on the next outing I 'll have something more interesting to report.

Keep the faith, somethings coming soon....
jmpdgs is offline Find More Posts by jmpdgs
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:36 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpdgs View Post
Took the 717 out for an attempt at a maiden today. I had all my ducks in a row, did my taxi check in the driveway, all systems were go. Called a couple of mates to lend a hand, one to help with any possible trim, the other to shoot video. .... Got the field about 11:30 am and there was a slight breeze crossing from the SW but nothing to keep me from giving it a go.

Hooked her up, taxied down to the end of the runway (parking lot) and noticed she was crabbing a hell of a lot more than she had at home. Started the TO run and about 15 feet into the wind up the right truck came apart....

Apparently there was simply too much play in the main trucks and my buds convinced me that discretion was the better part of valor. I got some advice on how to rebuild the trucks, spent the rest of the afternoon doing just that and hopefully, on the next outing I 'll have something more interesting to report.

Keep the faith, somethings coming soon....
Sorry to hear about that Joe, you'll fix the minor glitch & have a AWESOME maiden! Just don't rush yourself or let anyone rush you! you'll maiden her when your ready.
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introducing The "Demon-Claw"...
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:41 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,276 Posts
I am also looking forward to lots of video and a flight test report. Good stuff. I even enjoy taxi test videos like the really nice Connie build on this forum.
Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Apr 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Well, conditions have been conspiring against me it appears, and the 717 will NOT be maidened in time for SEFF. However, all that means is that any potential disasters/triumphs will be shared live and on site as I attempt to maiden her there!

God help me... LoL.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:36 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,515 Posts
Quote:
Well, conditions have been conspiring against me it appears, and the 717 will NOT be maidened in time for SEFF. However, all that means is that any potential disasters/triumphs will be shared live and on site as I attempt to maiden her there!

God help me... LoL.
Just don't tell anyone!
KFC is online now Find More Posts by KFC
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:25 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
Just don't tell anyone!
Yeah the organizers of Big Fly-Ins Like SEFF, Nall Don't like maidens being made at the event but the reality is 15-20% of ALL planes there have their maiden Flight there.

Joe just one thing Sir, No matter how many people at SEFF tell you to put your 717 in the air . . .your the pilot & builder of your bird & that decision lies with you and you alone!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 10:20 AM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Curses foiled again!

No worries guys.. This AM I braved the 20-30mph gusts and took her out for a taxi test which went less well than anticipated, she's still crabbing A LOT. As I am packing up the van today reading for an early AM departure tomorrow (I'm 10 hours away). I don't know that I will have enough time to get her back on the bench, adjusted and retested in time.

Having never been to SEFF, I assume from what I've seen in videos that there is no paved surface. The 717 has very small (1.22" diameter) wheels and I'm afraid that the extra stress and drag from a less than perfectly aligned gear may make TO a huge hassle if not impossible. I'm going to hurry along now and get my chores done so I can get it back on the bench and hopefully sort it out. If not, I'll simply have to replace her with one of my warbirds.

Man plans, and the RC gods laugh....
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:31 PM
KFC
Blue Foam Master!!!
United States, KY, Hanson
Joined May 2007
2,515 Posts
The runway is grass, but it is cut very short and the whole field is as smooth as a putting green (not exaggeration). I can easily ROG our E-flite airliner off Mac's field with no problem.
KFC is online now Find More Posts by KFC
Last edited by KFC; Apr 20, 2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:15 PM
United States, WA, Kirkland
Joined Dec 2011
354 Posts
Quote:
Hi Chris:

The latest development was disappointing to say the least. I purchased some cheap servoless retracts from HK and after a 3 week wait, they arrived on Thursday the 8th. Two of the units intended for the 717 were DOA and the other two (I always buy at least one backup) worked only about 30% of the times cycled!

Yesterday I requested an RMA and HK said they wanted a video of the defective parts! Can you imagine....LoL..... Being a video guy, I figured, sure...you want a video so everyone can see what a pile of junk you sell looks like?.....No problem!...

Today, they responded with yet another email requesting that I fill out a form on their website. I did,........ 3 times... and got a "website error" please try again each time....

I'm over it... I just ordered some other units I know will work and will issue a charge back through Paypal. It's happened before with HK and it's just the way they do business I guess. Prices are good, but their customer service is almost non-existent.

So I'm sitting here waiting again and playing with the A320 that looks like will be staying here after all. Nothing like getting a free plane! Sometimes people make me hang and shake my head simultaneously... (ok....i'm whining again..).

I Plan to be at SEFF and hopefully the 717, the A320 and the 777 will all be there as well, but I never lose sight of the fact that life happens......What's the saying, "man plans and God laughs".
I watched one of the videos of flite test where anthony said hobbyking means the customer is king ( I doubt that ). I have had much defective stuff shipped from them which i never bothered returning since they ask me to make a video take pictures etc.

their prices are low and their website is more usable than many other places so I guess they have got something right atleast
CoolD is online now Find More Posts by CoolD
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:11 PM
A Global Force For Good
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Jun 2009
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KFC View Post
The runway is grass, but it is cut very short and the whole field is as smooth as a putting green (not exaggeration). I can easily ROG our E-flite airliner off Mac's field with no problem.
Well, by the time I got everything packed up, the sun was setting so I didn't get a chance to address the LG problem on the 717. The reality is that it's likely for the best. Fixing the problem correctly and then flying it off of familiar ground is a far better idea than rushing things and unnecessarily risking disappointment.

So, I've thrown a couple of replacements into the van and will TCOB on the 717 upon my return.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:03 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,339 Posts
Joe . . . .MIA

Joe . . .. where are you buddy?

Are you alright?

You've taken ALL your RC videos down off your youtube account & havent said a word here on RCG since Early may.

I just Hope all is well buddy!
RCG Plus Member