Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,284 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Pivot Cut by Tailwind Gliders

Tailwind Gliders is offering a FREE 12-minute instructional video on cutting highly tapered wing cores using a Pivot Cut method.

This is a 618Meg download. It is in a zipped .mp4 file format.
Download here:
http://www.twg.tailwindgliders.com/TWG/Pivotcut.zip

To learn more about Cutting and Bagging Foam Wings or making Composite Pod and Boom Fuselage's please visit here for more details and Sales.

Comments are always appreciated.

Curtis Suter
www.TailwindGliders.com
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Nov 17, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:25 PM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2006
73 Posts
Nice! I tried your method while cutting some DLG tails today. Your method was every bit as effect as my method, but easier to set up... which surprised me, because I didn't think my method could have been any more simple.
MarkRebuck is offline Find More Posts by MarkRebuck
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:29 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,738 Posts
Really like your video, Curtis!

As you know I've been cutting foam for a long time and am always looking for new ways! Just love yours! Even us old dogs can learn new tricks!

If you guys don't have his videos, they are money well spent ! And this one is a freebie!

Thanks and Blue Skies........................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:37 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,284 Posts
It's building season in the Northern Hemisphere so don't forget this may be useful to you. It's FREE!

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 12:38 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,284 Posts
reserved
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:50 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,284 Posts
It's building season in the Northern Hemisphere so don't forget this may be useful to you. It's FREE!

http://tailwindgliders.com/Tips.html

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:17 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,738 Posts
Got a chance to try this tonight.

According to your foam calc sheet, I needed a longer bow for the cores I need.So I dug out the first bow that I ever made way back in 1978! And updated it to my current design. Been wanting to do this anyway and for a long time.

Since I like wooden style legs and a Spanish windlass tension system , I needed a slightly different pivot system. No problem a piece of tubing was hiding out near the workbench and kept saying " use me!" so I did. Just cut a slot in it for the wire to nest in and the leg rests on the workbench surface, Just fine!

The cores are 17.937 inch long , the root is 12 inch and the tip is 6.188 inch so your calce said the core needed to be 18.9 inches from the pivot point. And that is exactly where it needed to be!

The first cut was made, and I gotta say, not quite what I expected! Really? this thing is cutting this smooth? Then the top cut was made. Wow! is it really this easy? Proof of the pudding is lifting off the core beds!

NICE! Best tapered beaded styro cores that I have ever cut! Next the other wing half was cut, This time backward, just like in your video! Man this is too easy!

Thanks Curtis!

And Blue Skies.......................Tim
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:46 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,049 Posts
Curtis,
Another great video. I have tried this method a couple of times before, but I see where I was making my mistakes. Can't wait to try this out!
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:31 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
5,284 Posts
Tim,

Nice, very nice! Thanks for the kind comments and for sharing your excellent results.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 02:39 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,738 Posts
One more little tip.

I cut several sets of these wings, but didn't figure this out until almost finished.

Put pieces of masking tape on the table where the blanks line up! DUH! Then lay each blank in the masking tape lines, guess that was to simple for me!

Blue Skies....................Tim
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:45 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,049 Posts
Tim - I really like the design you used for the bow, but how to you adjust the tension? I have one similar to the one Curtis used in the video, but my tension always seems to be off and I can not seem to keep it constant so I am looking for an alternative idea.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:55 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_tech View Post
Tim - I really like the design you used for the bow, but how to you adjust the tension? I have one similar to the one Curtis used in the video, but my tension always seems to be off and I can not seem to keep it constant so I am looking for an alternative idea.
At the top of the bow a piece of winch line tied in a loop. The stick in the middle is twisted until enough tension is reached. This is called a " spanish windlass" and is quite springy! I can very easily break a wire with it! When the wire heats up, the spanish windlass maintains tension well. And it can easily be adjusted if needed.

The legs pivot on bolts through plywood plates glued and screwed to the cross bar.

After making my very first bow many moons ago, I thought I needed a Feathercut bow. Hated the thing, so I sold it, like wood more better!

Blue Skies......................Tim
Last edited by RWCLOUD; Mar 12, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:41 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,049 Posts
Thanks Tim.
I see a new tool in my future...