HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by JamesNeal, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Mar 2008
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Oh I don't think it's an issue of being out of date, I think it's an issue of nit picking in order to give yourself something to do around a bunch of people who are incredibly safe.
For reasons like this, I will never join a club.
Adicakes is offline Find More Posts by Adicakes
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:26 AM
Tellin' it like it is!
Joined Sep 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
The planes I fly are made out of EPP foam, and the engine's on the back, and weigh under two pounds. The prop is held on with an O ring. Yes, you could have a really, really freak accident and hurt somebody, but there is no way that thing could kill somebody unless it startled them and they hit their head on a rock. My friend is learning to fly with a similar foam trainer. Its motor is on the front, but still it would take a very rare combination of events to injure somebody with that plane.
Someone's getting the picture! An unpopular opinion is no less likely to be correct than a popular one.

Just liberate your mind, think outside the box, avoid this cotton-wool group-think that we're all a step away from death, and consider that RCers might've been taking things too seriously!
JamesNeal is offline Find More Posts by JamesNeal
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:42 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,927 Posts
My Slow Stick is absolutely deadly. If it crashed into a car at full speed, about 35 mph, it could scratch paint, smudge the glass or maybe get pieces stuck in the tire treads when it was run over. But there is a small chance that with a moving car and a perfect right angle strike on the windshield that it might break a windshield, sort of like a golf ball or baseball.

The major damage is the 11" meat cleaver on the front of the thing with a 200W motor. That WOULD slice a leg to the bone with the thin APC 11x4.7 SF prop, or if I need to slice up some corned beef for my reuben sandwiches in a pinch. If one were inclined to test it, it's probably capable of severing a finger. I really don't want to know.

But just like you practice safety with your toaster by not sticking a knife into it to get your bread out, that doesn't mean that by cautioning your son not to stick a knife in there that you are some kind of member of "cotton-wool group-think." That stuff is just trolling, plain and simple and deserves our contempt.

Reasoned concern for safety is not anti-fun. It is not something worthy of being made fun of. It's a part of our lives every day. I used to manage news-carriers. When training them they would have a tendency to run stop signs. After all, it was 2:00 in the morning and nobody was out there. I'd ask them "what do you think you're doing?" and they'd give the troll's response of "heck I'm the only one out here, there's one chance in a thousand anybody is coming, lighten up!"

So I'd go through the math with them. "How many stop signs on your route? Let's pretend there's only ten. You're out here 365 days a year running ten stop signs a night, that's 3,650 signs in a year. You've totalled your car before four months are out. A one in a thousand chance is a statistical certainty that it will happen. Then you're outta business. You can't afford that."

The same applies to reasoned safety practices in RC. Sure, anything can be misused. But if misuse of proper safety procedures means that we shouldn't use any, then misuse of money means we shouldn't have any money, cheating spouses mean nobody should get married, one breakdown of a certain model car would mean that its production should be prohibited, one corrupt policeman should mean that we need to get rid of them all...... the troll goes on and on. It's worthy of ridicule. It's worthy of contempt. There is no truth there at all worth paying attention to.

This is equivalent to the guy who was banned for recommending that APC slow flier props be spinned at 20,000 RPM when the manufacturer publishes an upper limit of 6,000 RPM for safe operation on the packaging of each slow flier prop. I think continued advocacy of ignoring safety procedures and just flying is worthy of banning from RC Groups. It's that serious.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Oct 11, 2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
Fishing on a lake dangerous? I guess those trout or bass are real maneaters. I guess you could call it dangerous, if you count drowning. that's dangerous. Been .
flying boat (0 min 55 sec)
OneLastweedle is offline Find More Posts by OneLastweedle
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:40 AM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
JamesNeal/SouthPark is saying ridiculous stuff for this kind of reaction. I don't think it's to be malicious. I think it's being done in jest. I'll bet he's having a good laugh anyways...
That's the definition of trolling.
dedStik is online now Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:47 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelingp View Post
The planes I fly are made out of EPP foam, and the engine's on the back, and weigh under two pounds. The prop is held on with an O ring. Yes, you could have a really, really freak accident and hurt somebody, but there is no way that thing could kill somebody unless it startled them and they hit their head on a rock. My friend is learning to fly with a similar foam trainer. Its motor is on the front, but still it would take a very rare combination of events to injure somebody with that plane.
Yes they could fall and hit their head on a rock, or the ground, or it could hit a windshield and cause a fatal car accident. This is the exact reason they shouldn't be dismissed. Danger exists, the moment you start acting like it can't hurt someone, you begin to get careless and then someone gets hurt.

A nice lawsuit from hitting someones kid or paying for someones trip to the ER would change your mind quick.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:47 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adicakes View Post
For reasons like this, I will never join a club.
What I'm talking about is extremely rare, and I did have to think a bit to come up with an example of being too safety conscious. Clubs are the safest places to fly these things, period. That's why you should join one and fly there. Bad attitudes exist everywhere, and at the park, you aren't going to win an argument over safety, you're gonna be kicked out.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Feb 2012
5,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
My Slow Stick is absolutely deadly. If it crashed into a car at full speed, about 35 mph, it could scratch paint, smudge the glass or maybe get pieces stuck in the tire treads when it was run over. But there is a small chance that with a moving car and a perfect right angle strike on the windshield that it might break a windshield, sort of like a golf ball or baseball.
I'd say the true damage is how well the driver dealt with the windshield impact whether it broke the windshield or bounced off. More than likely it could easily cause an accident in a drivers knee jerk reaction.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:03 AM
Respect my AUTHORIFLYHHHH !!
Joined Sep 2010
25 Posts
Quote:

A one in a thousand chance is a statistical certainty that it will happen.
Man, what Doomsday / paradoxical shiz you shoveling now Bro ?
"There's a one in a thousand chance it will certainly happen" ??? LOL

Check this out RR ,seems like a scenario you'd dig

Butters dancing (1 min 0 sec)
SouthParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by SouthParkflyer
Last edited by SouthParkflyer; Oct 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
Space power
United States, IA, Hampton
Joined May 2012
296 Posts
Those safety goons would have you tie your shoe in the unlikely event that it would fly off. How dare they spoil your fun by telling you to tie your shoes. You act as if they are telling you not to fly. Encouraging people to ignore safety so they can have more fun is ignorance at its worst. Is tying your shoes before you go out somehow ruining the fun or is it just the idea that it is safer ruining it. Yes this is just a troll to get the old guys riled up, but it can plant the seed in the weak minded.
cfircav8r is online now Find More Posts by cfircav8r
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthParkflyer View Post
Man, what Doomsday / paradoxical shiz you're shoveling now Bro ?
"There's a one in a thousand chance it will certainly happen' ??? LOL
Actually he makes a really good point and you ignore it at your own peril.

Many people do not understand the principles of probability, and as RR pointed out, they can't do the basic math that would show them objectively that they are taking a huge risk. "Deal Or No Deal" proved that average folks are statistically stupid, and I found it amusing and agonizing at the same time - great show.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:56 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
3,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthParkflyer View Post
Man, what Doomsday / paradoxical shiz you shoveling now Bro ?
"There's a one in a thousand chance it will certainly happen" ??? LOL

Check this out RR ,seems like a scenario you'd dig
Hope you catch something for all that trolling. I peddle the truth in this here neighborhood, bro.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Hope you catch something for all that trolling. I peddle the truth in this here neighborhood, bro.
Posted in the theme of this thread and with only good humor:

CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
buyer of the farm
Joined Mar 2009
3,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Actually he makes a really good point and you ignore it at your own peril.

Many people do not understand the principles of probability, and as RR pointed out, they can't do the basic math that would show them objectively that they are taking a huge risk. "Deal Or No Deal" proved that average folks are statistically stupid, and I found it amusing and agonizing at the same time - great show.
And to be fair, if something has a one in a thousand chance of happening, like the collision at an intersection, the math doesn't work out that it is a statistical certainty by 1,000 tries. It's closer to 2,000 tries before the bang is a statistical certainty. But in my example, instead of running 10 stop signs per day, the guy was running 50. He actually listened and changed his ways, unlike some of the people in this thread.

Risk tolerance is something we determine for ourselves. But we tend to do it poorly. We are all concerned about some things that don't happen very often, while we blow off lightning hazard, for instance, which kills 10,000 people a year. I assure you nobody in Florida, where I live, takes lightning lighrly. We are the lightning capital of the world.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:09 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,440 Posts
It's quite simple.

If you know what you are doing, and take precautions, there is a very small chance you will get hurt. However, if you choose to be ignorant and do not take care while flying, chances are you're gonna get hurt.

Now, close this pitifully stalling thread.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude