HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:53 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,350 Posts
Some things just aren't worth the risk though. Besides, it's not that the information is lost. Such stuff is actually well documented SOMEWHERE. It's just not always commonly found in the public domain without some searching.

For example back in Leonardo DaVinci's time it was the norm to make varnish by boiling linseed oil to modify it and mixing this with various tree resins. But the process of boiling the linseed oil was hellishly dangerous. Fires and outright explosions were not uncommon. And with all that hot oil flying around you can imagine how dangerous such a procedure was to anyone close by as well as the physical surroundings.

These days the "boiled" linseed oil we buy at the local paint store is simply raw linseed oil modified with chemical dryers to force the oil to polymerize on contact with the air at a faster than normal rate. The exact same process that came from actually boiling the oil in the past but MUCH safer. So sometimes the new ways ARE better.
BMatthews is online now Find More Posts by BMatthews
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2013, 11:43 PM
United States, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Sep 2012
13 Posts
Speaking of good old days. Our beloved krylon spray paint has been forced by the epa to change it's formula. No more recoat anytime. It now has an application window just like all the other brands. So sad.
Bill Milam is offline Find More Posts by Bill Milam
Old Oct 13, 2013, 10:35 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,912 Posts
Projecting an oblique curve

I just saw this thread, and hope this answer helps.

Draw a reference chord line on the airfoil.
Draw the oblique reference line for the angled rib
Project measurement points vertically to the oblique line.
Then draw at a right angle to the oblique line and transfer the measurements (a to a', b to b', c to c')
Then draw a smooth curve.

Reference sketch attached.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2013, 08:31 PM
Good to be flying again!
United States, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Aug 2012
80 Posts
Great Ideas all! I am about to start building a scale model and this thread really came through for me.
There really is several wings to one model of plane we flew during the cold war.Martin B-57 Canberra. I am wanting to make it scale and a good slope soarer. I have the airfoil names but lack the info spacifics. The Canbarras wing had the ribs like you are discussing. I am trying to figure if I want to go that route. I am planning on a museum model also so people can see some of the wing and fusalage internals.
Again great question! It shure answered mine
gordon
MookieStick is offline Find More Posts by MookieStick