HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2014, 09:42 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
619 Posts
Wow, would be an expensive crash, so be careful with that Enigma.

Ha, and I worry about a cheap GWS Corsair going down. Of course, now they're virtually unavailable, so maybe they're sort of priceless, and worry is justified.

That's why I got out of flying gas helicopters about 20 years ago. It cost about $150.00 at that time just to replace the main blades, and it occurred far too often if you just accidentally tipped it too far this way or that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi1970 View Post
Total loss, nothing not wrecked or burnt up But in the spirit of being knocked down and getting right back up I ordered this
http://www.soaringusa.com/Enigma-F5B.html
Powered by one of these
http://www.soaringusa.com/NEU-Motor-....5Y-6.7-1.html
Spinning these
http://www.soaringusa.com/RFM-16x16-...ding-Prop.html
Also working on a 80" span Demon for mild sport soaring. The Demon will not be a speed burner but rather elegance with a tad of power. Here is the impeller cooled motor going into the Demon, just arrived today. The motor will make around 600 watts sustained and close to 900 burst. The motor going into the Enigma will produce 2500 plus burst watts of hold on to your butt we going for a ride.

With every death there must be a rebirth
QuizCat is offline Find More Posts by QuizCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2014, 07:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,304 Posts
You know quiz, the way I see it My problem with me crashing anymore is that I get bored and do stupid things to amuse myself. I will have to remind myself to behave Not mine but built the same as mine will be when finished. It may be hard to behave. I will have this plane by 700 watts.
Staufenbiel Hotliner HAWK F5B 1800 Watt (9 min 27 sec)
semperfi1970 is offline Find More Posts by semperfi1970
Old Aug 09, 2014, 08:50 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
619 Posts
Well, no matter how hard we try, we know they'll eventually go down, sometimes due to a fault of our own with respect to our pushing the envelope, or due to just a technical failure that we simply can't help.

Looks like it has the potential to be pretty 'ed fast!!! Soooo, stay on your toes as you get some thrills!

Quote:
You know quiz, the way I see it My problem with me crashing anymore is that I get bored and do stupid things to amuse myself. I will have to remind myself to behave Not mine but built the same as mine will be when finished. It may be hard to behave. I will have this plane by 700 watts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncDVcPmD8DU
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
1,304 Posts
Not a warbird Quiz but I threw a Formosa together the past few weeks. It has a 480 plus motor spinning a 11x5.5 prop on 3s 2200mah 50c battery. The plane is much brighter than the picture shows. It is fluorescent yellow and green fern camo.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 08:35 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,249 Posts
Quote:
Not a warbird Quiz but I threw a Formosa together the past few weeks. It has a 480 plus motor spinning a 11x5.5 prop on 3s 2200mah 50c battery. The plane is much brighter than the picture shows. It is fluorescent yellow and green fern camo.
Not familiar with the '480-plus' but, I am sure you can make it go faster by Propping it down to 10 inch diameter and a slightly higher pitch say, 7.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,304 Posts
Actually the video was made with a 9x9. I tried a 11x5.5 and felt there was a lack of torque. With a 480 plus motor about all I could do for more speed is drop to a 8x8 and go 4s. The plane is fun but no speed demon as it would be a real handful at any real speed. The plane has big control surfaces and the throws would need to be set so low for speed that I would have to take off and land at different settings.

The 480 plus motor is a heavy duty work horse of the 480 world. Simple motor with gobs of torque and power. They are very tolerant of being over amped and the bearings never say die sitting on there 5mm shaft. Great cheap motor with way more power than any other 480 in its weight class for half the dollars.
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Power-Up...otor-E-570.htm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:40 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
619 Posts
Love your paint jobs! Always creative...I get the idea that you've got that paint job aspect of building down to almost an assembly line efficiency. You always make it look so easy...being so prolific at turning them out quickly, and each with creative, interesting, and attractive paint jobs to boot. Don't know how you do it

Quote:
Last edited by QuizCat; Aug 11, 2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:19 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,304 Posts
The truth is Quiz, I don't paint much of anything. That is what the Daughter is for. You should see my lawn, looks great. That's what the son is for
Its my job flying and crashing
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:38 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
619 Posts
LOL, well, at least I don't feel so badly about being so slow at turning mine out, knowing that you have all that help at home!

Quote:
The truth is Quiz, I don't paint much of anything. That is what the Daughter is for. You should see my lawn, looks great. That's what the son is for
Its my job flying and crashing
Old Sep 02, 2014, 06:41 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,304 Posts
Here is the Demon I told you about. The wingspan is 80" and a pain in the butt to transport. With a spotter and a set of binoculars a buddy and I take it out of sight straight up with a 15 second motor burn. The climb rate is sick Here is a video of the maiden from a few weeks back. Here is a plane for you if you want something that floats in, a 100 yard football field is a very small target for this kind of glider. It just retains energy and sails forever. My data logger told me in the video that I ran the motor for 27 seconds and it was a 6 minute video. My longest flight to date was 49 minutes on a total of 2 minute motor run.

How is that AT-6 coming bud?

Demon 2000 Hobby King (6 min 6 sec)
Old Sep 04, 2014, 07:44 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
619 Posts
I've seen similar ones at the flying field, and contemplated them before. That design is quite a departure for one with a thirst for speed. With regard to the flight time of 49 minutes, is that because you got tired or bored with it at 49 minutes, or because it ran out of juice. I would think that it would have lasted almost into infinity, and much longer than 49 minutes on just two minutes of the motor running.

The AT6 hasn't moved... I've been so busy this summer with work, and tending to stuff outside the home, that I haven't even been to the flying club all summer long. And, that's a shame because the weather has, up to now, been really quite mild all summer long, lower temps, low humidity compared to normal, etc...I am hoping to get with it this fall, once I've gotten all the stuff in the vegetable garden prepped for winter, and if my travel schedule doesn't interfer, which based on what I'm seeing on the schedule so far, is not likely.

Quote:
Here is the Demon I told you about. The wingspan is 80" and a pain in the butt to transport. With a spotter and a set of binoculars a buddy and I take it out of sight straight up with a 15 second motor burn. The climb rate is sick Here is a video of the maiden from a few weeks back. Here is a plane for you if you want something that floats in, a 100 yard football field is a very small target for this kind of glider. It just retains energy and sails forever. My data logger told me in the video that I ran the motor for 27 seconds and it was a 6 minute video. My longest flight to date was 49 minutes on a total of 2 minute motor run.

How is that AT-6 coming bud?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X2u4...bGtm_SLC2osTGw
Old Sep 04, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,304 Posts
Quiz, the name of the game is limited motor run with maximum loft time. With a 7 to 10 second run on the motor it is about out of sight then its thermal hunting time. The chosen motor/prop combo will take it vertical well over 100 mph if desired The plane is very quick but a speed demon it is not as I am over amping the motor for ballistic vertical. Much more than a 10 second burst and the motor and 70 amp esc is cooked. It was 47 minutes of searching the sky for lift and two minutes of zoom climbs back to altitude. I will have to make a video for you of it going vertical. For its size it gets very small very fast.
Old Sep 05, 2014, 07:47 AM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Jan 2010
619 Posts
Wouldn't you be able to tool around on the motor for longer than 10 second bursts if throttle was operated moderately? I understand, though, that the quicker you find the thermals, using speed to get there, the quicker you can cut the motor completely.

Quote:
Quiz, the name of the game is limited motor run with maximum loft time. With a 7 to 10 second run on the motor it is about out of sight then its thermal hunting time. The chosen motor/prop combo will take it vertical well over 100 mph if desired The plane is very quick but a speed demon it is not as I am over amping the motor for ballistic vertical. Much more than a 10 second burst and the motor and 70 amp esc is cooked. It was 47 minutes of searching the sky for lift and two minutes of zoom climbs back to altitude. I will have to make a video for you of it going vertical. For its size it gets very small very fast.
Last edited by QuizCat; Sep 05, 2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2014, 07:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,304 Posts
Quiz, you are rite in that it will cruse around on the motor at 1/8th throttle with no problem and stay cool. Its the ballistic vertical that is half the fun Soft launch, point it up and go WOT for a few seconds or till the wings flutter then kill the throttle and it still climbs for a few hundred feet then level out and search. More so than not its a slow gentle sled ride down from god knows how high.