HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:34 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,817 Posts
Help!
Switch options

Sooo, a little while ago, I made two separate free flights with my Passer on the slopes. Each was when I landed with the intention of doing some sort of "ground work", but then rapidly changing my mind to do another quick flight. It's only after fingertips transition from plane to stick, that the sinking-stomach feel is due to a forehead-smacking realization that I forgot to turn the plane back on.

The first was rather funny in front of several others, resulting in an arcing Hammerhead to the left that ended with a perfectly beautiful lawn-darted-vertical fuselage into the rocky soil. A few chips of paint, some hees and haws by others (and myself) and all was well.

The second was on a zen-like solo day- a rare weekday off from work and virtually no people at all in the park, I could well have flown nude if I desired.
The low sun reflecting off the Bay waters was absolutely magical...siiiigghhhh. Yet I landed with the dread of driving home with the "commute crowd". The few steps towards my gear, and into the sun, had me realize it didn't matter if I drove in the crown now, or later, so with a huge grin I chucked it again.
The very first thought was "I forgot to turn my transmitter back on!" a quick flip of that switch was followed by....oohhhhh yeaahhhh, the plane is turned off too.
It took a lazy turn to the right, back into the "rotor-side" (thankfully a lazy-winded day) and by 270 it was headed towards the Bay. I refrained from blindly running towards a constantly moving target and watched it make one...two...and a quarter turns, softly settling into the dry grass. I made a 200' walk along the topography, with hardly an elevation change...NICE!

Where was I?

Oh yeah, so I made up a few switch-jacks for several planes so that I'd have a bright streamer/plug dangling in my face that had to be removed before flight. (Oh yeah, on my smaller planes I turn off the tiny 270mA packs each and every time I land to conserve power) But the jacks themselves seem hokey. They don't seat firmly into the plugs. They are in the way while carrying many planes up the hill at once, or during transport, and can fall out if bumped, turning the plane on.

A slide switch on the canopy was my former method...so how can I combine the "remove before flight" aspect plus super easy recharging feature of a switch jack, with the vastly more "reliable and user-friendly" slide switch?
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:37 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,770 Posts
Hl Magnetic switchES from Soaring USA are awesome. Maybe not exactly what you were thinking, and a little pricey, but they're awesome!

http://www.soaringusa.com/Magnetic-Switch-Hall.html
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,817 Posts
gulp! pricey to be sure...but very interesting.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:53 PM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
260 Posts
Stay with your current switches and train yourself to wiggle the sticks every time before you launch.

Mark
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:06 AM
setting CG with ceiling fan on
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Apr 2010
509 Posts
What he said^^. A pre flight check should be a habit. Lucky lesson. I have chucked the Weasel out with it off earlier in my flying career! I suppose most of us have done it.
bluzharp is offline Find More Posts by bluzharp
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:07 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,928 Posts
A long hike in poison oak and raspberry vines drilled the "stick-wiggle" into my pre-flight.

I've seen a guy launch a Zagi with the switch off about 10 years ago at our hill in Marin, and that plane was airborne for at least five minutes before it went over the back and 500' down the hill. He was gone for a bout 45 minutes, but managed to find it.

I rarely use switches- I usually use a short 3" lead from the receiver, and plug the battery directly into it. I'll usually add a bead of goop from the connector shell to the insulation to prevent me from pulling the insulation back and exposing the wires. I've had setups like this last for 10 years.
slopemeno is online now Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:43 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,817 Posts
yeah...the stick wiggle thing...i do it, I've always done it, from day one...

...funny tangent to show how my brain works... I had a Honda PC800 motorcycle for many years. I had a steep, off-cambered, pine needle covered driveway in the woods. Quite often I'd drop it on its side trying to maneuver it, resulting in a broken mirror. At $450 each mishap, it'd sometimes be quite some time before it got replaced. Each and every ride I'd look down at the "mirror" and not see any cars (because there was no mirror!) and ride accordingly.
Even in the middle of telling myself there was no mirror, the reflexes would kick in and say "No cars there, my man!" even though the logical side of my brain was saying "There's no mirror there, man!"

The stick wiggle has become a "routine" in and of itself, like a pitcher doing some silly glove smack-hat adjust before letting loose. The stick wiggle has lost its desired effect and has become an entirely separate habit in and of itself, disassociated with the actual control surfaces.

Now I need some sort of visual aid, dangling between my hand launch arm and eye balls.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:19 AM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Could you add one of those lost model alarms that made a constant sound when power was on? That way it would make it so... "Hear something? Ok, it's on, good to launch!", or "Don't hear something? Hmm, that's strange, lets launch. Oh crapp, I didn't hear anything, it must be off, ".

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Dec 23, 2012, 08:24 AM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Gaaaawdaammmittt... yer a pilot fer crissakes!

Sorry I think I just channelled my grandfather there, a primary flight instructor during WWII and my own primary instructor for many life lessons.

I'm not a fan of switches either. But I'm a huge fan of preflight routines that you do each & every time - with full attention - prior to takeoff.

Good luck! You can use your head or your feet - the choice is yours...

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:30 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,909 Posts
Wiggling the sticks before I toss is so deeply rooted in my brain that it would take a conscious, deliberate effort on my part to not do it. What I have failed to do on a couple of occasions is verify that the correct model is active in my radio, but that's a rarity and something which I'd like to say is now part of my pre-flight routine.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:33 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2004
5,897 Posts
Maybe we should get the government involved.......
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,322 Posts
Whose?

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
Just Toss It !!!
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined May 2004
5,897 Posts
Ours silly!...... The All Knowing...The Compassionate...
MATIN is offline Find More Posts by MATIN
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:42 PM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
Gaaaawdaammmittt... yer a pilot fer crissakes!

Sorry I think I just channelled my grandfather there, a primary flight instructor during WWII and my own primary instructor for many life lessons.

Good luck! You can use your head or your feet - the choice is yours...

Steve
Classic Steve - sage wisdom!

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Dec 23, 2012, 03:57 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,467 Posts
I've seen several slope planes crap out in the air due to contact, or fail to turn on or off on
the ground, or even short out and threaten to burn up due to faulty switches. I usually just plug
the battery directly into the Rx, or use a short extension (as suggested earlier).
I particularly don't like switch jacks because one little pebble down the hole (we do land in
the dirt a lot after all) and you can no longer turn the plane on or off. A lot of people like to put
the switch jack on top of the canopy which makes it impossible to stack planes in the car.
I've also lost, and seen others lose the plug in the field and then you can't easily turn
the plane off. Switches, we don't need no stinkin switches..

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member