SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
Help!
tx and rx

after my very first flight ive learnt a few things..

I can fly a model plane

And not to buy cheap radio gear

I started my engine.. Slowly let it warm up... Lined up for take off.. Slowly opened the throttle.. A little back stick and up it went.... Set the trims ans it climbed away and started to bank to the left lowering to 3/4 throttle. . Then...

Nothing.... No control.... Oops...

Taking the advice of my local shop i fitted a planet t5 system to my 40 nitro trainer. .. Whick now ive later found is only a mid range system...

So after repairs ive fitted a spektrum ar6200 rx using a dx6i tx.. Is this a good setup
marzy69 is offline Find More Posts by marzy69
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,238 Posts
It should work fine for you. It is best to run Spektrum on a 6v battery though.
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Nov 2012
6 Posts
Yeah ive just read that on another thread.. 6v it is then
marzy69 is offline Find More Posts by marzy69
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,428 Posts
planet t5 system?
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, OR, Canby
Joined Aug 2011
2,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
planet t5 system?
Google is your friend.

http://www.alwayshobbies.com/Model-Boats/Radio-Control-Equipment/Transmitters-$4-Receivers/Planet-T5-2$34GHz-Transmitter-$4-Receiver-Set-Mode-2.ice
600Bob is offline Find More Posts by 600Bob
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:04 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,184 Posts
I'd like to make a correction to the op...you can takeoff a model plane...landing wheels down is part of the flight process....Please get with an instructor...there is so much you don't know that you really don't know how much you don't know.
If you would have had an instructor you might not have had this issue
Good Luck to you
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:53 AM
Shrewsbury, Shropshire.
Joined Mar 2008
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05 View Post
I'd like to make a correction to the op...you can takeoff a model plane...landing wheels down is part of the flight process....Please get with an instructor...there is so much you don't know that you really don't know how much you don't know.
If you would have had an instructor you might not have had this issue
Good Luck to you
I agree!
Monza Red is offline Find More Posts by Monza Red
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:49 PM
Mtn Home, Idaho
Joined Feb 2010
443 Posts
The more you know the less you know.
Evan03 is offline Find More Posts by Evan03
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
Lesson #1: Always do a preflight range check. and also make sure your failsafe is low throttle
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:20 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzy69 View Post
after my very first flight ive learnt a few things..

I can fly a model plane

And not to buy cheap radio gear

I started my engine.. Slowly let it warm up... Lined up for take off.. Slowly opened the throttle.. A little back stick and up it went.... Set the trims ans it climbed away and started to bank to the left lowering to 3/4 throttle. . Then...

Nothing.... No control.... Oops...

Taking the advice of my local shop i fitted a planet t5 system to my 40 nitro trainer. .. Whick now ive later found is only a mid range system...

So after repairs ive fitted a spektrum ar6200 rx using a dx6i tx.. Is this a good setup
Curious how you arrived at this conclusion.. and I don't mean any disrespect at all. As it sounds, you never really got to fly your plane unfortunately.

I'm not familiar with the particular radio other then a quick Google search.. and I'm not saying it "wasn't" the equipment... but... planes fly every day with low to mid-range equipment... and if you're calling the radio system "mid-range" it should have no problem handling your needs.

As someone stated.. a good flight instructor is essential.. and might have avoided your unfortunate mis-hap by doing a simple "pre-flight check". I read nothing about a "range check", or any component that might have failed or what lead you to believe it was the radio system ...What condition were your batteries in?.. Did you get a reading on them before your crash.. or even after your crash?..thats a clue sometimes. A range-check might have raised some issues.. Again.. I'm not saying it wasn't what you suspected.. but I'm wondering if you pondered any of the above mentioned scenarios.

Thing is.. there's no "magic" anything that will give you the knowledge that you might need to be successful.. the most expensive radio in the world won't save your plane if its not set up properly.. and handled and inspected with a keen trained eye.

Theres only a few ways of getting experience.. really only one way..but there's many experiences.. The way it sounds you're not getting a very good experience.. the experience you're having is not positive. If you find someone with experience, you can ask for help, and most flyers that have experience would be happy to assist... we were all there at one time.

The alternative is to take your chances... as many times as your patience and wallet will allow.. and you might catch on before your broke.. or you might not. I hope you do.

When my friends tell me "those things are expensive".. I tell them "only if you crash them"... its a fact. I wish you luck.

PS... The Spektum equipment is decent... so if you have probs in the future.. you can probably look elsewhere as to the culprit.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Last edited by DGrant; Dec 05, 2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,220 Posts
I know I've learned the hard way, everything has to be perfect. One loose screw and you have a big pile of balsa peices. Several years ago, after spending a month building my first kit, I left out a servo screw and on the first flight it got to about 50 feet before spirling to the ground. It pays to take your plane to the local club and have someone give a good going over.
FloridaFlyBob is offline Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob