SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:38 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
611 Posts
Discussion
A new experience with CA.

In all my years of model building, have never run accross this experience. Yesterday I was glueing mounting blocks on my Smit Nederland to mount a geared down winch. Using CA adhesive, all went well. Today, continuing on with my winch install, while glueing down some more blocks, I find that the adhesive had lost its "sticktivity" Held it for 5 min. and still not sticking. Have left it overnight and hopefully will have stuck. I found that I had left the cap off overnight. Could this cause it to lose its quick dry capabilities? Anyone else run into this problem?

Norm
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,419 Posts
I leave mine uncapped all the time, no issue. Sometimes there's too much air in the joint, like with porous oak or mahogany... CA kicker takes care of it.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:53 AM
Brisbane
Joined Feb 2008
294 Posts
ADAGIO (slow dancin' man)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olscuzbut View Post
In all my years of model building, have never run across this experience. Yesterday I was glueing mounting blocks on my Smit Nederland to mount a geared down winch. Using CA adhesive, all went well. Today, continuing on with my winch install, while glueing down some more blocks, I find that the adhesive had lost its "sticktivity" Held it for 5 min. and still not sticking. Have left it overnight and hopefully will have stuck. I found that I had left the cap off overnight. Could this cause it to lose its quick dry capabilities? Anyone else run into this problem?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olscuzbut View Post

Norm
Norm, no issue, sorry to say but it's all your own fault for leaving the lid off. The stickum stuff in superglue evaporates leaving the carrier which won't glue; and the stuff will go off unexpectely if it's a bit old.

Many of us have been lucky. I've been lucky too, it sometimes seems to be a bit of a lottery. That could have something todo with the stuf I buy from the Cheap and Cheerful type shops in packs of 7 for $2. But the Industrial Chemist who wrote the item on the stuff I saw a while back said that the active ingredient doesn't last forever, that it can go off readily in warm weather (I can confirm that) even in an unopened container kept in the fridge. Tried it - 2 years later and it stuck like...it didn't.

I tried to take the tip off one of my fingers a few years ago. Dumb. The Doc said that stiches were going to be a bit fiddly so he'd glue it back. He did, with a "medical grade" superglue (heaps more expensive than my model stuff with the same ingredients on the label?) but the nurse had to peel me off the ceiling.

Hurt? Man, you wouldn't want to know. Which is why he "forgot" to tell me first!

Like in the Sun, keep yer tophat on.
ADAGIO is offline Find More Posts by ADAGIO
Last edited by ADAGIO; Nov 22, 2012 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:47 PM
Kamloops BC Can.
Joined Jan 2008
611 Posts
Thanks ADAGIO. I used it the next day with no problem. I think it was like Patmat said. "Too much air between the contact surface." The wood I was cementing was old balsam plywood and very porous. Thanks to all
Olscuzbut is offline Find More Posts by Olscuzbut
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:30 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,757 Posts
Whew! from the title of the thread, it sounded as if one of the group had glued himself to the toilet seat---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
I think PAT hit the nail on the head, with the wood being to porous for gluing. We tell our customers to run a bead of CA glue on the open end grain of the light ply wood frames in our kits, before they start the sub planking of the balsa.

Usually it is the other way around with the CA glues, where you start gluing your fingers to the hull, or even worst, to each other.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:51 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,268 Posts
I use poor man's kicker on my planes a lot. Baking soda.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
I use poor man's kicker on my planes a lot. Baking soda.
Ha ha, I learned a while back that it is a fool’s errand to argue with what works… Thank you for the tip sir.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal