HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:13 AM
United States, MI, East Tawas
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Discussion
New pilot

I know I may take some flack for this but I just bought a Walkera Mini CP with a Devo 8s with training gear from MIA. I've never flown a heli except in FMS and HeliSIM.

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Let the flaming begin!

Thanks,

Justin
j35u5fr34k is offline Find More Posts by j35u5fr34k
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:36 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,721 Posts
Welcome, and no flaming required! We're a friendly bunch for the most part.

Walkera helicopters can be difficult to fly, especially for a beginner. They aren't the most "precise" helis out there. However, they do have a reputation for durability. The point being, if you can learn how to fly a heli with a Walkera, you can pretty much fly anything!
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
Forget the training gear. You don't use that on flybarless helis. They have electronic stabilization systems tuned to the heli, not some junk you attached to it. That will just mess up the handling. The Mini CP is one of Walkeras newer models that are much more durable than the older models. However, flight times are very short (2 - 3 minutes) and stock Walkera batteries are low quality and won't take a lot of recharging. To get the best performance and enjoyment from you min CP, you will need to do the brushless conversion, replace batteries connectors and get aftermarket batteries and charger.

There is also an out of stock condition for mini CP electronics, at most hobby sites. This usually indicates a model upgrade is coming. Walkera replaces or upgrades models very often, usually within 6 months.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Sep 25, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Looks like a brushless upgrade is in order. Anyone have a recommendation for batteries?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:03 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j35u5fr34k View Post
I know I may take some flack for this but I just bought a Walkera Mini CP with a Devo 8s with training gear from MIA. I've never flown a heli except in FMS and HeliSIM.

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Let the flaming begin!

Thanks,

Justin
You know why people don't mind having the same questions asked over and over here unlike in other forums? It's because the previous newbies are the ones answering the questions of the new newbies so the seniors only have to answer the more complicated questions. Ask your questions, and later when the next batch of newbies come in, it'll be your turn to help them out

If by training gear you mean the rods and pingpong balls? You only need them for the larger helis (What does training gear look like for micro helis? Barbecue sticks?). The only crashes i've had are from a foot off the ground with the props nicking furniture legs, each time i've landed has always been on its legs.

Speaking of legs, i recommend stocking up on them. The 3 axis gyro means you'll always land on your skids, repeated hard landings kinda wears them out fast.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
sticks

Yeah basically sticks. I cancelled the order and maybe I will order a skid upgrade if there is one.

I am hoping the Devo 8s will fly other stuff for me as well. I see that it can be hacked and made to work with spektrum. If the CP is too much for me and hoping to pick up an Blade FP or something used/cheap.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
As suspected, a new version is coming. The original version was highly susceptible to board damage. The price has been reduced to sell this model out. Welcome to the world of Walkera!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Didn't the Mcpx v1 have bearing failure issues? I guess they all have their faults... Just my 2 cents.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:29 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,463 Posts
Quote:
Didn't the Mcpx v1 have bearing failure issues? I guess they all have their faults... Just my 2 cents.
I'm not going to get into the Blade versus Walkera pissing match with you. I've owned 10 Walkera helis over the last 5 years. If you know what to expect and are OK with that, you will be fine with them. If not, you will dump them.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:47 PM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
312 Posts
Fly it and have fun. You wont need the training gear. I have the Genius and use it as my sim and the Mini is the better of the 2. I use the bats for the ladybird 240 mah vrs 200 and I get about 8 min flying with the brushed motor. Bounces real good off the grass, house, tree, truck, the inside of the trampoline net and for some strange reason me... Like all the rest out there, some crashes may require parts. Good little flyer
weedan is offline Find More Posts by weedan
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:06 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Yes, but it was fixed immediately and they sent all of us a free set of blade grips with the fix. That is a huge difference from "we're just updating the model to a new incompatible version and if you have the old one, we're not even sorry"
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I'm not going to get into the Blade versus Walkera pissing match with you. I've owned 10 Walkera helis over the last 5 years. If you know what to expect and are OK with that, you will be fine with them. If not, you will dump them.
I wasn't trying to get into a pissing match. I'm not familiar with the whole Walkera vs Blade so I really shouldn't have spoken.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Aug 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Yes, but it was fixed immediately and they sent all of us a free set of blade grips with the fix. That is a huge difference from "we're just updating the model to a new incompatible version and if you have the old one, we're not even sorry"
Yeah that's an unfortunate business model and it seems unfair. I for one bought the Mini CP with the Devo 8s for the Devo's hackability. I am hoping it is actually compatible with the Blade DSM stuff as mentioned on deviationtx.com. I see some people are using it with Blade mCPx on the forum at deviationtx.

Thanks for the input everyone! Happy Flying!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:45 PM
Bring back the Huey!
United States, NY, Kingston
Joined Mar 2007
189 Posts
I have the Genius CP, Mini CP and a "New" V120d02s V2. They are great little machines. The Genius flys longer but lacks the power to 3d good. The Mini has the power but battery life is low.
The V120 is the best but not as strong as the other 2. These Helis have taught flying skills than any other I own. Plus, crash away, no damage and back in the air.
Agree with all others...no training gear on flybarless systems...learned that the hard way on my 450...they mess up the gyros...crash
RamboSmurf is offline Find More Posts by RamboSmurf
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Jun 2005
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
If by training gear you mean the rods and pingpong balls? You only need them for the larger helis (What does training gear look like for micro helis? Barbecue sticks?). The only crashes i've had are from a foot off the ground with the props nicking furniture legs, each time i've landed has always been on its legs.
I guess I'm totally in the minority.

I have training gear on my Genius CP! Had them on since the get-go.

I also have them on my V120. They help me learning my orientation.

I've not seen any problems on either heli with the training gear.
indiggio is offline Find More Posts by indiggio