SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Aug 2011
718 Posts
Alert
Ah geeze this is just what we as modelers need

Drones vunerable to terrorist hacking...

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...searchers-say/

"saved by a remote control transmitter"

I am telling you this is bad news for the hobby in general. They will continue with this histeria until the idea is firmly planted in the general public that remote control planes are a threat.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Jun 25, 2012, 11:50 AM
"Butchering Balsa since 1971"
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
Drones vunerable to terrorist hacking...

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...searchers-say/

"saved by a remote control transmitter"

I am telling you this is bad news for the hobby in general. They will continue with this histeria until the idea is firmly planted in the general public that remote control planes are a threat.
Okay, I'll just move on to the next phase in my Aeromodelling career...control line jet speed!!

"you think RC's dangerous? Let me light this thing up.."
CashRC is offline Find More Posts by CashRC
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Aug 2011
718 Posts
Those things are actually pretty awsome!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,171 Posts
Some years back, in an Aeromodeller article on the SAM rc assist events, there was a tongue-in-cheek comment that at sometime in the future, due to urbanization and environmental concerns, the only allowable outdoor model flying would be electric control line.

There are world class electric CL Precision Aerobatic airplanes and electric is clearly the future. I predict, in a few years time, the only IC model engine still in production will be the venerable Fox stunt 35. I fly control line, but they are going to have to pry my glow and diesel engines from my cold, oily hands.
Jim Thomerson is online now Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:18 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
Those things are actually pretty awsome!
If you can keep them lit... I have one on VHS from the '89 Nats. About 20 ear-shattering laps followed by a deathly silence.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Last edited by Pipemajor; Jun 25, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:33 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post
If you can keep them lit... I have one on VHS from the '89 Nats. About 20 ear-shattering laps followed by a deathly silence.
Pipe, I think that's about all they run, just a few laps for timing and then shut down. Keeps wear on the reed valve to a minimum.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:34 PM
USA, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2003
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Thomerson View Post
Some years back, in an Aeromodeller article on the SAM rc assist events, there was a tongue-in-cheek comment that at sometime in the future, due to urbanization and environmental concerns, the only allowable outdoor model flying would be electric control line.

There are world class electric CL Precision Aerobatic airplanes and electric is clearly the future. I predict, in a few years time, the only IC model engine still in production will be the venerable Fox stunt 35. I fly control line, but they are going to have to pry my glow and diesel engines from my cold, oily hands.
I'm with you Jim.. I have glow, diesel and electric airplanes, and all power systems have their pros and cons..but I just love my little diesels...
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
There was also an unmanned helicopter in S. Korea recently which crashed and killed an operator. The speculation is GPS got jammed by their friends to the North. Some claim the North Koreans have been causing problems with GPS for awhile in that region.

The day will come when honey bees are interfaced and do the navigation. They'll use an artificial bee to communicate the polar coordinates of the target to the other bees and then they'll pick a few out and strap them in the controls of a drone. The computer will speak bee and receive no outside signals.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Jun 25, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Aug 2011
718 Posts
Remember the drone that Iran hijacked?

Ridiculous!

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...official-says/
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Jamming is one thing, spoofing is a whole nuther level of bad.

I'm serious about the bee navigator. They communicate the position of the sun relative to nectar. They arent even locked to a specific route, it's the mapped location they know.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 06:36 AM
foamie re-cycler
United States, WV
Joined Nov 2004
2,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
Jamming is one thing, spoofing is a whole nuther level of bad.

I'm serious about the bee navigator. They communicate the position of the sun relative to nectar. They arent even locked to a specific route, it's the mapped location they know.
Usta...is that you??
daddiozz is offline Find More Posts by daddiozz
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:19 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
I know, it's ridiculous, but there are neuroscientists working with computer scientists to tap into all kinds of insects. They take their nano electro probes and plant them in a pupa and the damned thing emerges already wired up. It's just a matter of time and piles of taxpayer money before they combine a computer with an insect and have it do something useful.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:23 AM
Reserved Parking
Joined Jun 2004
926 Posts
P-51C is offline Find More Posts by P-51C