HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Jun 2007
37 Posts
Discussion
Does Anyone Do Gas DF Anymore??

I have resurrected a Jet Hanger DF Kit that is about 75% done. Packed away with the partially constructed kit is a K&B .82 DF engine that has never been run along with a Trim Aircraft Ramtec Ducted fan unit. I need a little advice if anyone could help.
Ted61 is offline Find More Posts by Ted61
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:34 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,379 Posts
Pretty much out of the picture, now. A great many people have converted their fan unit to electric. Go to the EDF Talk forum, and do a search for Ramtec conversion. A lot of conversions were done last year, my Dynamax included.

Search this link :http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324088
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:32 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,254 Posts
In the past ten years I've seen two GDF airframes operate over four flights, one flight landed with power under control, the rest of the flights were dead stick except one that crashed on landing with power but was repairable. These were at two separate jet rallies, I've never seen one fly outside of that.

If you know what you are doing, your GDF's would probably be a cool novelty at a jet rally amongst the turbine and EDF crowd. If you are looking for tech help the best place to look would be RCU in the Jets forum. What little action I've seen on GDF in the past ten years was about 5 years ago and has been there.

I imagine spare parts would be difficult to find these days for engine maintenance? Good luck, have fun!
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:30 PM
United States, NJ, Weehawken
Joined Apr 2011
28 Posts
One of my friend still have Byron mig. And its still flying great. and that with on inflight mix control. K/B 82 with byron head. I still love the D/F , I have A falcon 120 with a Byron fan/OS91, B-F-20,F15remtec105rossi,BVM91,and Tornado with Twin Byron System with harricain fans, Until this day I still bring them to the Jet Rallys.
So, who care what they say about it, have fun with it.
Angel RC Design is offline Find More Posts by Angel RC Design
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:58 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,379 Posts
Angel RC Design, As long as you have your own" fighter wing" of ducted fans, you might be interested in this!
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:53 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,254 Posts
Yeah, just because it's not common today doesn't mean GDF is not fun! Hopefully you can get some support and find some folks who are doing GDF near by you. Looking back at my post I sounded a little negative about GDF and in fact that's not fair; it was not my intention, sorry bout that! Good luck with getting the details sorted out but I'm sure it will be fun
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Apr 2004
799 Posts
They are cool. However when I first got a glow jet back in the day, for me personally, I though them to be archaic in the way they sounded with the engine screaming and an airframe that went by kinda slow.

I waited for the micro turbine to be developed before getting jets again.

But now with the electrics, I have begun to build 90mm jets once again. Mostly because they are cleaner, perform better, zero vibration and sound almost like turbines.

I have currently a BVM F-16 flying with a dynemax, and a Yellow F-16 in storage. I also still have 2 OS 91s' NIB and a Ramtech fan for the Yellow. So I guess I haven't totally given up on the glow.

What i really don't like about the electrics is the down time when charging. Not really like fueling up and flying again in a few minutes
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:03 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,254 Posts
It will always be tough for electrics to beat hot fueling and launching! At the jet rallies it really pays off and can be a heck of a lot of fun. A nitro or kero jet can be turned without even shutting down in less than 5 minutes, though I really don't like fueling with the engine running like some have done (quick pit turns like they are NASCAR). I at least like to pump up the air and have a look at the gear and flight control linkages while the electric fueler jug tops off the tanks. I have my turbine set up with A123 dual battery packs for the RX and a single lipo for the ECU. I can get four flights on the packs to 50 percent capacity. And when I do need to charge I'm able to dual charge the A123's to full in 15 minutes from that level and the same with the lipo using a quick mobile charge stand in the pits. After 4 flights in a row I truly need a water and some shade for at LEAST 15 minutes. It's fun to do a few of these back to back sessions though.

I agree with the above too... 90mm EDF's do something for me and are hard to beat. It's the sweet spot of size, performance and cost right now in EDF. Lots of bang for the buck and that size is also easy/ inexpensive to scratch build for.
RCG Plus Member