SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:32 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Has somebody with two different DEVO tx tried to download the model data from one to the computer (it is called upload in the updreade tool! ) and then load it to the other tx?
Or at least load the models listed on the DEVO 8 upgrade site into a tx but DEVO 8?
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:04 AM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
If they keep producing TX's in the devo line walkera is bound to eventually make one that hits the sweet spot... if only by dumb luck.

If the price point's right then the 10 might be the thing for me... I know I need to go devo eventually... unless they come out with the EVO line or some such first
The annoying thing is that according to the hackers the Devo radios are perfectly capable of 2801 compatibility, or hell Spectrum compatibility for that matter (though they'd have to license that). They were lying when they said backwards compatibility was not possible. Really, REALLY lying. Supposedly the CYRF6936 chip used in the Devo's transmitter module is capable of supporting very nearly anything with the right programming.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:04 AM
DLY
HobbyOne
Joined Aug 2011
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bytemuncher View Post
Anyone know if the d10 has telemetry?

*edit* Had another look at the photos, it looks like it does indeed support telemetry. It also looks like it has a 30 model memory. Can someone proficient in Mandarin confirm that?
DEVO 10 have the telemetry function.
DLY is offline Find More Posts by DLY
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:29 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The annoying thing is that according to the hackers the Devo radios are perfectly capable of 2801 compatibility, or hell Spectrum compatibility for that matter (though they'd have to license that). They were lying when they said backwards compatibility was not possible. Really, REALLY lying. Supposedly the CYRF6936 chip used in the Devo's transmitter module is capable of supporting very nearly anything with the right programming.
I would like to participate in the custom firmware development for the DEVO's, but haven't got enough time and resources to reverse engineering the protocols.

By the way, I don't know any official claim from Walkera about the impossible backward compatibility. Did they actually claim that?
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:54 AM
Registered User
heli ed007's Avatar
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Oostende
Joined Oct 2011
34 Posts
Now they arrive with the Devo10
I love the 2801Pro i still fly somme of my helis with it.

I bouth the Devo12 and it is a very nice TX if you program it indoor.

If you are in the field and you have to change sommething you can see sh....t on the very nice display.

I hate this its the only negative thing about the 12

Now i see the Devo10 have almost the same display as my 2801Pro ho was no problem even in sunlight to change sommething.

The Devo10 hase a nice pricetag to.

Grtz Ed
heli ed007 is offline Find More Posts by heli ed007
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:00 AM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
734 Posts
Walkera Devo 10 transmitter review video is here.
Walkera Devo 10 radio review at www.WowHobbies.com (5 min 11 sec)


Devo 10 release date is 3/22 and will be available in premium gun metal black version at www.WowHobbies.com
The resolution of the LCD screen of Devo 10 radio is high so it contains graphs like the WK2801-PRO. The screen is also viewable in broad day light because it is backlit. Basically it is like a WK2801-PRO, except it has the additional features which are not commonly found in the traditional 2.4ghz radios. Here we go,

Telemetry which displays voltage, temperature, rpm and GPS info from aircraft
7 point curve
Extra large text which is easy to read for the older generation
Vibration alarm
10 channels including 2 channels with smooth servo control
Upgradable firmware online
30 model memory

There are 3 versions of this radio and all include the new RX1002 ten channel receiver in the package.
Retail Price
$135.95 for basic black plastic version (bare black plastic, no finish)
$139.95 for silver finish version (looks exactly like the Walkera WK2801-Pro)
$149.95 for the gun metal finish version (same anodized finish as the Devo 8s)

We will be carrying the most expensive version, since this version has the expensive look and does not reflect the glare from the sun like the silver finish version.

Jonathan9113
www.WowHobbies.com
wowhobbies is offline Find More Posts by wowhobbies
Last edited by wowhobbies; Mar 10, 2012 at 03:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2010
1,225 Posts
yep, there's my transmitter for sure.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:12 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmerritt View Post
yep, there's my transmitter for sure.
Looks like a winner to me too. Although with text that large I'm not sure that if you need it you really ought to be flying micro helis

Now they just need to come out with a devo heli that I want to buy that I don't already have in the 2801 version
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 09:17 PM
Registered User
nese's Avatar
Joined Nov 2010
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
I would like to participate in the custom firmware development for the DEVO's, but haven't got enough time and resources to reverse engineering the protocols.

By the way, I don't know any official claim from Walkera about the impossible backward compatibility. Did they actually claim that?
Regarding claims, there was some talk about this earlier in the other devo tx threads, e.g. this one http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1411316&page=3.

Otherwise its apparently mere conveyance of what looks like a Walkera executive decision to not make them 'back' compatible.

Though I have both systems, I hope someone could come out with a software hack for this.
nese is offline Find More Posts by nese
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:20 PM
Registered User
Hellraser's Avatar
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
I would like to participate in the custom firmware development for the DEVO's, but haven't got enough time and resources to reverse engineering the protocols.

By the way, I don't know any official claim from Walkera about the impossible backward compatibility. Did they actually claim that?
Yes they did and they were probably telling the truth - just because they have put a LCD screen on the new Tx that makes it look like the 2801 and both use the CYRF6936 chip does not make the architecture of the old and new systems the SAME to have used the same architecture they used in the 2801 would more than likely shut the door on most of the advances that the Devo now offers.

We have seen this happen many times over the years where a company finds that the present setup has reached the end of the line and to try taking it further would just be trying to patch up a outmoded system - spekrum found that with DSM and had to come out with DSM2 which was not compatible to the earlier DSM.

Big question to my mind is will the other manufacturers now have to rewrite their systems to put in place some of the advancements walkera are now using and if so will their new system be backwards compatible

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:22 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nese View Post
Regarding claims, there was some talk about this earlier in the other devo tx threads, e.g. this one http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1411316&page=3.

Otherwise its apparently mere conveyance of what looks like a Walkera executive decision to not make them 'back' compatible.

Though I have both systems, I hope someone could come out with a software hack for this.
That thread contains only these replys about it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehirobo View Post
...We had contact them and as said before they are working on it now and hope to hear from them soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry74 View Post
I ask about Devo and old WK RX to my WK contact and the verdict is:
"The DEVO system is completely different from Walkera-branded system. Neither DEVO 12 or DEVO 8 can be compatible with the old RX series. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by terry74 View Post
from WK:
"It is technically impossible to bind the old RX with DEVO series"
There are some contradictions in them: if it is impossible why are they working on it?
The third claim is true: it IS technically impossible to bind the old RX with DEVO series, because they use different protocols. The question is: is it technically possible to implement the old protocols in the DEVO transmitters?

Otherwise I don't query if it was an executive decision, 'cause it was...
FDR_ is offline Find More Posts by FDR_
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:29 AM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDR_ View Post
I would like to participate in the custom firmware development for the DEVO's, but haven't got enough time and resources to reverse engineering the protocols.

By the way, I don't know any official claim from Walkera about the impossible backward compatibility. Did they actually claim that?
Yep. They said something like "We are sorry but backwards compatibility is technically impossible due to different hardware"
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 07:39 AM
Registered User
Atomic Skull's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellraser View Post
Yes they did and they were probably telling the truth - just because they have put a LCD screen on the new Tx that makes it look like the 2801 and both use the CYRF6936 chip does not make the architecture of the old and new systems the SAME to have used the same architecture they used in the 2801 would more than likely shut the door on most of the advances that the Devo now offers.
No, Walkera was definitely lying. According to the hackers on the Turnigy 9x forum the Devo's transmitter module can be programmed to do practically any standard. They're talking about hacking the module into the 9x and using it to do Spectrum, Futaba, etc. The Devo is a programmable ARM Cortex 9 based microcomputer, not fixed function hardware and the CYRF6936 is directly controlled by the microprocessor (which is why they want to use the module in the 9x, because they have full control over it and can program it to do anything they want). Walkera could add a WK2801 mode to the Devo radios with a firmware update if they wanted and it would not have any limiting effect on the radio at all. For that matter they could add a DSM2 mode if they wanted to (though not legally)
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Mar 10, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:23 PM
Registered User
Hellraser's Avatar
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
No, Walkera was definitely lying. According to the hackers on the Turnigy 9x forum the Devo's transmitter module can be programmed to do practically any standard. They're talking about hacking the module into the 9x and using it to do Spectrum, Futaba, etc. The Devo is a programmable ARM Cortex 9 based microcomputer, not fixed function hardware and the CYRF6936 is directly controlled by the microprocessor (which is why they want to use the module in the 9x, because they have full control over it and can program it to do anything they want). Walkera could add a WK2801 mode to the Devo radios with a firmware update if they wanted and it would not have any limiting effect on the radio at all. For that matter they could add a DSM2 mode if they wanted to (though not legally)
Maybe we are looking at things differently but I really don't think they lied

for the devo to work across the range of Rx sizes they needed a totally different protocol - the 2801 is a good triple transmitter ie it uses three separate slightly different protocols - now you may know people who are hacking the 9x who are hacking the protocol's but can they have both protocols running and switch between them - I doubt it.

I was one of the first to get a 2801 radio and I thought it was a great radio but the devo 12 I now use more than any other radio is in a totally different league and if you told me that you had a hack to replace the new devo OS with the old 2801 I would tell you no thanks.

A few years back it looked like the different manufacturers may come up with a design where the RF module would be a separate plug in and walkera did follow suit with the 801 but sadly that idea has gone back on to the back boiler.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 02:09 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
It's possible that 2801 and Devo TX's could be made to interoperate but it really is depending on the TX hardware. Remember that we have a stack of software here. We have the interface on top that's running on the ARM processor that they use, then under that is the transmission protocol stack and then under that the transmission hardware. Just like in your computer.

IF the transmission hardware is identical, that means the actual radio, buffer memory size, etc Then it's possible that it could be made to work. If there's more buffering going on in the devo hardware then everyone's out of luck.

The good news is that if the hardware (and hardware requirements) was identical you could have your devo 12 with it's fancy interface etc and just call the 2801 protocol underneath instead of the devo protocol which would in turn send calls to the transmission hardware under that. This means that it's alot more likely that a devo tx could be made backwards compatible rather than a 2801 forwards compatible.

This works alot like the wifi adapter in your laptop. When you connect to a 802.11g router you're using a significantly different protocol than when you connect to an 802.11b router... and the point of having the network stack is so as the user (and the user software) you just don't care what protocol you're using. Whether it's a business decision or a hardware issue I don't see it being a simple hack even if walkera handed out the source code.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Walkera New Devention Devo 12 transmitter first impression: ehirobo Radios 539 Sep 14, 2014 12:11 AM
Discussion Walkera Devo 12 (11X clone) Nuremberg 2011 Mikarro Radios 8 Aug 25, 2013 08:22 PM
Discussion Walkera devo reciever question? autowarrior Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 0 Feb 28, 2012 11:58 PM
For Sale Walkera Devo 7 TX/Devo RX2625H Combo for sale Tom Z Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Oct 06, 2011 12:33 PM
For Sale Walkera Devo 7 TX/Devo RX2625H Combo for sale Tom Z Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Oct 05, 2011 11:38 AM