HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:05 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
543 Posts
Discussion
Build and Repair

I have been giving a thread like this a lot of thought in the last few weeks in response to requests for information on repair and building procedures and techniques.

One of the major considerations is: is this the appropriate location for a thread with this type of information or would it be better in another forum? A second consideration is: why shouldn't we 3D and pattern oriented pilots have a thread like this close by so we don't have to search other forums or frequent other forums that we don't visit on an ongoing basis? Third, since I'm not real interested in helicopters, gliders or scale style airplanes, why do I want to sift through pages and pages of build and repair posts for those expressions of model aviation?

I the past few years there has been a broadening of topics that could easily be argued should be moved to other forums. Originally I was concerned that discussions regarding gas model airplanes should be restricted to the gas forums. However, over the past few years with more advanced motors, speed controls, and batteries the only real difference between gas the electric is flight time. At this point there are a few gas models that are in discussion in the "Electric" 3D forum and why not? A few manufacturers have produced planes constructed so that you can pick your power system when you open the box and can even convert to the other power system at a later date without a whole lot of trouble and expense. With the better electric power systems these plane are now a performance parr with their gas brothers. I don't expect to force an owner that might have two of the same planes, one with gas and the other electric, to have to discuss their planes in two different forums. So, why not Build and Repair information close to these types of discussions as well?

Another need that seems to be on the rise is getting build and repair experience to more new pilots. I say that not as a slam to new pilots but look at the last few years again. More plug and play planes that are easy to fly, simulators that come close to taking you right from the computer to the air, planes that almost fly themselves. Those are the good things. But on the down side many of these products provide flight time with little or no experience in build and repair techniques or even maintainance procedures. The questions I get on a weekly basis bear this out. Add to this, flying at the local high school without mentors, low price planes that get you into the hobby and move you up the ladder without discussion from more experienced pilots, smaller homes and no tool collection etc, etc.

When I started in this hobby (oh! here it comes) (no really) we got a pile of sticks in a box and the pinning and gluing started. Two months later you had a plane. Then if you were lucky to get someone to help you you might learn to fly in two years. And Lord help you if you built a plane that had ailerons; the oldtimers might not even talk to you because you broke the "Code"...Beginners must start with rudder and elevator first, no ailerons allowed.

So, the vision; a Build and Repair thread. Plenty of pictures, videos and WRITTEN EXPLANATIONS of what was done. Pass along the how-to's of building and repairs. Contributors be willing to learn techniques and tricks they might not have heard of before. Answer questions freely and quickly. Team pilots and resource people get new plane building procedures on the thread fast. Most important be a point of contact to reduce questions to the manufacturers

Building planes and good repair instructions will keep people coming back and help advance the hobby.

RCMC
RCMC is offline Find More Posts by RCMC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:07 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
543 Posts
Table of Contents:

1. Elevator Installation .................................................. .....Page 1 Post #12.Page 2 Post #16
2. Double Control Horn Installation...................................... .Page 1 Post #13
3. Pull-Pull Installation...................................... ..................Page 2 Post #19
4. Luke352 Spring Loaded Wheel Pants.................................Page 2 Post #22
5. Three 104" Slick Repairs........................................... .......Page 3 Post #34, Page 4 Posts #48, #52,#54,#55,#56,#57,#59
6. Stabilizer and Elevator Repair...........................................P age 3 Post #40
7. 71" Gas Slick Conversion to Electric...................................Page 5 Post #61
8. 72" Extra Electric Motor Box Install....................................Page 5 Post #68
9. Measuring Electric Motor Stand-Off Lengths........................Page 5 Post #69
10. 70" Slick Landing Gear Repair.........................................Pag e 5 Post #72
11. 57" Extra Vertical Stab Repair..........................................Pa ge 6 Post#81 and #82
12. 57" Extra Bulkhead Repair............................................ ...Page 6 Post #83
13. 57" Extra Firewall Repair............................................ .....Page 7 Post #101
14. Jeti Anti Spark Connector......................................... .......Page 8 Post #109
15. Edf_rookie 41" Edge Repair............................................ .Page 8 Post #110, #114, Page 9 Post #127
16. Zirfnat 71" AJ Slick Fuse Repair........................................Page 8 Post #116
17. 71" Slick Tail Section Replacement...................................Page 8 Post #119
18. 55" Extra Restore........................................... ................Page 9 Post #122
19. Komet ME163 74" Edge Motor Box Installation...................Page 10 Posts #137, #138 and #139
20. 104" Slick Rudder Hinge Repair........................................Page 10 Post #142
21. Broken Hinge Removal and Patching................................Page 10 Post #145
22. PlaneCraz3d 74" Edge Motor Box, Cowl and Wing Repair.....Page 10 Post #149, Page 11 Posts #155, #158, #160, and #162
23. 50CC Yak 55 Rudder and Stab Repair...............................Page 12 Post #168
24. 104" Slick Elevator Repair............................................ ..Page 12 Post #177
25. Craig's Custom Stand-Offs.............................................. Page 12 Post #178
26. Elec 1800 Hanger 9 Extra 330 Wing Recover.....................Page 13 Posts #181 and #182
27. Elec 1800 Hanger 9 Extra 330 Wing Recover Video.............Page 13 Post #189
28. Elec 1800 Motor Cowling Repair/Repaint...........................Page 13 Posts #192, #193, #194, and #195, Page 14 Post #196
29. Elec 1800 Covering Removal Video...................................Page 14 Post #197
30. Elec 1800 Recovering 1/3 Scale Corby Starlet....................Page 14 Post #204
31. Elec 1800 Painting the Corby Wheel Pants.........................Page 14 Post #206
32. Elec 1800 Painting the Corby Pilot....................................Page 14 Post #207
33. 65" Vyper Landing Gear Plate Repair................................Page 21 Post #306 and #308
Last edited by RCMC; Jun 28, 2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:23 PM
3D Wanna Be
Oahu, Hawaii
Joined Jul 2009
3,296 Posts
Sounds like a great idea to me.
sk8rob is offline Find More Posts by sk8rob
Old Jan 26, 2012, 07:39 PM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,054 Posts
I'm In!!
Good idea.

Joe
JK13 is online now Find More Posts by JK13
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:08 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,968 Posts
Subbed.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Jan 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
Happiness is a belt fed weapon
Ventura, CA
Joined Oct 2009
1,326 Posts
Subbed, been flying for 5 years and still learning the basics of Monocote.
Cleared2Engage is offline Find More Posts by Cleared2Engage
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, MI, Lambertville
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
Great idea.
Balsa Breaker is offline Find More Posts by Balsa Breaker
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:38 AM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,124 Posts
Good Idea, But please make it interesting with photo's,And I'll help.
doc993 is online now Find More Posts by doc993
Old Jan 27, 2012, 07:42 AM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,652 Posts
I'm in. great idea.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 27, 2012, 04:57 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
543 Posts
Elevator Installation

Team,

The vision of a thread like this is to provide build and repair information from the more experienced to those less experienced in the art of model aircraft construction, solely with the intent to increase the pleasure and minimize the frustration to getting and keeping our models in the air.

There should not be any partisanship towards any make or model of plane in this forum. Those topics are better served by other threads. I think we can all agree that construction techniques and procedures are all pretty much the same from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Anyone can post to this thread, but there is a concern; not all construction methods can be considered "Best Practice." The second concern would be who is to decide what is "Best Practice"? An example: (although funny and ridiculous) someone posts that the best installation for servos is with duct tape. I would judge this; not best practice and I think that most of you would agree. It might work and for a long time at that, but it is hardly conventional wisdom in 2012 and I haven't seen this construction at any field I've visited in the last few years. This post would not make it to the Table of Contents. So, the community will judge information to be sound and worthy to be pasted on to less experienced builders.

Tools and equipment. I can't make an apology for tools and equipment that I have collected over the years. These tools make it much easier to make the repairs that I have completed recently. I fully understand that townhouses and apartments don't lend themselves to large tools like bandsaws, drillpresses and grinders, but they are very useful and I would be lost without them. Smells and dust could create huge problems for the neighbors in the of types of homes. We might have to offer parts fabrication help in some cases.

Expense. We can't apologize for this either. This hobby isn't cheap and getting better at 3D and Pattern flying is going to result in damaged planes and "write-offs." If you can't afford it, you can't. That is where this thread might be of some help and that is why many manufacturers stock spare parts.
Fix them up and get them back in the air.

Build them right the first time. Don't guess, ask. One thing for sure is, there isn't any shortage of opinions in RC Groups. I have always taken the position that the planes we fly are real, they just aren't big enough to sit in. They require maintainence just like the full sized ones and can do a lot of damage to person and property when they come down. Make your crashes be your fault and not mechanical failure.

RCMC
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:09 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
I think this is a great place to be able to to get help from more experienced builders and to give the rest of us the courage to tackle such projects.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Jan 27, 2012, 06:45 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
543 Posts
Elevator Installation

Team,

I am working on a 3D Hobby Shop 74" Edge and have come to the elevator installation. On the whole I'm not very far along with the build but I have installed the electric motor mount with motor and drilled the firewall out for air holes to help cool the batteries. The main wings are complete with servos installed and linkage complete. We will post these construction methods at another date on a different plane.

Please review the pictures for a discription of the work and methods.

I should state that these building methods are mine and at no time am I saying there are no others ways to install elevators. I have a tendency to do things the hard way and in ways that seem to take the longest amount of time. I rarely build planes quickly and this is part of my enjoyment of the hobby.

If you have other ideas, post them.

RCMC
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:13 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
543 Posts
Double Control Horn Installation

Team,

The reason I didn't install the left elevator half was because I hadn't installed the control horn assembly to the elevator. The pictures of that install are attached.

The elevator horns are made of fiberglas and will hold very well to the elevator half with 30 min epoxy. I know some guys install the horns with CA and I guess that can work but epoxy is recommended by the manufacturer so that is the way we will go.

These horns are being installed on the 3D Hobby Shop 74" Edge and there are different sized horns for different applications. In the case of this kit there should be 6 horns with long bases and 4 with short bases. The horns with short bases are for the rudder and the longer ones are fo the ailerons and elevator. We will post the rudder installation at a later date.

The horns go through the base plates very tightly. Do not sand or carve the holes out so that the horns are sloppy in the base plate. Use a #11 X-Acto blade and "shave" the slots in the base plate to remove the burrs. Slide the horn in the slot by wiggling the base plate back and forth until it is up as far as it can go.

See the pictures attached.

RCMC
Last edited by RCMC; Jan 28, 2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:17 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,652 Posts
nice write up and photos, thanks for making the effort.

only thing I would add is that when installing the control horns, I like to put the bolt through them to make sure they are aligned correctly.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:30 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Delaware
Joined Jan 2006
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
nice write up and photos, thanks for making the effort.

only thing I would add is that when installing the control horns, I like to put the bolt through them to make sure they are aligned correctly.
Irg,

Great addition to the horn assembly. Now that's what I'm talking about!

RCMC