SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:30 PM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
ok guys ...

1. i know why i crashed the bix last week... sadly, my futaba 2.4 is dead .. lots of lost packets during operation ..and after 10 minutes or so of working ... red light on the rx .. and no response to controls .. this is exactly what happened to me when flying ...
need to get a new rc link .. or fix this one.

2. i have a new set of 5.8 / 200 mw on the bix ready for test tomorrow .. ( if only i had a rc link ) ... antennas are home made ( ibcrazy's design )
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:06 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
So basically the base of the antenna on the SMA plug?
Yes that's correct.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:48 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,840 Posts
Here we go, my first GoPro Video:

FPV over San Elijo Hills: First Recorded FPV Flight (10 min 57 sec)
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Last edited by flyandi; Apr 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:35 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Yes that's correct.
I've been thinking, think I should ground the shielding of my composite video line as well? It could very well be picking up interference too.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I've been thinking, think I should ground the shielding of my composite video line as well? It could very well be picking up interference too.
Yes ground every thing, it can't do no harm. Ferrite rings help as well on the power + lines.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Today someone bumped into my plane and broke a wing tip off! Grrr, luckily gorilla glue is easy and fast to apply to EPO :P.

Since I was working on stuff, I decided to install a potemeter as suggested previously onto my EZCap to try to keep the sync better. The one I got is a 1k pot, but it's very highly accurate, as a matter of fact using my multimeter I could get it to a very specific number of my choosing :P, I will experiment with it tomorrow weather permitting. I noticed the higher the resistance got the darker until nearly black the image got, I thought that was interesting and may very well be my solution to my overexposed recording issue.

I also installed a ferite core onto my power line for the vRX, and lengthened it so I could place it farther from the GS.

I did some benchmark tests inside today as one of my primary goals is to get rid of the interference my new 1 watt 2.4ghz amp is causing on my 1.3ghz video feed.

One thing I discovered is the interference took me about 30 feet of distance and through 2 walls to get it to hardly be noticeable on static feed, with the video feed on the lines started to show over the video feed with the tx about 40 feet from me and through 2 walls, however if I took my radio and placed it between me and the vRX it would significantly improve the interference problem, but I imagine with the plane 1 or 2km away as the singal gets weaker the interference will step all over it.

I experimented with grounding today and it didn't really seem to help very much, I am at an impass as to what to do to keep this amp from walking over my video...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:34 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
To me. The 1w booster statics disappear when moving 1 meter from the rx video antenna ..

I use 900 mhz for video.

You may have harmonics issues.. (don't know the correct word)
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:50 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Ah! I think Guy1a could be on to something. If you are using near to 1.2 of your vid system, then it could be an harmonic of the 2.4. 1.2 X 2= 2.4. So maybe you could try a 'low pass filter'.
Just a thought.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Ah! I think Guy1a could be on to something. If you are using near to 1.2 of your vid system, then it could be an harmonic of the 2.4. 1.2 X 2= 2.4. So maybe you could try a 'low pass filter'.
Just a thought.
Yeah that would work to stop video from stepping on he rc but my problem is the opposite.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:22 AM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
I have asked this a few times but just not sure...will this thing fly at 1.3kg? (gopro) or would i be better dumping my second battery and getting it down to 1.2kg
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:42 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsands2801 View Post
I have asked this a few times but just not sure...will this thing fly at 1.3kg? (gopro) or would i be better dumping my second battery and getting it down to 1.2kg
There is only one way to find out. Go and try it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:48 AM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
true. Will swop out the gopro for some lead weight
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old Apr 18, 2012, 05:16 AM
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
Quote:
true. Will swop out the gopro for some lead weight
will do
but ! ...

very heavy take off !!
don't forget to balance the CG
slow climb !

sharonx used to fly it with 5000 battery / gopro / fron cam / bomb cam / osd / and other stuff ... at about 1/3 kg .. or more .. can't remember ....

remember that if crashed .. the mass will make massive damages ...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:42 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Just don't forget to do one of the wing spar mods lol!
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:39 AM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Don't even think about flying it for the first time with the camera on board. Add enough dummy weight to simulate the gopro weight and then fly it.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax