HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:03 AM
Just another user
Denmark, Capital Region of Denmark, Naerum
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry. View Post
I just saw on the picture on the OSD on the first page that there was a number right above the mAh reading, what does that show?

Would the Arduino be able to keep up if the GPS update rate was set to 10Hz and maybe also increased the baudrate a little? 10Hz is most likely more then normally needed but just in case i might need it some day.

And btw would also the update rate of everything else be at this speed then or is it only the GPS part?

I have ordered a small neat PA6B GPS some week ago and hoped it would work but i think i read here sometime that the GPS programming part pretty much had been made for this? Just want this confirmed so i know that this GPS would work right away.

The resistor divider for the battery voltage, for whatever the battery you hook up so should this net be calculated so it would always put out a voltage between 0-5V no matter the battery input voltage? And i know you will have to check any regulators so they could cope with the voltage you put on them if higher then normal.
The number above mah indicates the planes position (in degrees) in relation to your own position. In my case I think 0 degrees = north, 90 = east, 180 = south etc. I use it to stay within my antenna beam and keep the direction/angle when flying above the clouds.

10 hz gps might be possible, but 5 hz is max possible with 9600 baud (Otherwise the data can't be transferred fast enough).
I haven't tried other baud-rates or above 5 hz, so not quite sure if it's too heavy. You don't really need 10 hz unless you use the gps for autopilot etc. If you increase gps update rate, the OSD will update at the same rate.

I use the GPS from flytron at 5 hz (FGPMMOPA6B), and have used that GPS as "reference". So yes, that should be plug-n-play

The voltage-divider is only used to measure battery-voltage. The Arduino uses 5 volt as analog reference, and can only measure from 0-5 volt. The voltage-divider is just used as a scaling factor.
Dennis Frie is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Frie
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:07 AM
RC Farmer
Joined Aug 2011
419 Posts
Great OSD Dennis ! I have flytron version with GPS, can i change my altitude settings that it doesn't read (above sea level) but zero when home is set.
Farmer_Joe is offline Find More Posts by Farmer_Joe
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:11 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_Joe View Post
Great OSD Dennis ! I have flytron version with GPS, can i change my altitude settings that it doesn't read (above sea level) but zero when home is set.
Sure, but unless you have a software version with menu, you have to edit the config/setup and upload the software again. in the newest version you can just edit the setup in the menu (with the single button on SimpleOSD open).
Old Mar 12, 2012, 12:56 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
It wooooooooorks ! Today I finished the layout on the breadboard and powered it up and the osd works..Its a bit - very slightly "twichy" probably because of the "weak" connections on the breadboard?

I was so happy since this was my first arduino project . Thanks Dennis again :P...

I powered the whole circuit with a computer usb, it outputted 5,02V.

May I use pots (those which you rotate with a screwdriver) instead of normal resistors for dimming and brightness? Is it okay if I put headers for arduino (that I don't solder it on permanently, but the headers would be soldered on to the pcb)?

The osd was showing a voltage reading although I didn't have nothing connected to the voltage divider..

I use the same flytron gps like you Dennis...I didn't change the settings for gps in your code v17, is it okay that I leaved it default?

I had a few tries with the gps, but didn't had it connected long (in that time it didn't found sats),...I'll test next week for more time, I have the breadboard at a friends house..
Whats the normal behaviour of the leds on the gps ->Is it like this: the red led blinks while its searching for sats and when it locks it goes solid.
What about the blue led? I had the blue led solid and the red led blinking.
Whats the normal time that the gps should have lock?

Another thing.. When I tried the osd without gps I saw under speed I think the three dots ->... And when I connected the gps I saw 0.00 or something like this (a value)..Does this mean the gps is communicating properly with the osd?

Edit: It should be 35s from a cold start right.
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Mar 12, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:15 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
It wooooooooorks ! Today I finished the layout on the breadboard and powered it up and the osd works..Its a bit - very slightly "twichy" probably because of the "weak" connections on the breadboard?

I was so happy since this was my first arduino project . Thanks Dennis again :P...

I powered the whole circuit with a computer usb, it outputted 5,02V.

May I use pots (those which you rotate with a screwdriver) instead of normal resistors for dimming and brightness? Is it okay if I put headers for arduino (that I don't solder it on permanently, but the headers would be soldered on to the pcb)?

The osd was showing a voltage reading although I didn't have nothing connected to the voltage divider..

I use the same flytron gps like you Dennis...I didn't change the settings for gps in your code v17, is it okay that I leaved it default?

I had a few tries with the gps, but didn't had it connected long (in that time it didn't found sats),...I'll test next week for more time, I have the breadboard at a friends house..
Whats the normal behaviour of the leds on the gps ->Is it like this: the red led blinks while its searching for sats and when it locks it goes solid.
What about the blue led? I had the blue led solid and the red led blinking.
Whats the normal time that the gps should have lock?

Another thing.. When I tried the osd without gps I saw under speed I think the three dots ->... And when I connected the gps I saw 0.00 or something like this (a value)..Does this mean the gps is communicating properly with the osd?

Edit: It should be 35s from a cold start right.
Your first Arduino project and success the first time - nice

The OSD-text should be pretty stable if you set the pot right - also on the breadboard. The normal supply-voltage from the computer is perfect for testing. The Atmega 328 can handle 5.5 volt (or something like that), so no need to worry about the 5.02 volt.

You can replace the resistors for dimming/pixels with potentiometers if you want. Different cameras might require a bit different resistor values to give the same result.

The voltage-reading and amp-reading will always show "something". If nothing is connected, it will more or less read a random value. The value depends on the devices connected, the electromagnetic fields, etc. - but will look random. Sometimes you can even see the reading change when you move your hand close to the board. Nevertheless, if you don't have anything connected, just ignore the reading.

If you use the GPS from flytron everything should work - the GPS-config is also included in the default version (to set 5 hz update-rate, should be done automatic). I can't remember the LED indication, I more or less always have GPS-fix faster than I get ready (it find sats pretty quick).

The change in speed from "..." to "00.0" most likely indicates proper communication, but you should look at the time on the start-up screen instead. If it updates - it should work

The GPS-fix time is short, but I don't have any exact time-estimation. I expected to wait for my plane to set home-position, but it more or less always seems to be ready before me
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
This is the second Testing of the Sweptback's FPV Equipment Test. The video quality is much better on the monitor and virtual glasses but I make no apologizes. because the recording is for feedback only. The Sweptback carries a HD Sony Bloggie. On this version of the OSD, I used Fixed values resistors and now in retrospects, I wish I had used Trim Pots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggYtZxdq234

I actually reverted back (Removed the menu items) to make room for future development and once done, I will share the update.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:40 PM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
This is the second Testing of the Sweptback's FPV Equipment Test. The video quality is much better on the monitor and virtual glasses but I make no apologizes. because the recording is for feedback only. The Sweptback carries a HD Sony Bloggie. On this version of the OSD, I used Fixed values resistors and now in retrospects, I wish I had used Trim Pots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggYtZxdq234

I actually reverted back (Removed the menu items) to make room for future development and once done, I will share the update.
The menu was originally just a quick test and is coded very "heavy". I just started other projects and never got it done right. Quite a few things should have been done different, but it gets the job done

It looks to me like your setup on the recorder or perhaps OSD is wrong as you can't see the right side of the osd text and buttom. The OSD could be set to PAL while you are using a NTSC camera, or perhaps your recorder causes the problem?

Can I ask what camera you use?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
I have a few other camera that I will test but it is a NTSC CMOS cam. What I found out about it is, it depends upon the available light and too much light, and it has problems. This also maybe due to me monkeying around with the LENS. I changed the original for a wide angle and get this, I don't know what I did with the original.

The recorder also have issues, it is a VuPoint and I had to convert the ASF file, first to Mpeg, then import it in iMovie. So it is not the best at all.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 05:51 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
I am going to swap out the lens and give it another try tomorrow.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,411 Posts
Thanks for the answers D. ! Do you use shielded cables for connecting the gps to the arduino or perhaps a ferrite ring? How long wires?

what are that other project, are you cooking up something sweet for us ...or just university projects.. One more thing may I ask you for some guidance for a project I would like to try my hands at - its arduino related...should i make a blog post or do you preffer if i contact you by mail?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Mar 12, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
I know this may appear crazy but I am known for trying things.

It is a used CCD Camera system with an adjustable FOV lens that is fixed. Looks good on the ground.
Last edited by rimshotcopter; Mar 12, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:39 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Quote:
I have a few other camera that I will test but it is a NTSC CMOS cam. What I found out about it is, it depends upon the available light and too much light, and it has problems. This also maybe due to me monkeying around with the LENS. I changed the original for a wide angle and get this, I don't know what I did with the original.

The recorder also have issues, it is a VuPoint and I had to convert the ASF file, first to Mpeg, then import it in iMovie. So it is not the best at all.
I dont think it's caused by the lens. It could be the video-signal that's more than the standard 1 vpp, but I can't really tell from the video.

Quote:
I know this may appear crazy but I am known for trying things.

It is a used CCD Camera system with an adjustable FOV lens that is fixed. Looks good on the ground.
Looks great
I like my 3.6 mm lens, but an adjustable FOV will for sure be more flexible. But your image-quality is not the best I have seen

Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Thanks for the answers D. ! Do you use shielded cables for connecting the gps to the arduino or perhaps a ferrite ring? How long wires?

what are that other project, are you cooking up something sweet for us ...or just university projects.. One more thing may I ask you for some guidance for a project I would like to try my hands at - its arduino related...should i make a blog post or do you preffer if i contact you by mail?
For the GPS i just use a standard servo-wire, but I only have like 5 cm cable between OSD and GPS. I would use standard servo-wire between the GPS and OSD, but you can add a shielded cable if you like.

I have mainly been messing around with OpenLRS, RF-meters, a quick UBEC test, arduplay with RF-meter, some timelapse etc. Nothing of great interest for your guys. I just received some of the hardware to test an idea with antenna measurements with SWR-meter, RF-chip and a microcontroller to run sweep in the entire frequency-range (2.4 ghz with the ordered RF chip and 433 mhz with OpenLRS). Lets see how that turns out. I also received the new OpenLRS receiver multicopter edition today. That should be a great platform for RTH etc. I also hope to have a 433 mhz spectrum analyzer done on an OpenLRS receiver within too long. Lots of ideas way too little time

Feel free to ask for help on blog-post, e-mail or whatever you prefer.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:43 AM
Just another user
Joined Feb 2011
809 Posts
Rimshotcopter I just had another quick look at your recording. The skies seems to be completely white. If you don't have a scope available I would do a quick test with a resistor from video to ground to see if that improves the dynamic of the video. Alternative you probably want to use a lower value resistor for dimming. You can add another resistor in parallel if that's easier.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined May 2011
382 Posts
Frsky OSD

Hi Dennis!

I like your project very much! I would like to share with you my idea about combining your OSD with FRSky, which a lot of people use.

The point is that all OSD data is possible to read directly from transmitter module because it has Tx output and send it directly to video glasses. Benefits are:

1. No need for OSD board on each model.
2. Full RSSI support without any modifications.
3. Whatever.

Do you think, you can make such a mod to your software?
It would be really really grate!

I've seen some reading code for FRSky support, if you need I can find it for you.
RocketMouse is offline Find More Posts by RocketMouse
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Frie View Post
I dont think it's caused by the lens. It could be the video-signal that's more than the standard 1 vpp, but I can't really tell from the video.

Looks great
I like my 3.6 mm lens, but an adjustable FOV will for sure be more flexible. But your image-quality is not the best I have seen

Thank you Dennis, I agree the Image quality sucks and I am working hard to improve upon that. I did a test this morning with the adjustable FOV lens and the quality is worst.

Question, can you please explain or give me a reference to vpp standard?