New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2008, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by gazza2003au
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
Discussion
Windrider Ele-Bee

well i took my ele bee out for a fly today using a 2408-21 tower pro brushless outrunner screwed to a peice of wooden broom handle than cable tied into position i was using a APC knock off prop 7x6 plane needed abit of weight up on the nose i was using 2250mah lipo loong max batterys she was reaching speeds of up to 85-90kph in dives and a steady 70kph level flight it also took a full nose dive in from around 20 meters no damage at all gotta love EPP foam and what a great plane windrider makes
gazza2003au is offline Find More Posts by gazza2003au
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by Butch777
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Yea, I really need to get one of my Ele Bees flying. My Mini Bee goes pertty good on a astro 110 motor, but I'm thinking of upgrading it to a lighter outrunner. Plus I need to mess with the alevons, the tape always seems to get loose after awhile. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Jan 03, 2008, 07:40 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
im about to buy another wing i was looking at sylvan's frenzee but also considering another windrider how did the mini bee go on the stock brushed motor?
Old Jan 03, 2008, 10:36 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Stock motor is ok on lipos, but most brushless will be better.
Old Jan 04, 2008, 03:24 AM
Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,609 Posts
Hello chaps, I've just joined the flying wing fraternity after many years watching my mates flying wings in 20-30kt winds.
I bought an Ele-Bee (48") and lookin forward to the buzz (pardon the pun) of flying it.
Is the CG @ 7" really needed?
I seem to need about 3 oz up front to balance it...?

I'm using a BP 2408-21 with an APC 7x5 clone prop.
Instead of a broomstick motor mount, I gutted an old sp400 cam motor & bolted the BP2408-21 onto the end.
This allowed for the standard cable tie mounting setup.
I'm using a 3s 2200 25C Lipo.
How do you blokes get on with adding dead weight up the front? does it affect handling very much?

Big cheers & cold beers for 2008 - Phil
Smokin' Beaver is online now Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Jan 04, 2008, 03:32 AM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Well Mate, these Flying Wings need there C/G dead on, or they fly like crap, also make sure it has the proper reflex.
I move the batt as far forward, if that doedn't do, I put in a bigger batt. No sence in putting in dead weight. Butch
Old Jan 04, 2008, 04:05 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
i think your the bloke i heard about hollowing out the stock motor did it actually work? the broom stick mod is very simple and very effective i found my centre of gravity was around 7.5-8 inches from the nose i also used a 2250mah 3cell lipo that weighs 164 grams i had to add 2x 15mm diamater ball fishing sinkers (squashed into a round plate) i had no lead sheet so had to improvise i also needed to add to that 3x 20cent peices and my centre of gravity is perfect if you bought your plane from paul at www.paragonrc.com.au you would have a 7x6 prop pretty much the same combo im using you'll love the plane with the 2408-21 motor you can comfortably fly around at around 2/3rd's throttle and it will do rolls and loops no problem full throttle she handles lovely tracks strait no narsty habits i also hit a couple of thermals on the sloap soaring site she went thu them with little drama killed the speed but she recovered the only mistake i made when building the plane was i didnt cut away enough room for a 8x4 prop so i had to settle with the 7x6 but its lovely as it is forgot to mention the added weight your adding to the nose wont slow the plane down or add more weight to the plane once its ready to fly no matter what u do you will need the weight to correct the centre of gravity your plane will still weigh the 700grams as the reccomended flying weight your just replacing most of the weight with a lipo battery and ballast
Old Jan 04, 2008, 08:38 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,609 Posts
Thanks guys, that's helpful info indeed.
gazza - Hollowing out a motor? no not me, I didn't have a broom stick to cut up so I used the shell of an old u/s sp400. Bolted the BP2408-21 to the end of it and tied the shell in with the supplied cable ties.
I got mine from a local LHS here in Perth.
I hope to maiden tomorrow although forecast is for 20kt winds.
I've seen these fly in those conditions without any problem so I'm hoping for the best.

phil
Old Jan 04, 2008, 02:32 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
i flew mine on a slaop soaring site winds get up around 30-40kph it slows the plane down a little but handles the wind no problems mate let us know how your maiden goes im going out today to buy another windrider plane this ones ganna be a mini bee
ah i heard about a bloke using the same method as you with the 400 motor i hope it works for you
Old Jan 04, 2008, 07:32 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,609 Posts
Maiden went fine!
Until it wouldn't pull out of a dive and went straight in for no apparent reason. I think radio issue - not airframe.
No major damage, just a bent shaft which was replaced at the field and she was off again.
The 20kt winds were handy actually to get the hang of launching these aircraft
The APC 7x5 is reasonable, but I think I'd like another 50% power.
I was running WOT the whole time for a performance i'd rate only as "good"

I have an align 2500kv outrunner I'll put into it I think.
I still can't get my head around having to put 330 grams of lead along the LE to balance it - that is just bizarre.

But it is great to finally be able to fly on a windy day....

Phil
Old Jan 04, 2008, 08:58 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
phil did u have the prop on the right way? stupid question my ele bee went perfectly with 3cell lipo and 2408-21 wasnt a missle but got up and went
Old Jan 04, 2008, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by tekajo
Joined Oct 2006
329 Posts
Balance the ele bee 7 3/4 back from the front of the plane. This is according to Cliff form Atlanta Hobby who probably knows more about the elebee than anyone else. You will not need as much lead in the front. I hope to fly my newly rebuilt elebee this weekend. Microdan 250, weight of 23 oz, 300 watts plus , close to 90 mph. Should be a beast and the fastest plane every for me.
tekajo is offline Find More Posts by tekajo
Old Jan 08, 2008, 03:36 AM
Find More Posts by logicquests
I believe I can fly.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2007
131 Posts
Hi,
I am in the process of building my first ele-bee. ( Gazza actually pointed me towards this model after hearing of my many destroyed planes). So far so good. I am waiting for some more electrics to arrive so I can head into the next stage of construction. I am going to be using a towerpro 2409-12T and a Zippy R 2500 25c Li-Poly. The battery weighs around 205 gm's. If anyone has any photo's they can up I would greatly appreciate it, just to see what people are doing as they stick them together.

Paul
logicquests is offline Find More Posts by logicquests
Old Jan 08, 2008, 03:47 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2003
4,482 Posts
i thought these couple of pictures i took of my ele bee motor mounted using a broom stick would help you setting up your outrunner cut the broom handle 57mm long and it should fit perfectly the motor's outrunner section will just clear the wing it may have a tinny bit of movement side to side with pressure but it doesnt move inflight or if it does it doesnt effect the way the plane flys

Old Jan 08, 2008, 06:08 AM
Find More Posts by logicquests
I believe I can fly.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2007
131 Posts
Thanks Gazza,
These pic's make it pretty clear. Is the canopy secure using the tape only? I dont want to lose my moter etc. mid flight and judging my my record of late, if it is going to happen to anyone, it is going to happen to me I should have the rest of my gear either late this week or early next week so I would suggest I should be ready for a test run late next week. I will PM you when I am ready to go and if you are up for a fly I will bring the Ele-Bee and at least one of the other planes and you can laugh as I destroy them
logicquests is offline Find More Posts by logicquests