New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2005, 05:56 PM
Find More Posts by txdrummer07
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
Alert
Tell about the SYMA Super Sonic Airplane

Hi, I'm new to the airplane hobby and I just recentley purchased a Super Sonic mini airplane from EBAY, and I just want to know if any of u have ever flown it, tell about it and is it any good.
txdrummer07 is offline Find More Posts by txdrummer07
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2005, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Yes Ive flown a buddys Syma Super Sonic. It flies well, when you take into consideration what it costs (not much).
For the money, the Syma Super Sonic and the Syma Preserver (which I have) are excellent planes. We have been flying both indoors in our single basketcourt gym. The Super Sonic can actually ROG if the surface is smooth enough, but handlauching is probably easier for a beginner.

There are limitations to what these differential thrust controlled planes are capable of, and the motors have a limited lifespan. However, as "toys" or a fun diversion they are good value. If this is your first R/C plane, it will hopefully get you hooked on the hobby, and the next plane you get should be a fully proportional (rudder/elevator/throttle) control airplane.

Good luck with your Super Sonic!
Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Jan 26, 2005, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by txdrummer07
Joined Jan 2005
6 Posts
thanks for the info.
txdrummer07 is offline Find More Posts by txdrummer07
Old Feb 04, 2005, 01:32 PM
Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
I've got one- shoot, for $25, how could I pass it up? Porpoises like mad and without proportional throttle, it's hard to settle down. I added a bunch of nose weight to try to bring the CG from 2/3 chord to 1/3 but it didn't make it much better. That said, it's got power to spare, decent flight time and 5-minute charges off the RX just can't be beat for convenience sake. Flies extremely well, considering the cost! Would be good as a pre-trainer as it literally does fly itself, and the differential throttle is trimmed so it turns well (15-20' diameter or so), but not so far that the plane spirils into the ground like so many other of these 2-channel cheapies do. It flies great in the tiny little park beside my house (about the size of a baseball infield, surrounded by angry plane eating trees!) where I'm normally afraid to fly, but it's only $25 so who cares? It takes crashes well and repairs easy enough with a little 3M77 and packing tape. Also, I think I've convinced about a half dozen people at work to get one too, lol... Drops the shipping to like $7 a pop if they order 4 at once, heh. I'm hoping it will get some of them into real R/C flight- a plane like this gets boring pretty quick.

Mine ROG pretty easy when I tried it just for the sake of trying it, but theres no good place to ROG here so I normally just hand-launch.

Good luck txdrummer! Hope it goes (went) well

Edit: damn, $15 at toyeast.com... I got ripped off!
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Last edited by Steve Fehr; Feb 04, 2005 at 01:52 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2005, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Cheapskate freeloader!
Orebro, Sweden
Joined Oct 2002
3,155 Posts
Steve, sounds like youre having fun!

One question though..., Ive seen literally a dozen of these fly (a buddy imported a bunch of them and has been selling them) and Ive helped trim at least half of those. Weve never had to add any nosewheight to ANY of them. All that has been needed is to bend the trimtabs on the horisontal stabiliser slightly downwards to achieve a more stable (not porpoinsing) flight under power. A little bit of porpoise is unavoidable, since the plane has to climb under throttle, but you can easily get rid of most of it just by adding a bit of down-trim.

Have you tried this? If not, I think you should try it and get rid of the nosewheight. Now, there MAY be something off with your stock CG, but since Ive never encountered this, it would surprise me.

Anders O
Zeroaltitude is offline Find More Posts by Zeroaltitude
Old Feb 07, 2005, 02:20 PM
Find More Posts by Cpt.Krunch
Lipo sucker
Calgary Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
257 Posts
Hi Guys,
I have a tip or two for you. In the soft, black foam nose is a ball bearing. Remove the foam tip and push the bit of steel out. Move the RX to the front. That is a big weight saver. The wing on the Syma is set high positive to help turning with differential thrust amoung other things. You can change the tail or the wings angle but you may lose it in a thermal if it glides too nice.You can pulse the power to avoid porpousing. After a few hundred flights by the whole family, the airframe was more tape than anything. So, I built this... flys really well and is lighter that the original.
Cheers
Cpt.Krunch is offline Find More Posts by Cpt.Krunch
Old Feb 07, 2005, 04:02 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
There's no BB in my nose cone, maybe that was why I needed all that nose weight? At any rate, down elevator didn't work because it would nose-dive in a glide if I did that; my trim problems were definately related to CG. I'm going to try removing the weights and just taping the battery to the bottom, forward of the battery bay instead.

BTW, my previous mod only really moved CG to 1/2 chord. It flew rock stable with no porpoise with CG at 1/3 chord while still climbing well, but the turning radius increased dramatically.
Last edited by Steve Fehr; Feb 07, 2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2005, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by chainick
BC Canada
Joined Dec 2004
422 Posts
i remember I did the same thing, removed that steel ball. But now thinking back to those days I shouldn't have done that. Most of those foamies are too lightweight to penetrate against the wind. You remove the ball it sure does climb faster and floats longer but it becomes toy in hands of the wind.
chainick is offline Find More Posts by chainick
Old Feb 08, 2005, 08:16 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
OK, I think I've got a winner now- she flies good, turns good, glides good and climbs good. Best of all, no porpoising! (And this was with half the stab broken and flapping loose the whole flight, lol) I took off the noseweight and taped the battery under the gear, but the drag really killed performance... so, I whip out the ole swiss army knife, carve a hole right forward of the gear and buried it flush, much to the amusement of the half dozen or so gradeschool kids gathered around. Unfortunately, because I had to push it forward of the gear, the CG was pushed too far forward, but removing the gear both fixed that AND lightened the drag.

My CG is right at the back end of the stickers on the wings, btw.

Luckily, the dunking she had in the drainage ditch last night doesn't seem to have been fatal, heh.
Last edited by Steve Fehr; Feb 08, 2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old May 06, 2005, 05:10 AM
Find More Posts by carbodies
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
I purchased a plane based upon this review and other available information. Once it arrives id like to add to the information on hand with my own input. Until then thank you for the input gents'.
carbodies is offline Find More Posts by carbodies
Last edited by carbodies; May 06, 2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 17, 2005, 04:08 AM
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
Ok i havent many opportunities to fly the plane due to weaather but today i went out to the park and gave it some air time. While the experience was fun...

the plane didnt quite fly as expected and im sure thats due to inexperience.
So... what do i do ? It wants to pull to the right so i bent the outer most flap on the right wing down and the stabilizer fin on the rear to the right (when looking at the plane from the nose). The plane stabilized some what but not quite enough.

Ive also thought of adding a penny or 2 to the rear body in order to offset what i feel is a heavy front end. Advised?

Any help would be appreiated. Thanks
Old May 17, 2005, 05:21 AM
Find More Posts by hobbitcy
Cyprus, Nicosia
Joined Apr 2005
75 Posts
here in Cyprus we havea plane similar to this one but ist the skywarrior-1 lightning its thrust operated for turning.
i was wondering if theres anyway to make it more efficiant?
like change the turning method from thrust to rudder?
hobbitcy is offline Find More Posts by hobbitcy
Old May 17, 2005, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by rumme
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
2,020 Posts
Glad too see these planes are getting some attention finally..I wrote up a thread over at rcunivers on on them some time ago..the syma Preserver is the plane with the ball bearing in the nose..the supersonic does not have the ball bearing..with my supersonic..I immediately take off all the stickers and keep the landing gear off..for weight reduction..I also do not use the battery cover or the screw that holds the battery cover on..instead..I take a apiece of double sided sticky take..and insert it in the battery bay area eithe on the left ir right side of the compartment towards the back od the compartment..then I take a small piece of sandpaper and stick that to the other side of the sticky tape..now what you have is a tight friction fit battery compartment..that allows one to just push the battery up in there..and it will stay via friction fit...the elevator needs to be pushed downawards {both of them} at about a 45 degree angle..and my rudder needed to be slightly cut wioth a razor knife and pushed about 1-2 m.m to the right..to keep the plane from making hard left turns..you can also upgrade to a 300 mah 1 cell lipo..which is a lil lighter then the stk 165 mah nimh pack..and gives much longer flight times...and if you really get bored..you can do as I did {against the advice of many of the so called "seasoned micro flight proffesionals,,,who told me it wouldnt work..and that I was trying to "reinvent the wheel"..LOL}..and turn the supersonic into a full function 3 channle plane..I have a 17 gram burshlles motor in mine..with a bp10 brushless esc..and 2 interlight servos..she flys like a homesick angel now..with full control...
rumme is offline Find More Posts by rumme
Old May 19, 2005, 07:49 PM
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
Il jump right into it for the sake of time.......

Took the wheel bar off the bottom , removed the battery compartment door and replaced with duct tape. The plane flew well. I actually had enough time in the air to figure out pulsing the throttle was better than full on lol

Now the bad....the wing broke on the second flight of the day after a very hard and awkward crash

SO now im scouring information on differnt Syma converted customs and unique plane builds (links would be appreciated). Fun plane....almost makes me want to buy a more expensive model but if that broke in a crash i would not be in such a good mood.

Are the motors on these planes strong enough to carry a light plastic as opposed to foam?
Old May 19, 2005, 08:24 PM
Joined Feb 2005
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitcy
here in Cyprus we havea plane similar to this one but ist the skywarrior-1 lightning its thrust operated for turning.
i was wondering if theres anyway to make it more efficiant?
like change the turning method from thrust to rudder?

Sky Wariror .......Sky Warrior...is that the plane with the "unbreakable" wings ? The ad shows a pair of hands bending the wings upwards at an unGodly angle? If so can you give me a bit of info on this particular plane (specificlly the durability and weight of the wings)?