SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2015, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by TBucket32
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
Discussion
Mcpx bl...will I be wasting my time and money?

I'm looking for some guidance.

I've got a 120sr. It works great inside but I'm really bored just hovering (all orientations). I've taken it outside a few times and almost every time it has cost me in broken parts. We never have NO wind here. Usually a calm day is +7mph winds. I can fight to keep the 120sr in the air as long as I stay nose into the wind but can't really fly it as it quickly gets slammed into the ground.

Should I buy an mcpx bl to deal with the wind? I can fly cp in Phoenix set on 100%, but I know that the sims are not that realistic. I'm really questioning whether the mcpx bl or any small heli will just be a waste of time and money due to the wind.

I'm sure there will be several people who recommend a 450 or bigger, but still being a noob, I know that those are going to cost a LOT in crash damage as I learn. Also I have no one around here to learn from for setup...all my knowledge would be coming from online sources.

So what do you think? Mcpx bl or just give up the hobby due to the winds here?
TBucket32 is offline Find More Posts by TBucket32
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2015, 03:26 PM
Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
16,097 Posts
Did you consider a quad? I have the same issues with my small helis, the Solo Pro V I won't crash, but being under 30g and FP, it easily gets blown around with a slight breeze. The GW 9958 can do a little better, as it can dive into the wind, but still, tricky, and a dive can end in a crash, if not enough power to pull from it. Now lately I got a relatively small quad, in this case a Lishi Toys L6052, and it can handle wind so much better. Not just barely holding position in hover, it has enough power to move into the wind. Conditions that keep my other birds grounded, including my micro CP helis (though that is also because I am not comfortable enough flying these in a breeze) I can fly the quad with relative ease.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old May 03, 2015, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,934 Posts
120 SR is a tame heli. Fly-bared f/P. Mcp-x bl is a good bird but way different. sim is not flying. more so with helis. mcp-X Bl is not stable and sorta pocket rocket. Nano QX 3 D might be good. Has serveral modes to fly/ plus can fly inverted. Or even Nano CP-X toned down. Good luck what ever you get.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old May 03, 2015, 05:28 PM
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
Quads don't interest me. Too spacey.

I'd like a 450 some day, but I can't see spending the money on the repairs while still learning.
Old May 03, 2015, 06:51 PM
Find More Posts by i812
Joined Aug 2009
5,347 Posts
None of my 120 and smaller sized FP's could handle (much) wind.

All of my Nano to 180 sized CP's can handle atleast 20 mph wind.

Regardless of which type:
the smaller/lighter they are, the more crash resistant

the larger they are, the more stable they are

the greater the LiPo output Voltage (number of LiPo's connected in series in a pack), the better they are at 3D stuff
i812 is offline Find More Posts by i812
Old May 03, 2015, 06:52 PM
Find More Posts by Uncle Gravity
Chasin' Auntie Gravity's Tail
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2007
875 Posts
The BL is powerful, twitchy, and IMO, not much fun in the wind due to its small size and light weight. The smallest heli that I enjoy flying in windy conditions is the Walkera V120D02s V2. It isn't as punchy in terms of its power to weight ratio as the BL, but it's much more stable and predictable, and the CP tail is a big improvement over the BL's motorized tail.

On the downside, while it's certainly durable for its size, it won't crash nearly as well as the BL. Stripped servo and drivetrain gears will be a regular occurrence if you're crashing a lot, though the cheap (or free) and easy servo-saver, shear pin and slipper clutch mods will go a long way toward saving your bacon.
Uncle Gravity is offline Find More Posts by Uncle Gravity
Old May 03, 2015, 11:55 PM
Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
1,459 Posts
so if you are ok with fp, the WL Toys V915 Lama like this flies well in the wind, and is reasonable price. There is a thread here on RCG that goes over it quite well.
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old May 04, 2015, 04:39 AM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
11,934 Posts
The Lama V915 is not a wind flyer. It can be flown in some wind if you can fly decent. Might be made better with bl. Its a V912 more or less. Someone looking to fly 450's this is not the way to go. V915 is nice looking toy heli. V120D02s is a nice Hobby grade c/p heli. I have two and they fly well in the wind.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old May 04, 2015, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by Falafel Flop
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2013
369 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I live on the coast of the US and it's near impossible to have a truly good day for flying. That being said, I'd recommend learning to deal with the wind with the 120 (cutting 10mm off each blade will help with that as well).

Like you said, the flight sim has limitations as far as realism. If you think could fly the 120r outside with minimal wind, it may be time to step up to the cp. From what I've read, the MCPX BL is a good help, but has a LOT of power and can be too much to handle if it's your first cp (though it can be tamed if you have a computerized Tx).

I've heard good things about the Nano CPX. Since it's cp it can handle more wind, but a huge advantage is that you can fly it inside as well (since it's so small) when you can't go out.
Falafel Flop is offline Find More Posts by Falafel Flop
Old May 04, 2015, 12:04 PM
Find More Posts by Vodarac
Eyes on the sky.
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Jan 2015
292 Posts
I have the mcpx bl, and also have owned a couple nano cpx's. The nanos were great and taught me a lot more than having the mcpx bl as my first CP heli. That being said, I ended up selling both my nano's because they just weren't enough for me and began flying my MCPX BL regularly as I grew into the speed and power over the nano. I have 180 flights on it and I crash every 10 or so flights. Usually w TH.

I flew this past weekend in 8-9 mph winds and got a video up so you can see for yourself how that much wind affects it.
MCPX BL Progress 4 - With 2 Crashes! (5 min 37 sec)

Any CP micro will handle wind better than a FP micro so either the Nano or MCPX BL would be good choices. The only thing about the nano is the main motors are hit and miss. I've had one last 160+ flights and others die out before 40. MCPX BL motors will last. The other good thing about the mcpx bl is that it is fairly crash resistant as long as you crash with TH. The better you get the better you will get with knowing when your going down and when to hit TH. With the mcpx bl, after TH is hit if you time it right you can ease the fall with positive collective. The headspeed is so high, and blades are heavy enough to continue creating lift about 1.5 seconds after TH is hit.

If your really concerned with wind though, bigger is better. If wind is the bigger issue, go larger.
Vodarac is offline Find More Posts by Vodarac
Last edited by Vodarac; May 04, 2015 at 12:23 PM.
Old May 04, 2015, 03:11 PM
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Mar 2015
11 Posts
I can see little to no effect from the wind in your video. Thanks! That makes me feel much better.
Old May 04, 2015, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by Vodarac
Eyes on the sky.
United States, SC, Spartanburg
Joined Jan 2015
292 Posts
Sure no problem. The effect with wind gets easier to deal with the better you get because you can anticipate when the heli will jump in altitude or drop after a couple mins of flying if the wind isn't too gusty. Decrease and increase throttle as needed. I got the wind numbers from my google weather app. The gopro case is terrible for sound but with the two holes I drilled into it, you can hear some of the wind from time to time.

At first flying in wind for me with this heli was difficult because it can drop rather quickly and I wasn't good enough to anticipate it but now its not bad at all.
Vodarac is offline Find More Posts by Vodarac