Find More Posts by nickchud
What could possibly go wrong?
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
4,127 Posts
Build Log
Republic Seabee

I've made a start on building one of these:

They first flew in Dec 1945, Republic's response to the anticipated boom in personal aviation. Here's the Wikipedia page.

They still have a large and loyal fan base with many of these planes still flying and meeting up. Here's the Seabee owners website.

Here's a successful build thread of the Twinbee variant of this plane. Mine will be a little smaller and lighter, hopefully
nickchud is offline Find More Posts by nickchud
Last edited by nickchud; Sep 30, 2013 at 07:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:02 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
4,127 Posts
Getting Started

I have a program called 2D Design, by Techsoft Design Tools. It's widely used in secondary schools for teaching Engineering Drawing. Possibly not better than Sketchup, but it's what I'm used to.

Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by canard addict
Joined Jun 2005
2,572 Posts
You are fast, Nick! It should be light weight and water proof. I will be watching with interest.

Charles
canard addict is offline Find More Posts by canard addict
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:16 AM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,637 Posts
nick: you might find some helpful info on my thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1625525
I had to play with the float strut length and the float shape to make mine fly off the water well. But otherwise, for an "interesting" looking plane, she seems to fly well, and once I got the float situation fixed, she just skims and lifts off water smooothly. I hope you have a good pond nearby to fly off!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:03 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
4,127 Posts
Excellent thread Springer! Thank you for posting the link. I'm going for a no-dihedral wing, with ailerons and I will keep those float legs short-ish. I'll make them detachable too.

If she comes out with a low wing loading I'll try a pair of those rotating u/c legs. The last thing I will fix will be the hull floor, so that I can determine the position for the battery before cutting a hatch. I want to use a 2200 3S1P and I guess it will be quite well forward, possibly even in front of F2.

Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by warhead_71
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,273 Posts
The real SeaBee only had 3 ribs and 3 spars in each wing for simplicity. This makes for a really lightweight and quickly built wing. I think you could do the same thing, making your spars from foam strips capped with balsa sticks top and bottom.

Read about it here:
http://www.seabee.info/seabee_history_rc3.htm
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by cracksmeup
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,603 Posts
Nice build Nick i have a couple balsa plans for this plane and always wanted to build one but to many plans and not enough time. Its nice to see you building this tho. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:33 PM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,340 Posts
Couple of little annectdotes about when I worked on a few as an apprentice mechanic back in the 50s, just for laughs. Got one in to have the rudder replaced. Under the primer paint on the used replacement one was MARINES. Being a little sh##, guess who had to climb inside through the rear tunnel to buck the rudder rivets. No wonder I can't hardly hear anymore When I worked for a bushpilot in northern Ontario, Somebody came through and landed on the lake with a Seabee. After gassing it up, they went to take off on a real windy day, waves about 3 ft. They cranked the throttle on and the left wing promptly took a dip. About half the wing was under water and the plane sitting on about a 30 deg angle. Took about half a minute for the float to come back up to the surface. Hammered the throttle again and took off just pounding over the waves. She's one tough bird. Hope this gave you a chuckle.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:42 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
4,127 Posts
Thanks guys!

I really appreciate the suggestions, anecdotes and encouragement. For the wing, I have a cunning plan. Well, more of a cheat really. There are two planes in my shed which haven't seen much action in the last couple of years. One has a wing made from polystyrene, wire-cut foam. I think that's what you call it - same as a Zagi. This one is 1400mm x 250mm. It has dihedral but no ailerons. The scale of my model calls for 1622mm x 250mm and I want flat with ailerons, so I could use this but it would need some work. The other plane has exactly the right ws, but the chord is 220mm. It is flat, with ailerons, classic balsa construction. That's the one I favour.

Meanwhile, here's some bending and shaping progress...

Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:15 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
4,127 Posts
Warhead-71 .. That's a fascinating link. A real lesson in production engineering. Now I know why the Seabee's wings and stabilisers look as if they're made from corrugated iron. And that they saved $1,000 per plane by using automotive parts and accessories.

And how about this:

"Observe the turtle. He progresses only when his neck is out."

Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:30 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,637 Posts
Nick: the original had a fair amount of dihedral and ailerons. Why do you want to go flat? personally I think it'll look better with some dihedral, and I doubt you will be doing aerobatics with her (or will you????) I have a 43" span single sheet (24x48" sheet) version being laser cut now, and when I get around to building her, will definitely do ailerons but will keep the dihedral.

definitely agree with removeable floats, I glued mine in and have had to reglue a couple times already.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:43 AM
Market Harborough
Joined Apr 2006
4,127 Posts
Quote:
Nick: the original had a fair amount of dihedral and ailerons. Why do you want to go flat?
Here's a really good page on flying boat design. Ivan has several very successful plans for them, which I highly recommend. I think I'm right in saying that all his have flat wings. I built the Minicat, which was a great success.

Cheers

Nick
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:00 AM
Find More Posts by warhead_71
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,273 Posts
I have begun using the same method for building wings on my foamie planes -- multiple spars with minimal ribs. Because the outer 6mm FFF skin acts both in compression and tension, it becomes a structural component of the wing as well, and it's not just "covering". The wings are amazingly twist-free and flex-free compared to a single spar and multiple ribs. Plus, I cover my planes in paper and glue to give them further tensile strength and resist hangar rash (and make them waterproof if you use Titebond2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud View Post
Warhead-71 .. That's a fascinating link. A real lesson in production engineering. Now I know why the Seabee's wings and stabilisers look as if they're made from corrugated iron. And that they saved $1,000 per plane by using automotive parts and accessories.

And how about this:

"Observe the turtle. He progresses only when his neck is out."

warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:08 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,637 Posts
Nick: I followed your link to Ivan plans. Very interesting info. I noted that he swim minimal dihedral, & I'd agree with that.
Another thing he mentioned was props picking up water, and I found my Seabee needed the spray rails in place to avoid that big time!