SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:00 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Build Log
Another 1:8 Scale Super Cub

Got started working up another 53" Super Cub. This one will have a stock landing gear, but will be equiped with all the STOL toys.

It all started with making up the bowed outlines, then building up the tail section.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:09 PM
pie hopper
Central Arkansas
Joined Jun 2005
469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Tritle
... all the STOL toys.
Slats, flaps, VG's and droop tips?

What else am I missing... VG's on the H stab? Any hints or do I have to wait the usual three or four hours for you to finish this one?

The popcorn is in the microwave!

Dave
toyjunker is offline Find More Posts by toyjunker
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:12 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Moving On To The Fuselage

The fuselage frame up was next.

Now, when it came to joining the side frames I found a foul up on the plans that will bite you later if not corrected.

When putting in the wing bolt plate and former F5 at the back of the cabin, the location is correct. But, the front header is shown in the wrong location. To insure the wing will fit, the aft face of the front header F4 should be located 7 1/32" forward of the front surface of F5.

I don't know how the plans got out wrong, and so far no one has called me on it, but the original drawings have since been corrected and all the Short Kits going out from here on will show F5 in the correct location.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Sep 29, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:16 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Adding the Details

The next step was to build up the main gear assembly, then add all the stringers and outfill, followed by the boot cowl.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:24 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
And Then, it was onto the Wings

Construction began with the outer wing panels.

Also, there has been a bit of confusion with gluing the two piece main (Part #A1 & A1A) and rear spar sections (Part #A2 & A2A) together. The spars are over 24" in length, and since the cut sheets are only 24" long, the spars had to be cut in two sections. A diagram for that has also been added to the plans to help clear up ant further confusion as to how they join up.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:29 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Dave, No droop tips, just the flaps and LE Slats in front of the ailerons. That'll slow things down enough at the projected flying weight of under 16 oz. to make the controls quit working Just kidding of course. The slats helped lower the stall speed a bit, but mainly keep the ailerons at least partially effective at low speeds and high AOA.

Meanwhile, get the popcorn in the Microwave, it'll be finished in a minute

PAT
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:32 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Joining the Panels

With both panels built, sanded to shape, and the flaps and ailerons hinged, it was time to join the panels. The dihedral braces "egg crate" into the panel assemblies and aligh with the front spar to aset up the proper dihedral angle without having to block the tips. Once glued in, the center section was built up to complete the basic wing assembly.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:35 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
The First Dry Run

With all the major framing done, the big pieces were put together to find everything fit and aligned nicely. From here, the servos and control systems will be fitted and installed.

PAT
Old Sep 29, 2008, 02:43 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,531 Posts
Pat

Quick question for you. Does the dimension bugaboo for Former F4 also appply to the 1/8th scale L-4 that you did recently? I reread the build thread and can not decide if the L-4 was based off of the Super Cub design at all or was a completely new design.

Nice work on the Super Cub. Whats next??

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came Isaw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:41 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Brian, The L-4 design is completely independant of the Super Cub, so it's not an issue. Also, the Super Cub is a one piece wing where the L-4 panels plug into the cabin sides.

Funny thing, this is the 3rd Super Cub built from these plans, and I don't recall it being a problem on the first 2 -- unless I measured the wing and located F4 accordingly, which is how I did it this time. Then after the fact, noticed something didn't look quite right and caught it after the fact.

PAT
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:43 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Finishing the Wing

Got the servos mounted and the cables run in for the flaps and ailerons. And with that, the wing is ready to cover.

PAT
Old Sep 29, 2008, 08:48 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,502 Posts
Finishing the Fuselage Control Installation

The servos are mounted up and the elevator pushrod is in. The rudder will be pull/pull, so will run in the cables and mark the location where they exit the fuselage for reference, then mount up the drive system and she's ready for cover.

PAT
Old Sep 30, 2008, 01:06 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,531 Posts
Pat

Thanks for the info.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Sep 30, 2008, 02:58 PM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,741 Posts
So, is this one for you?

Couldn't stand not having another Super Cub could you

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Sep 30, 2008, 11:04 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
A guy just can't have too many Super Cubs! I've gotta get a replacement for my old well used Dare one built soon. It has over 165 hours on the meter now.

Thanks Pat, for the heads-up on that front header location.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce