HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:27 AM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,066 Posts
Does anyone make/sell a "extension lead" so to speak so I could charge my X-1 Batts on say a little 4 port charger ( they will not physically fit because of the construction of the X-1 pack)

Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:53 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Got my X1 yesterday. It came with the red board.

Things I've noticed;

It's extremely light. Plastic on feet looks almost too thin and brittle compared to my V949, but looks nice. I wonder how well it will do in the wind.

Flies very easily with a tight yaw. However, seems like it takes forever to stop when moving fast in one direction. It's definetly not snappy.

Tx light sequence a little different than V949. On the latter you turn it on, boom lights flash, fc LED blinks fast, and then you turn on tx. On The X1 you turn tx on immediately. 100% on V949 is pretty much same as High on Syma controller, but yaw may be a little slower?

The thing actually looks pretty nice without the canopy and just the red fc with its encased plastic cover and bright LED. If you want a no-need-to-mod (except the battery thing to pop out) and maximum flight time quadcopter, this is it. An incredible deal for $35. Things have come a long way in one year.

Overall, at charcterize the X1 as the equivalent of a casual fixed wing parkflyer.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:14 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richos View Post
Thanks Heli pad

Now for some more test flight drama

I have just velcroed my 16g keychain camera to the bottom of my x1 as a test to see if she could haul the video camera into the air.

WOW! the mini X1 was only just over half throttle and she was in the hover with loads more power on tap if i needed it .

I think that the X1 will make a very stable and cheap platform for aerial video with keychain video cameras .

And with all the extra power on tap i cant see why it wont haul 20g plus into the air .

Im thinking DIY FPV would be easily attainable on this cheap mini quad platform

Hope you like my keychain camera test flight Heli pad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-ivsD6eU1U
I have been flying the v929 fpv for quite a while now... Actually I can fly stable fpv for approx 8 mins a flight and have gone over 230 meters far and returned.. And approx the same as high..

These micros are a blast to fly fpv... But even though the quad can pick up 16g ..does not mean it can fly it or even fly it stably or reliably for any long amount of time,.. It took me many hours of testing, shedding weight etc before I had a stable fpv platform...on the r1 v929..
I just received my x1 board, and over the next week or so plan to test this board as an fpv platform as well.. Will keep u guys posted on this...
I have a few videos posted on you tube on these fpv flights and set up...if u want to have a look at what it feels like... It's loads of fun...

I'm planning a 500 meter then a kilometer fpv trip with the micro quad in the next week....
ArchillesElbow is offline Find More Posts by ArchillesElbow
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Achilles, you are like a one man version of NASA. You need like a little tooth pick flag (with AH on it) that you can plant on the end your voyages. Maybe you could have it sticking upright on the front of your quad via a clip. And have a good hard landing in soft dirt/grass to plant it.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Lol.. I'm sure I can find a way to crash hard enuff to plant the quad as a flag...
Last edited by ArchillesElbow; Jan 06, 2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
220meters and set up:
V929 Sunset FPV 220meter distance (0 min 0 sec)

236 meters and some height:
angles of flight - testing a 30 turn helical (0 min 0 sec)
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I think it's possible. If nothing else you do a flip and dump it off. Drop off a little message that says "I come in peace and claim thy land in the name of RC Groups -A.H.".
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:40 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Lol if I cud find out how to use the extra channel to deploy the flag
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Look on Youtube. There's someone who put a monkey puppet on the front of their quadcopter. Looks like its flying Superman style. You gotta be creative with fpv these days to stand out.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
I think flying a kilometer with a 35$ quad is creative enuff lol
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchillesElbow View Post
I think flying a kilometer with a 35$ quad is creative enuff lol
That's true. How much do you think you have into your fpv setup?
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,782 Posts
Well the fpv kit is reused from my larger planes... But the equipment on the quad costs $50...

On the ground.. It depends what u want to use ie goggles, screen , size etc... But the reciever itself is around $15 to $25
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
3 Posts
X1 problem

Hello everyone.
I picked up a Syma X1 a couple of days ago. My first quad. Flew great at first; I had to adjust the trims slightly but nothing radical. Last night when trying to fly around the living room , upon takeoff it went immediately to the back/right. I tried compensating with more trim. As it is now it has to have full forwards and full left trim to come close to hovering, and I still have to push the directional stick somewhat forward/left. This leads me to believe that there is an issue with the right rear motor or blade/gear assembly. When spinning that motor by hand, it seems to have ever so slightly more drag than the other motors. It's very minimal, but I'm pretty sure it's there. All the gears on that motor look fine. The blade is not rubbing on the housing, which is what I was hoping the problem was.
Someone mentioned balancing the blades. How is that done?
I'm beginning to think I have a bad motor though.
Anyone have any advice on what to do next?
Thanks in advance.
FoeDog is offline Find More Posts by FoeDog
Last edited by FoeDog; Jan 06, 2013 at 12:58 PM. Reason: wrong directional info
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I have a V949 with the same issue. There are two things I'm gonna try. One is to switch motors with one off my V929 (this would probably require soldering on the X1... which uses a smaller motor by the way). The other is to check my props for balance. I guess I'll remove them all and put them each on a sewing needle taped to the edge of a table or box. See if both ends stay parallel to the ground. If not, add tape or clear nail polish to balance. I'm hoping one of those two solutions work.

Could also be a loose boom, although I already checked taht on mine.
Old Jan 06, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Dec 2006
156 Posts
My X1 will be arriving on Monday. Here a the quads it'll be sharing air time with.

Raycamaro is offline Find More Posts by Raycamaro