SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:12 PM
Germany, NRW, Tönisvorst
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Okay, i haven't seen that. Damn. I can still read everything from the chip, but I have to tried it to connect in my glider (Original firmware). No reaction. It doesn't initiate and no signal at the output and no reaction on movements... I think there is something else burnt on the board.

Edit: I have just did it... I have read all (Original Firmware) and saved it to files and flashed the RX3S with the the 20130210 firmware... Tada... It works! It initiates and does everything like it should I think.

Now I have to wait for some patch wires and better weather...

P.S.: I have cut the VCC Pin which I have soldered for the 6 Pin conector, so that it can't get powered fromthe false way.

Thanks all!

Hoovernaut
Hoovernaut is offline Find More Posts by Hoovernaut
Last edited by Hoovernaut; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:35 PM
United Kingdom, Bristol
Joined Aug 2008
1,774 Posts
if you have understanding of arduino and serial adapter you could try out http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cScanner see if it picks up gyro?

USBasp are good but safer option would be http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...yISP_V2_0.html
SadSack is offline Find More Posts by SadSack
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:24 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
ok, i did not understand this second graph. probably need to read through the code first.

tried the capt isr and i think it works. it does simplify the isr a bit more since there is no need for me to test for rising vs falling edge.

now i wished the nanowii board had used an icp-enabled pin for their thr/cppm channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesco View Post
1 - yes. A smaller accel ratio might be better. Shaking the unit on a table gives wild accel values and no gyro values, and with 4% the result still shakes a bit. The accel is a really bad short time indicator of "down" vector.

2 - i messed up the graph, sorry. The one above is accel vs attitude, not accel vs gyro. I see if i can post a drift graph (gyro vs accel) later. The code for graph is from that site i linked above.

3 - I am not good at math, and my interval is 20ms. I did find the value that rotating the gyro 90 deg gives me a 90 deg output. This has to do with timing and gyro rate output.

Edit: attachment
- accel vs gyro graph
- soft used
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:42 AM
Joined Oct 2007
16 Posts
Hi Noobee,

Just wanted to say thanks to your contributions, to help many of us here with a better firmware.

My V2 was twitching quite excessively. I flashed it with your developed firmware and its now resolved!

I am now confident to flight test it, will keep you posted

Greetings from The Netherlands.
eskyhbking2 is offline Find More Posts by eskyhbking2
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:34 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovernaut View Post
Okay, i haven't seen that. Damn. I can still read everything from the chip, but I have to tried it to connect in my glider (Original firmware). No reaction. It doesn't initiate and no signal at the output and no reaction on movements... I think there is something else burnt on the board.

Edit: I have just did it... I have read all (Original Firmware) and saved it to files and flashed the RX3S with the the 20130210 firmware... Tada... It works! It initiates and does everything like it should I think.

Now I have to wait for some patch wires and better weather...

P.S.: I have cut the VCC Pin which I have soldered for the 6 Pin conector, so that it can't get powered fromthe false way.

Thanks all!

Hoovernaut
hi mate, can you post up the original software for testing please?
thanks
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:21 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
hi mate, can you post up the original software for testing please?
thanks
The read was not successful. The hex file only had the end data and the EEPROM only had one line of all FF's.

This does not surprise me. The power was being applied through the signal lines from the programmer and attempting to pull the 47uF capacitor toward 5 Volts. I suspect that the VCC never made it anywhere near this high and was probably just barely high enough to allow the programmer to connect but the read operations failed.
JohnRB is offline Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:50 AM
Germany, NRW, Tönisvorst
Joined Feb 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
The read was not successful. The hex file only had the end data and the EEPROM only had one line of all FF's.

This does not surprise me. The power was being applied through the signal lines from the programmer and attempting to pull the 47uF capacitor toward 5 Volts. I suspect that the VCC never made it anywhere near this high and was probably just barely high enough to allow the programmer to connect but the read operations failed.
For reading and flashing I have cut the VCC pin, which I soldered before on the RX3S-board, and plugged the jumper back on the programmer. I have made the power connection with a line from the 10 pin plug of ribbon cable to a servo power pin on the board.
I don't know why the reading of original firmware has gone wrong. I haven't checked it at all after reading, just quick saved it and flashed new firmware.

Maybe another user has more luck than me...
Hoovernaut is offline Find More Posts by Hoovernaut
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:11 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2004
71 Posts
OpenAero port to RX3S_V1

in this post I'm fulfilling a request to post my OpenAero port to the RX3S_V1 (and the HK_V3.0 and arduino). It is only for educational purpose and I'm not taking any responsibilities if you damage your hardware when using this version.

the archive contains a git bundle that can be unpacked with
git clone oe.bundle -b mix
the bundle contains the master and the mix branch. the master version was originally pulled from:

git svn clone http://nextcopterplus.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/OpenAero local_repo_dir
idonasch is offline Find More Posts by idonasch
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:05 AM
Joined Dec 2007
558 Posts
The problem i had with openaero is the way the RC data was mixed to the gyro data. Basically the PID would run with gyro input only, and the rc input was mixed in after the pid. This has the effect that it is not possible to zero-out gyro drift with stick movement (possible by mixing gyro and rc before pid). The effect is you had to constantly switch on and off stabilization to zero-out a runaway pid I-term.

I did fly a patched version of openaero on KK board V1 for some time. People at the club did compliment me "you finally learned how to land". Nope, stabilization.

Now, after having bought a hubsan spyhawk, i did realize what a nice stabi with accel can do. It can fly the plane on its own only needing rudder and throttle input. Ideal for FPV. I have tried the multiwii code switched to aeroplane, and was disappointed.

Got my nanowii in the mail today. The 19$ version. Nice. You can plug in a spektrum sat and dont need a RX any more.
Attached my version of the spektrum (and cppm + sbus) rx code. But Multiwii code is better.
Cesco is offline Find More Posts by Cesco
Last edited by Cesco; Feb 20, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 03:39 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
The problem i had with openaero is the way the RC data was mixed to the gyro data. Basically the PID would run with gyro input only, and the rc input was mixed in after the pid. This has the effect that it is not possible to zero-out gyro drift with stick movement (possible by mixing gyro and rc before pid). The effect is you had to constantly switch on and off stabilization to zero-out a runaway pid I-term.

I did fly a patched version of openaero on KK board V1 for some time. People at the club did compliment me "you finally learned how to land". Nope, stabilization.

Now, after having bought a hubsan spyhawk, i did realize what a nice stabi with accel can do. It can fly the plane on its own only needing rudder and throttle input. Ideal for FPV. I have tried the multiwii code switched to aeroplane, and was disappointed.

Got my nanowii in the mail today. The 19$ version. Nice. You can plug in a spektrum sat and dont need a RX any more.
Attached my version of the spektrum (and cppm + sbus) rx code. But Multiwii code is better.
wow.. I didnt know that people have written open source code for spektrum rx ( I assume dsm2 ?). even more impressive to use a satelite and builtin the whole rx code on a stabiliser board...
spektrum sells that package for 100 usd...
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
the nanowii looks nice to me too. did you manage to find a way to reset the board through the IDE without having to upload the firmware every time time? with the older boards, just closing and opening the serial monitor will reset the board. i heard you can open the serial port at 1200 baud to force a reset, but am looking for an easier way.

nice code. is the sbus part the futaba sbus protocol?

Quote:
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:27 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2004
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post
... did you manage to find a way to reset the board through the IDE without having to upload the firmware every time time? with the older boards, just closing and opening the serial monitor will reset the board. i heard you can open the serial port at 1200 baud to force a reset, but am looking for an easier way.
yes, all arduino boards and derivatives have a capacitor between DTR and reset. just toggle the DTR line and the board will reset.

for windows see also: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.85%29.aspx

ingo
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:57 AM
Joined Dec 2007
558 Posts
Yes, sbus is the futaba thing. It's inverted, you will need a hardware inverter on the rxd line. I use the 12$ orangerx 620. Spektrum clone with futaba sbus output

I am not happy with the nanowii hardware pwm. I can use 3 channels of timer1, but only 1 channel of timer3. Then i will have to use 2 channels of timer4 which has only 10 bits.
But if i use CPPM with ICP i cant use timer3 and the pin 13 becomes ICP input, so there are only 4 output channels left.
Using the timer4 gives me a resolution of 64 steps (32 servo steps)

Has anyone ever used those spektrum satelite clones? Are they reliable up to 1km?

btw i got the hardware only pwm code for all 6 channels working. 4 channels 4000 resolution, 2 channels 64 resolution. 100% jitter free no matter how long an isr hangs
Last edited by Cesco; Feb 22, 2013 at 02:05 AM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 03:38 AM
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2004
71 Posts
Quote:
Yes, sbus is the futaba thing. It's inverted, you will need a hardware inverter on the rxd line. I use the 12$ orangerx 620. Spektrum clone with futaba sbus output
I have seen a fancy software trick to avoid the inverter: connect the signal to an IRQ pin and send it out inverted on another pin which is connected to the RX pin. the ISR can then be implemented very efficiently.
Quote:
I am not happy with the nanowii hardware pwm. I can use 3 channels of timer1, but only 1 channel of timer3. Then i will have to use 2 channels of timer4 which has only 10 bits.
But if i use CPPM with ICP i cant use timer3 and the pin 13 becomes ICP input, so there are only 4 output channels left.
Using the timer4 gives me a resolution of 64 steps (32 servo steps)
to boost the resolution of timer 4 you can adapt the code I posted in #288 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=288
Quote:
btw i got the hardware only pwm code for all 6 channels working. 4 channels 4000 resolution, 2 channels 64 resolution. 100% jitter free no matter how long an isr hangs
but my boost code assumes the interrupts are not blocked for more then 1 timer wrap (~120usec on 16MHz)...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:11 AM
Joined Dec 2007
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idonasch View Post
to boost the resolution of timer 4 you can adapt the code I posted in #288
I am reluctant to use code i dont understand, and i do not understand a single line of ppmout.h, that is one level above my ability.