HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:23 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
During my long commute to work..i was thinking.. Once i get the brass tube, shaft and brass insert into the strut...how do i insert the plastic shaft tube...?

On the original strut.......If you look at the pictures in post #190 ..or post #163..(last picture) the plastic tubing is long and when connected to the strut it actually goes inside the strut...

But on the new large speedmaster strut..once its filled with all that stuff...the tube will ...im guessing not go into the strut...is that important..???
stiks is offline Find More Posts by stiks
Last edited by stiks; Mar 09, 2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: more info
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Got the brass tubes for the new strut and brass insert..also got multiple brass tubes for the old strut..

Now i have the brass tubes and necessary girth...to fix the slop in the struts..got them at hobbypeople...
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:18 PM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
It's been a couple days, where are you at now?
oscarel is online now Find More Posts by oscarel
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:26 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Got the tubes for the struts done..courtesy of my buddy I.E. Bobby..the tubes fit nice and snug in both the original strut and new large strut...so which to use???

Question...how much of the brass tubing do i leave coming out of the strut...towards the boat...do i leave just enough excess to have the plastic drive tube sort of slip over it... I will post pics when i get home...

Almost had a boat "capsizing" issue at home...transmission on the family truckster went out....$1500.00 dollars later...the wife and kids are back on the road again..it was tough sharing my little pickup..lol ... im going to be feeling that when it comes time to pickup batteries later this month..
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,166 Posts
Leave about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of the brass tube.
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
A little bench time

Sorry for posting so late...its been crazy busy at work..projects here and there..anyway took a few minutes to work on things a bit..didnt even change after the getting home from work...

As you can see (pics 1 and 2) i have the stepped down brass tubes and insert for the original strut that came with the boat. I had to use 4 tubes down to the insert in order for it to fit inside the strut...the fit is snug but i can pretty much separate the tubes by hand.

On the new speedmaster strut (pics 3 and 4) it only took the 1 brass tube then insert..again it fits nice and snug in the strut..yet i can pull it apart by hand.

WHICH STRUT TO USE??

I also took a picture of the other bit of work i managed to get done..the new rudder with dual pickups.

I am trying to work out the motor position. The problem is trying to keep it close enough to the drive tube but also get the motor mount (front and back brace) on the motor..with the water jacket... The existing holes in the boat are almost the correct distance apart to accomodate the motor mount...but with the water jacket on i have to change the position of the mounts...i may end up having to cut either into the wood on the boat...or make the holes on the motor mount...a little wider..to give me that "hair" i need to get it all lined up.

Scorp..the motor...now that i am starting to mount things up..i dont have screws for the motor...did they come in the box...?? The screws that came with the mount are too big...
Last edited by stiks; Mar 19, 2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: editing
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:39 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
If you look at the motor picture..you can see that the mount that connects to the front of the motor is not lined up with the pre-drilled holes. I can turn it around so it lines up ...but with the water jacket on..the area remaining (real estate) on the motor..for the mount is very limited
Old Mar 19, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
The motor bolts should be 3mm. They fit loose but I haven't had them come out yet. Make sure to use a little loctite on them. You have the motor sitting horizontal? Make sure to leave enough space for the collet and the bend the flex is going to need. Also are you using teflon tubing inside the brass?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:00 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,166 Posts
Stiks................the motors never come with mounting screws. Just keep checkin the pics on my build to see how I did it............
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Scorp got it..going to pick some up today on the way home from work.

Oscarel.....
Quote:
Also are you using teflon tubing inside the brass?
Do you mean teflon tape inside the brass tubing? If so, is that to keep them from rotating?..what is the purpose?

Thanks..
Last edited by stiks; Mar 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
Joined Jan 2012
822 Posts
Scorp, in your build ..you used 5.5mm and 8mm bullets..what did you use them for..im thinking the 8's for all the batteries? do you think i could get by with 6.5mm..all the way around?

Also, did you use; what im guessing is the kill button, on top of the boat?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:32 PM
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiks View Post
Scorp got it..going to pick some up today on the way home from work.

Oscarel.....

Do you mean teflon tape inside the brass tubing? If so, is that to keep them from rotating?..what is the purpose?

Thanks..
What is this made of, see arrow?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:35 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,166 Posts
Oscar...............its huge teflon tubing. When i installed a new strut for the 1/4 drive, i had to add a second bolt where it connects to the strut mount...............it bent way in on the second run and pinched up the tube and flex. One bolt will not stand the power.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Oct 2007
39 Posts
Ah, ok. so is it run without the brass between the bottom and the back of the strut?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:24 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,166 Posts
NO.............actually i have a brass tube coming out of the front of the strut which slides into the teflon tube..........the brass is only sticking out about an inch or so.

Stiks, i use 5.5's on the batts, then i made parallel connectors with two 5.5's and one 8mm on the other end to connect to the 8mm's on the ESC.