SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:24 PM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
Check this site:
http://rj3clips.blogspot.com/2010/11...-sensefly.html

This is a kind of review of the Swinglet, it indicates the price is $10,600 but I don't know how accurate that is. It sounds reasonable for the package though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
The Swinglet looks neat. I rent a farmhouse on a working farm and I can see how it would be useful for the farmers. There were two things I didn't see on the website though. First is the price, people outside of the RC hobby probably can't even ballpark what something like this might cost. Second is tech specs on the plane it's self. It would be nice to know motor, ESC, servo, and battery sizes. Nice product, I hope it catches on
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:42 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Has anyone had any luck converting their cameras over to IR for crop photography?
Any pictures to share?

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:16 PM
Zach
Illinois
Joined Feb 2004
806 Posts
Video on how to modify a camera for near infrared.
Public Laboratory: Make an Infrared Camera (23 min 14 sec)

Zach
Tail Spin1 is offline Find More Posts by Tail Spin1
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:34 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,615 Posts
Zach, thanks for the info. Sorry for the late reply. No, I havenít taken the time to set up for IR. I think the Swinglet site does offer this feature.
http://swingletcam.agbusiness.ca/swinglet-cam.html
Iím still using the key chain camera as is.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Nov 07, 2013, 02:43 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,615 Posts
glider cam test flight

The availability of better cameras, ie lower price, higher resolution, and more features, just seems to be getting better and better.
One of the latest camera platforms is the Blade 350-Q which is a real marvel of technology at a reasonable price.

However, I'm still using a glider, but have decided to build my own version which I refer to as a glider cam.

The motor prop is out of the way of the camera view, the front nose section has a clear field of view, and a 6 oz plus load is easily carried.

Using a video cam, still pictures can be easily captured (using Video Pad Editor) from an edited video. These type of "snap shots" are at a lower resolution than a still picture, but do allow a continuous view.

One way to get around this low video resolution is to set the camera on time lapse photography and take advantage of the camera's full resolution.
A trial set up of 10 seconds between pictures using the time lapse photography mode will result in sharper pictures.

This is a picture of my glider cam and trial cameras and snap shots from the video.
Old Nov 08, 2013, 12:58 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
588 Posts
John, thanks for posting that update. I hadn't seen this thread before, and it made for some really REALLY good reading.

I got into analytical aerial photography by doing archaeology. Getting the imagery was one thing, but getting it in a way that was ultimately useful was something else entirely. We needed nadir photos +/- a few degrees, accurate understanding of the camera's lens system, a ground control point grid, etc. Yeah, we were doing mapping. Which, from the standpoint of archaeology is important.

But that kicked my butt a month or so ago when I did AP over a nearby farm. I kept trying to either get map-style shots or art shots (for the farm's own use). What they really needed, though, was a set of shots that covered every inch of the arable land so they could look for drainage, weed infestation, etc. etc. etc. I didn't figure that out until way too late.

I like your AP glider approach. It lets you get full coverage with the last amount of fuss. It's not ideal for mapping, but for getting the birds eye view it's great.

And as for your side-looking camera mount, we've got a saying at the place where I work: "Perfect is the enemy of good enough." We aim for the good enough, even if it does look crude. Perfect costs more, and takes too damn long to build.

Since you're already running multiple cameras, if you need the extra resolution in your stills you should be able to run two cameras pointing the same direction. One runs continuous video, the other runs time lapse at full resolution. You've probably already considered this, but I'm tossing it out there anyway.

This makes me want to get out and fly. Thanks again for posting, and for popping this thread up to the top again. I'm glad I didn't miss it.

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Nov 08, 2013, 10:10 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,615 Posts
Thanks Tom, good suggestion for dual cameras.
I like, "Perfect is the enemy of good enough."
Earlier video used a Radian foam glider and a key chain camera which worked out for a first start. This glider is a little larger, heavier, but has a longer tail moment. I was hoping that the longer tail moment would dampen out the pitching moments experienced with the Radian. I'll get a short video put together showing just how well this glider flies.
John
Old Nov 09, 2013, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2013
588 Posts
Hey, awesome! I'm looking forward to it.

Tom
Old Nov 11, 2013, 04:08 AM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Very interesting thread! I've wondered how AP can be applied to agriculture. My initial interest in AP was because of my interest in Archaeology. I've had a few thoughts about how you would go about building a platform that would be able to obtain photographs from different angles. Instead of being a purely line of sight model, this could also be a FPV rig.

This would be my platform: http://www.crashtesthobby.com/storm-chaser-68.html
Large wing span, very good gliding capabilities and the ability to carry a large payload.

A pan/tilt setup which your main camera would sit on. In order to be able to aim the pan/tilt you'd need a small camera mounted with your main camera. This pan/tilt setup could alone be tied to a video transmitter for a second operator to control the camera. Or it could be tied into a full FPV setup with a primary flight camera, the camera selection and view would be controlled by a switch toggled by the pilot. This would allow one person to run the show.

Either configuration could be made to be operated by two people. One pilot, and one camera operator, each with their own controller.

Not as cheap as it could be as far as AP is concerned. But it could be done FAR cheaper than some of the specialized rigs out there.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:39 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,615 Posts
Farm Glider Cam

Here's my latest video

Farm Crop Video Surveillance no 4 2013 Glider Cam (7 min 10 sec)

Farm Crop Video Surveillance no 4 2013 Glider Cam

A powered glider was designed to carry up to 6 oz of camera pay load. An extra long tail moment was used in the hopes that the pitching moment during powered flight would be reduced or dampened.
The camera view was positioned out the RH side, pointing about 30 degrees down.

The video is slightly blurred, but snap shots taken from the video appear sharper.

Don was the part time camera man, and unintentional narrator at the start of the video.

Future flights will use a forward looking camera.

Thanks for the suggestions Tom, Ryan.

John
Last edited by JohnAV8R; Nov 13, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 09:29 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Wow that thing floats well! good looking aircraft John, well done. I use a camera that looks to be very similar to yours, JVC Picsio. I've thought about trying to find a wide angle lens to get a wider FOV, not enough to get very much distortion, but enough to see a little more in my shots. Not having much luck though. Keep up the good work!
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Dec 08, 2013, 12:48 PM
Joined Feb 2013
588 Posts
GAH! I missed seeing when you posted that video. Just caught it now.

I have to agree. Nice floater! And an excellent platform for trying out different cameras and setups. I really like the layout of that plane.

Tom
Old Dec 10, 2013, 12:33 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,615 Posts
Tom, there are a couple of build pictures in my blog,
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036356

The extra long tail moment was chosen with the hopes that pitching with the wind or power on would be dampened and perhaps help keep the nose steady.
Not sure how much it helped, but the elevator response is smooth and the pitching nose up is much less than on my Radian glider.

John