HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2003, 08:47 PM
Boondocks, East Coast, USA
Joined Jun 2003
648 Posts
Endoplasma geardrive

Can anyone tell me wher to find an in line gear drive that will fit this motor? Also, will this motor runequally well in both directions? What I am trying to do is use this motor with a 3 to one gear drive. All I can find so far is the Tower Great Planes 600 GD but it requires a reverse timed motor or a neutral one and switch the direction. HL has an in line 3.3 to one that would be ok, but it looks like it is too small to use with endo. Is the endo the same diameter as a graupner speed 500/600?

The Endo motor with the 3/1 GD on 7cells with a 10x7 prop looks good on Motocalc but I need the GD to be an "In Line" type to fit in the nose of my Electrostreak.

For my budget on this plane I need to stay with a Brushed motor and Direct Drive just doesnt offer enough torque to spin a prop big enough to get about 30 oz of thrust.

Any ideas or info on this project would be most appreciated.

Cheryl
Wolfman is offline Find More Posts by Wolfman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2003, 07:10 PM
Joined Nov 2001
388 Posts
Im using an MPJet 3.8:1 inline planetary box with an endo on 6 cells and a 13x7 folder. Its a noisy box but its holding up well after about 8 flights. I think im putting about 190 watts into it. This box is also available in a 3.3 to 1 ratio.

Adam
Foxy is offline Find More Posts by Foxy
Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:04 PM
Too lazy to repair!
Round Rock, Tx
Joined Oct 2002
3,396 Posts
Wolfman,

The Endoplasma is capable of having its timeing adjusted for reverse operation. Gary Wright has been using this motor with the Great Planes gearbox for his E3D. He has complete instructions on how to do this in the instructions. The instructions are downloadable. His web site is www.gwmp.net

Also, MEC has a gearbox called the Super Gearbox that is far superior in quality to the Great Planes gear box. I don't recall the address for MEC but if you search in the sport planes forum you should find a thread there about building and flying the E3D. You will find it there.

Joe
jperch is offline Find More Posts by jperch
Old Jun 16, 2003, 08:10 AM
Joined May 2003
148 Posts
I am using the endoplasma with great success with the GD600 and a ten tooth spur gear (ordered seperately from New creations RC). That drives a 11x7 (5900 rpm) Master Airs Screw electric prop on 9 cell 3000 mah NIMH battery. Also using an Atomic Force on a GD600 3.8:1 with a MAS 10 x 8. (6200 rpm) THese combos were found after much experimentation to keep the current down. Low gear ratio can easily draw too much current, which quickly ruins the motors. Both combos draw about 27 amps, last about 7 minutes at average 3/4 throttle (great thrust). The larger props recommended by Gary Wright created too much torque for my 43" wingspan plane.
In import trick I learned to keep them running smoothly: Swap out the motors after each flight (or wait 10 minutes to let them cool) and give the comm a shot of Radio shack TV tuner cleaner. This keeps them humming nice, minimizes wear to comm and brushes.
thmtrx is offline Find More Posts by thmtrx
Old Jun 16, 2003, 08:23 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,788 Posts
I use the Graupner 2.8:1 inline box on my Endoplasma ... very quiet, smooth, and robust. I use an Aeronaut 10x6 carbon folder on 8 cells, great power and speed in a 1.6M V-tailer. So a 10x7 on 7 cells with a 3:1 gearbox is going to be pretty close. My adjustment of timing was not sophisticated, I just rotated the end bell at full throttle to get minimum sparking from the brushes.
Bill Glover is online now Find More Posts by Bill Glover