HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2010, 06:05 PM
Joined Oct 2009
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybear View Post
I have most of the Multiplex planes and I am interested in a Xeno. How can it be launched without getting my fingers bitten? I launch my other wing by the leading edge.
I am confused about the shaft problems.If I buy one now will it ge upgraded?
Launch without power. Its quite easy.
About the shaft issue: I got mine about 2 weeks ago and it came with a hollow steel shaft. That`ll do the job. But be sure to get the tuning set. The standard motor will probably just be enough to get it up in the sky. With the tuning set the fun starts!

Willem.
Willem01 is offline Find More Posts by Willem01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2010, 09:47 PM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,311 Posts
Several flights later: feedback

Well here I am about a dozen or more flights on the Xeno and I have to say I am quite enjoying it as a flying wing. The slightly larger size and weight over the swift 2 gives it greater penetration and with the wing profile a very good glide ratio. Sadly I have to stop flying it because the carbon shaft has given up the ghost. Time to sit and wait for a replacment - not holding my breath.

A couple of things that bother me;

Are the usless winglets. There size is probably ok however because they are at the middle of such a substational model they are usless at keeping the model from waggling unless under power or a decent speed. I figure the design team came over from the micro/funjet production where winglets inboard were all the go. Basic torque physics apply - push a door at the hinge and you require a large amount of force, at the handle it's easy. Same applies for wunglets if the had been molded to the outer edge they would have had more effect than just visually looking good. Don't believe me ? fly it without them attached.... not a lot of difference.

And the outrunner fitted inside the electrics bay ? I have done my best to tape the electrics away from the motor but still have managed a few rubbed wires. Thankfully nothing terminal as yet. Why didn't they use an inrunner ? mold a guard around the outrunner ? Fit the motor inside the pod ? I am looking at modifing my pod to move the outrunner inside the pod, or moving to an inrunner. At the moment I can only fit a 1200 3s pak in the electrics bay and still get everything else in. My swift 2 would carry a 2200 3s pak easily. Sadly not enough room in this one to fit a very common battery size.

I can only think the design was done as no power option and the power added last minute.

Anyway I am enjoying flying the xeno for now and will be worth a few mods. I might even look at a mod to move the winglets out.

Is there a thread out yet for Xeno mods?
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Jun 18, 2010, 10:29 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,724 Posts
Hi flyingrally,
Wow, your all most 8 thousand miles from me!! (Is there a thread out yet for Xeno mods?)

Not that I know of, but most all of the mods are here on this thread! Just sit back and read.
Good flying to you
Joe
Joe Pierson is offline Find More Posts by Joe Pierson
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:34 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingrally View Post
And the outrunner fitted inside the electrics bay ? I have done my best to tape the electrics away from the motor but still have managed a few rubbed wires.
Sadly not enough room in this one to fit a very common battery size.
You are the first to complain about "rubbing issues". The only wires I have near the motor are the motor cables and those point downwards, i.e. even without any taping, there is no rubbing.

The Xeno initially was designed to be a lot lighter. A 900-1300mAh battery would have been pretty big for a lighter model. On the other hand, you still get decent flight times as is and a battery swap doesn't take long.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jun 19, 2010, 02:45 AM
Western Europe 52.7° N 8.9° W
Joined Jul 2007
2,619 Posts
Drill a small hole in the plastic wall between the motor/lipo areas (at the side) and a light cable tie will keep the cables in place and away from the motor ....

A 1000 mAh lipo is perfect for the Xeno ....... I've been flying 25 minute cycles in recent trips to the slopes .....

Must admit it would be nice to eliminate the 'Waggle' when slow ...... looking forward to feedback on the Fin mods ....
hobie14 is offline Find More Posts by hobie14
Old Jun 19, 2010, 03:16 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,311 Posts
I'll take some pics, It's an easy fix but this is multiplex not some wannabe foam plane. These guys normally have this stuff sorted. The whole motor pod feels like a last minute add on.

As a pure slope plane it rocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
You are the first to complain about "rubbing issues". The only wires I have near the motor are the motor cables and those point downwards, i.e. even without any taping, there is no rubbing.

The Xeno initially was designed to be a lot lighter. A 900-1300mAh battery would have been pretty big for a lighter model. On the other hand, you still get decent flight times as is and a battery swap doesn't take long.

Jürgen
Old Jun 19, 2010, 09:56 PM
C.H.E.A.P.
Chino Hills, CA
Joined Jan 2005
1,436 Posts
Man, my shaft finally did it. Park flying only and it's setup with the tuning, and I use a 1320 ProLite which is perfecto. Whatever. A quick replacement and it'll be right back up. This is the best wing for many reasons.
MICKEL is offline Find More Posts by MICKEL
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Inverza33
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:43 AM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
shot a video of the xeno up close.
GFBurke is offline Find More Posts by GFBurke
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:15 PM
Poole, England
Joined Jun 2008
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke View Post
Cool! So clean and virginal, no grass stains or dents
frogbmth is offline Find More Posts by frogbmth
Old Jun 20, 2010, 02:54 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFBurke View Post
A few things I noticed:

1. The O-Ring which keeps the blades together is missing.
2. The end of the hinge pin needs to be located inside the fuselage, not in the finger hole (check the manual).
3. The front ends of the wing are held together by the canopy as well. Check the inside of the canopy.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jun 20, 2010, 05:17 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
hah, I must have missed the first 2.
This O-ring sounds important. I look that one up.
thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 06:43 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,724 Posts
My Xeno all most ready to fly!

Hi Guys,
Here are some photos of my Xeno just about ready to fly. I am scale builder
of over 35 years,and I must say Multiplex designes some fantastic fun Airplanes.
How many Flying wings can you fold up and put in a small bag, and remove to power unit, and canopy in a few sec. There customer Service is the Best I have seen R/C Airplanes.
The build was fun and every thing went smooth as glass! And no I do not work for them! I did increase the size of my fins, and installed the servos on the top of the wing. And painted it, and applied a clear coat on the bottom.
Joe Pierson
USA
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:47 PM
allthingsthatfly.com
USA, ID, Meridian
Joined Jan 2007
6,145 Posts
wow! looks tight man!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 07:55 PM
USA, CA,
Joined May 2001
1,724 Posts
Hi GFBerke,
Thank you, glad you like it!! Its a great hobby!
Joe
Old Jun 21, 2010, 07:59 AM
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,311 Posts
Wow Joe looks great don't forget to report back on the bigger fins. It looks like it could be awhile before I get my replacment shaft for the tuning kit so I have some time to make mods.

GFB, nive vid dude looking forward to sloping video.

Thanks Jürgen, I went back and reviewed the Manual, while it's not very clear I see what you mean about the hinge pin. Nice one
But.. I can't find anything on the o ring ? I went back to my kit and don't have any parts left over ? Also I can't see the part in the manual, Could you let me know which ABB (manual picture) it's in ?

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pierson View Post
Hi Guys,
Here are some photos of my Xeno just about ready to fly. I am scale builder
of over 35 years,and I must say Multiplex designes some fantastic fun Airplanes.
How many Flying wings can you fold up and put in a small bag, and remove to power unit, and canopy in a few sec. There customer Service is the Best I have seen R/C Airplanes.
The build was fun and every thing went smooth as glass! And no I do not work for them! I did increase the size of my fins, and installed the servos on the top of the wing. And painted it, and applied a clear coat on the bottom.
Joe Pierson
USA