Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 09, 2007, 10:53 AM
fast chevron foam
United States, CA, Laguna Niguel
Joined Jun 2005
660 Posts
Discussion
Best nimh charger for slope?

I have been using the stock Tx/Rx charger for years now. Do you guys use something better, especially for trickling multiple slopers at once? I find it quite a chore to keep all my slopers topped off, since nimh batteries "leak". When the wind looks good, the one I want to fly is usually low

Thanks,
Dan
WingmanDan is offline Find More Posts by WingmanDan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2007, 10:57 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,215 Posts
Sirius Pro charger all the way. You can charge tx and plane, or two planes at once with an adaptor. Totally automated - just plug in and go. No readout means you can't check for false peaks, though.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:00 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,351 Posts
You don't have to trickle charge them...
I usually charge my 700 MaH AAA's at .3, so it only takes about an hour to top up from half empty.

I have a MPX 5014, and a Dymond Turbo Charger (NLA). Both display what is put into, and removed from, the packs.
The MPX does LiPo's and Lead-Acid. I like that, due to the fact that I usually bring the small Gel-Cell 12V lead battery with me out to remote F3F races, in case my plane or someone elses, needs topping up.
The triton is a fine charger, as well. All mentioned are 12V input only; you'll need a power source with them.

T
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:03 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
No readout means you can't check for false peaks, though.

That's the reason that I only use the Siruis as a field topper; I make sure a solid load gets into my planes at the shop, the night before with the other types of chargers.
I personally haven't had trouble with my Sirius Charger, but others have.

T
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:08 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,351 Posts
Also, Dan, do you have a battery tester, like the one that Hitec and Futaba sell?
That is a great investment, for @ $20.00....

I like to check my planes before throwing them of a cliff. But you could also use it at your shop, to see what's left in each plane.

Another thought, is I have heard of guys plugging in a power strip to a wall timer, with all their wall chargers plugged into the strip. They leave their fleet plugged in, and the timer is set to charge an hour or two each day- enough to "maintain" a full battery...
You'd want to make all your flight packs the same capacity, and figure out what the daily loss is, then add a little time to that.
AND use the tester!

T
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:11 AM
USA, CO, Lakewood
Joined Sep 2002
835 Posts
Take a look at the Super Digipulse. It'll keep up to six packs toped off and ready, and it'll handle packs from 100 to 9000ma.

Joe
JoeSantora is offline Find More Posts by JoeSantora
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:23 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,351 Posts
That's an Ace charger, right Joe?
I knew there were a few that did multiples, but couldn't remember which it was. I think it does a TX at the same time, if I recall correctly.

Target
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:32 AM
RC LIFER
santa rosa California
Joined Aug 2005
2,001 Posts
Ripmax Prodegy peak II. $60 and it'll do anything. DC only though.
Mike the Snake is offline Find More Posts by Mike the Snake
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:35 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Snake
Ripmax Prodegy peak II. $60 and it'll do anything. DC only though.

There is a slew of these similar chargers. I think they are all based on the same thing, made by the same Manufacturer; but maybe not...
They all seem very similar to the MPX 5014...
Old Mar 09, 2007, 11:39 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,215 Posts
I have a MPX LN 5014 as well. Nice charger, but a bit fiddly to program compared to the Sirius Pro.

Target raised a good point, which is that a field tester is a vital complement to any charging system. Even though the Sirius pro doesn't have a readout, by using VoltWatches in planes and a Futaba BR2000 battery checker, I can keep pretty good tabs on each battery's condition at the field, and ensure that it has actually been fully charged.

Like Target, I have not had problems with my Sirius Pro.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Mar 09, 2007, 12:03 PM
F3X
Costa Mesa, CA USA
Joined Jun 2001
1,822 Posts
If you want to charge 2 batteries at the same time and run AC + DC then get the Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite Battery Cycler.
It is basically 2 MPX 5014 in one case with a AC power supply.

It will charge/discharge on either side of the charger independently and can be bought for near the same as the Sirius. Plus you KNOW what is going on with your batteries.

Hobby People and Tower sell them.

If you can use the single output and want to save a few bucks get the MPX 5014 I have one for 2 or 3 years now and it's all I use. I have them in stock. Call to order. 949-645-7032
F3X is offline Find More Posts by F3X
Old Mar 09, 2007, 12:04 PM
USA, CO, Lakewood
Joined Sep 2002
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target
That's an Ace charger, right Joe?
I knew there were a few that did multiples, but couldn't remember which it was. I think it does a TX at the same time, if I recall correctly.

Target
That's the one. 1-10cells and 100 to 9000ma, up to six at a time

JoeSantora is offline Find More Posts by JoeSantora
Old Mar 09, 2007, 12:06 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,920 Posts
The power strip setup youre thinking of is made by "TME". it uses a bunnch of wall warts that cycle on and off constantly. A friend of mine has been using one since 1995 or so, and he likes it.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old Mar 09, 2007, 12:11 PM
Crashing!Unknown unknowns
Near Oxford
Joined Nov 2006
175 Posts
I think the key feature you need is to be able to discharge and charge the cells automatically as in the Prodigy 2 and others. The cells have memories you know!
Paul
Pauld109 is offline Find More Posts by Pauld109