Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 02, 2014, 09:33 AM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnokey View Post
- the wings go on today - as everything is lined up and adjusted - is there a top wing incidence number that is different from the other two wings? I have the opportunity to adjust it slightly - from the plans and research, all three wings are at 0 - and the elevator is at +3 (or so) , Thoughts?
Hi Jon..I did some research and found on Nick Ziroli's website he is setting the incidence of the wings and stab at 2 1/2 and 2. Not sure if that helps you, but here is the link http://www.ziroliplans.com/ziroliplans/DR1%20Plan.html.

Since the stab is already in attitude down you probably don't want it "banking" anymore.

Hope this helps.

Sean

Also I am building Pete's 1/6 and it is nicely set up for the pull pull controls and you definitely will find it a lot of fun to build.
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2014, 11:08 AM
AKA Jon Rider
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined May 2004
1,015 Posts
Wonderful - Thanks - -
Shnokey is online now Find More Posts by Shnokey
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2014, 05:09 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,015 Posts
Had to re-position the upper wing strut locations - one rib width outside (1/8") - the struts were "bending in" and that would not do... - but all set now, and the upper wing servo's are installed, and I used adjustable Du-bro micro fasteners. The wings all aligned and glued up - Tight-bond on the lower and middle wings, 15 minute epoxy on the top, Measure 20 times, glue once - - the messy bench is an illusion - it's really "Clean" in real life...(not really) but "cluttered desk, clean mind"? -

Cabane struts tonight, hiding the wire,and the servo lead from the top wing - Home stretch -
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2014, 05:25 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,550 Posts
Looks great Jon!
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Mar 05, 2014, 12:37 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Oct 2013
20 Posts
Could you show how you hid the servo wire?
Mrgunnar177 is offline Find More Posts by Mrgunnar177
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:21 PM
United States, IL, St Charles
Joined Jan 2013
2 Posts
Looks awesome. i too would be interested in how you hide the wires.
scootb is offline Find More Posts by scootb
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:37 PM
S/E Michigan
Joined Jun 2010
1,630 Posts
I wonder if there will ever be wireless servos?
phillip57 is offline Find More Posts by phillip57
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:58 PM
Is it suppose to do that?
USA, CT, Waterbury
Joined Sep 2006
1,009 Posts
Why not. Each servo would need a wireless receiver and the receiver could act like a hub. Think of our wireless networks at home; printing, faxing, etc. just on a smaller scale. I would be worried about interference. I get that all the time at my house due to the wire meshing in the walls.

Sean
moscow580 is offline Find More Posts by moscow580
Old Mar 05, 2014, 04:25 PM
Joined Mar 2009
363 Posts
Shnokey, with regards to moving the upper wing strut, is this something that you would recommend for all upper wings of this model? I've not started mine yet so have the opportunity to avoid the problem.
MikeSawicki is offline Find More Posts by MikeSawicki
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2014, 07:39 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSawicki View Post
Shnokey, with regards to moving the upper wing strut, is this something that you would recommend for all upper wings of this model? I've not started mine yet so have the opportunity to avoid the problem.
Just make sure it's perfect with the plan design - I think the wing was built with the insert tab on the wrong location on the wing - As you may recall, I did not assemble the wing, and since it is covered, I can't look at the plans and measure - I just saw the outside struts bend far inwards (1/8 inch or so) on each side - something did not look right. When you have your wings together, test fit them "in the bones" to make sure everything lines up correctly - in this case, it was an easy fix, but some surgery was in order -
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 01:06 PM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,015 Posts
I mounted the wings and made the cabane strut "wood covers" to cover the piano wire out of hard balsa, the right rear one hides the aileron servo control wire, I cut a groove in it the same size as the servo wire, so it fits right in. The images show the aligned wire, and after one coat or red paint. As you may recall, I soldered the aileron wires together in the wing, so only one wire will come down to the receiver.

The cockpit combing covers (still to be made) will completely hide the wires in the cockpit.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2014, 03:35 PM
United States, NY, Dobbs Ferry
Joined Oct 2008
589 Posts
Nice! still love the shiny red cowl...

Stephen
nytjadens is offline Find More Posts by nytjadens
Old Mar 07, 2014, 05:26 PM
Oh no, not again!
United States, LA, Carencro
Joined Dec 2005
5,251 Posts
That is one pretty airplane. I really do like the overall effect of the finish, it just feels right.

Congrats, Jeff
jhspring is offline Find More Posts by jhspring
Old Mar 08, 2014, 07:07 AM
AKA Jon Rider
Joined May 2004
1,015 Posts
Thanks Jeff and Stephen - More to build - but oh so close - when do we stop fiddling?

A side note - for those looking for attaching hatches, pilots and any other thing on your plane, and you don't want to pay big dollars for rare earth magnets... I bought a couple "executive desk toys" called Buckey Cubes - http://www.supramagnets.com/cubes/79...Fa_m7AodcQ0ACQ 125 magnets 5mm square and very strong for about 20 bucks. I have had them for years, and not even through half the amount.. .just a quick tip. You can see how I used the cubes on my cowl attachment, and the battery hatch.

Bottom "Battery" hatch assembled last night, trial fit of the landing gear so I could operate the hatch easily and place the battery without breaking stuff. prepped the bottom for covering, attached all the electronics and tested each control surface, Home stretch -
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2014, 09:27 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
260 Posts
Thanks for the link to the magnets. Can't beat the price and I've been accused of putting round pegs in square holes so the reciprocal should work for me.

Ron
rtibbetts@hotm is offline Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Last edited by rtibbetts@hotm; Mar 08, 2014 at 12:34 PM.