HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2014, 05:33 PM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr View Post
Keep repairing it and keeping the count. These Ringmasters aren't designed to die.
Okee dokee!
propaplace is online now Find More Posts by propaplace
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2014, 05:35 PM
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by army_eod View Post
nice job on that...
You'll never guess how WONDERFULLY proficient I've become .... repairing!! R.O.T.F.L.!!
Old Mar 05, 2014, 09:31 AM
NYC
Joined Apr 2005
326 Posts
About 500 on my E-SV22. Still looks as good as new. Getting ready to retire it to back-up duty as its relacement is almost done.
bogusbob1 is offline Find More Posts by bogusbob1
Old Mar 05, 2014, 09:40 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propaplace View Post
You'll never guess how WONDERFULLY proficient I've become .... repairing!! R.O.T.F.L.!!
The mark of a master craftsman cabinet making carpenter is not that there are mistakes and flaws, but how well he is able to hide them.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2014, 02:58 PM
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
L.O.L.!! I would love to agree with you but most of the people who see my stuff can't see much better than me anyway!! R.O.T.F.L.!!
Old Mar 05, 2014, 03:42 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
578 Posts
True. The fact people are less fussy is even better. For myself, I'm the one flying, not them, so what I do to please myself is of no matter to them.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2014, 04:25 PM
United States, SC, Columbia
Joined May 2010
1,355 Posts
Hey, Propaplace, I was so disappointed to see you sitting there amongst your wreckage, but, hey, you managed a grin so good for you. You've inspired me to start a flight count, so I'll be catching up to you in a couple of years. I'm finishing up a couple of new planes to fly this Spring. Can't wait for warm weather.
Rusty
RknRusty is offline Find More Posts by RknRusty
Old Mar 05, 2014, 06:34 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
578 Posts
That flight count is a good idea, too. May be I should start that when I fly my Ringmaster S-1 with McCoy .35 Red Head.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2014, 07:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Rusty, don't wait!!! Come on down to Florida and fly with us!!! Love ta' have ya'! George, ain't no reason not to keep a log of your flights .... matter of fact it's a real thrill!
Old Mar 05, 2014, 10:36 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
I'm embarrassed to keep showing these ~15 year old airplanes over and over again but they DO fit the bill!These were flown regularly for 5 or 6 years. I just might fly them this coming year. The Butz 'Special' didn't make one flight! It came in upon launch and I couldn't back pedal fast enough to get the lines tight. I was pushing it too close trying to get that extra mph out of it. If you look carefully you will see there is no 'out thrust' on the engine. Shame on me!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Mar 06, 2014, 07:44 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
578 Posts
Sorry to hear of your crash, ARUP, but that Special certainly looks repairable. Did that happen some time ago, or recent?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2014, 09:44 PM
United States, KY, Taylorsville
Joined Mar 2010
1,538 Posts
Thanks for the sympathies, GallopingGhostlr but as you know... it happens! This was about 5-7 years ago. I suppose it could have been rebuilt but it would have been difficult and would never have been as 'slick' as original. The 'Special' was very lightweight. I used very choice wood and very little wood at that! I don't remember the numbers but my buddies were as amazed as I was! When it was turned loose it just jumped off the ground and rolled inward to me quicker than anything I've ever seen and I'm pretty fast on my feet!
ARUP is offline Find More Posts by ARUP
Old Mar 06, 2014, 10:00 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
578 Posts
Is there a moral to the story there, ARUP or perhaps a bad launch? Then I gather you must have built another or something similar to it, incorporating the lessons learned?

In a way I understand. I had a Peck Polymer Japanese Zero peanut scale I framed in college 35 years ago. Then through various moves never got around to finishing it. A board on my desk fell on it breaking the fuselage. That was that, no sense in trying to fix the frame and cover it. I'll probably save the canopy and plans, trash the box and rest. It was just too delicate to repair.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2014, 03:17 PM
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propaplace View Post
Rusty, don't wait!!! Come on down to Florida and fly with us!!! Love ta' have ya'! George, ain't no reason not to keep a log of your flights .... matter of fact it's a real thrill!
Okay fellow pilots!! I've done it .... the repairs are compete. I went out this morning and flew two more flights bringing the total to 329. YEEE HAAAAAA!! In making the repairs I decided to remove the engine cylinder head, for the first time since I got it from Fox, because it was really stiff at T.D.C. and I thought there may have been some damage. I couldn't find anything of note other than the very heavy carbonization of the head and cylinder wall. Using my finger I couldn't feel any significant build up and I was afraid to use my Dremel to clean it out. As a result I just remounted the cylinder head and decided to try it again. The only negative I have about the engine run today is the need to use my electric starter to get it fired up. I've ordered some Brodak 10/23 castor/synthetic fuel because up until now every run (well over 225 have been with the Brodak 10/29 all castor fuel). Anybody got some "easy" solutions?
Old Mar 10, 2014, 04:18 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
578 Posts
That's fantastic, propaplace. Regarding improvements, I don't know of any easy solutions. When an engine starts to act up or has problems, I'll do a tear down, clean, devarnish if required (might not be a good idea if that is what the piston seal is depended on for a worn engine), then reassemble, do a test run to verify I've corrected the problem.

The old Ringmaster lives on, excellent, and kudos on keeping the count.
RCG Plus Member